Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, got a weird one for you all.. hopefully we can get to the bottom of this.
So at first when i got the car absolutely no interior light was working, doors we're not showing up on cluster display as open(absolutley none) even when turning on lights manually still nothing.
At first glance i thought heck, maybe it's the door switches in every door.
But before that i thought i'll get another Comfort Module same partnumber, and then lights are working just fine, manually and when opening doors too, trunk aswell.

Here comes the interesting part, opening any door right now, turns on the lights inside(so the door switches are working). BUT in the cluster i get nothing, only thing that it shows as open, if i open it, is the bonnet.
Even weirder now, the car randomly locks itself when opening the trunk, as in when i open the trunk the doors all close. (Tried key out of ignition, key in ignition at run position, engine on, still happened NOT everytime but it happens quite often)

WILL POST VCDS SCAN of 46, asap, but from what i remember there's a fault with my rear right door module, could it be the culprit of all this? especially the random locking when opening trunk>?Already got a working rear right module, for replacing just did not get around to do it yet. Should i try another comfort module first?
Regarding the cluster i'm 99% sure it's not it at fault, i had it in another car before and it worked fine.

TL DR, when opening doors interior lights come on, but cluster does not recognize doors as open.

·
Registered
11,301 Posts
check if the connector is clean on the cluster... also check the rear hatch switch and by all means do a vcds scan of 46... it must have logged a fault-code.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, back with the vcds scan, cluster connectors are clean. first scan with 7 faults is before clearing codes, then comes the one after i cleared codes. locked and unlocked car, tried opening trunk until it locked car(only took 2 tries) and scanned again.

also when replacing comfort module is there something i should have done with VCDS? Besides learning the key again?

Attachments

·
Registered
11,301 Posts
nope the coding is right so nothing else rather than key coding... that said it seems to me that it doesn't activate the cluster because the main control ( drivers door switch) is intermittent i would replace the lot with new eBay specials... or find good OEM ones from a scrapper.

PS check the rear hatch switch ground cable isn't corroded and clean all the ground points in the engine bay to make sure that to high a resistance isn't the cause of the problem.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You said you used this cluster in multiple cars. What years were the cars? I know with a ColorMFA cluster, the door icons don't work if your CCM is the 1J0 version unless you run extra wires. The 1C0 CCM doesn't have this issue. I wonder if it's something similar with your cluster and CCM combo?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts