Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My rear passenger door seal - the rubber bit which goes all the way around the door - started to come off a month or so ago. It appears that it was stuck on with something resembling double sided selotape! The strip starts and ends at the bottom of the door, and it started to remove itself from the door, and hang down, until it was very nearly touching the road. I had to bend down and push the strip into the door and then shut the door every time I opened it! The car went in for a service yesterday, and the dealer phoned to tell me that ALL 4 needed replacing, under warranty and could it come back today, ALL day! I said can't they just do the one for now as I need the car really. He said he'd rather not, because it is a big job, and they 'have to set up the machine and everything' ?! I said WTF, it is stuck on with sticky tape! Oh no Sir, it is MUCH more complicated than that, we have to strip it back to the paint - (in other words remove the old glue!) - and then set up the machine, and it is a very complicated process. Bo***x. Anyway, I agreed to it going back, but when I got back the car back, and opened all of the doors, I realised why they couldn't just do one - because they had pulled off ALL of the others, which were fine, so now, all 4 door seals are hanging off [:mad:]!!

We will see what happens today. This is just one thing from a long list which has REALLY annoyed me about this most recent service!!!!

Has anyone else had this happen to their door seals?

Al

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Has anyone else had this happen to their door seals?
Not in my car but in the loaner car I had 1 seal (rear door too) was hanging off.

My car is Sep 04, the one with the prob was probably Apr 04, how old is your's?

Pity about the poor service. It's probably a good thing they are replacing all the seals, perhaps VW have advised them to do so. But to leave all your justing hanging is poor. At least though they are getting you sorted the very next day.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Noticed the one on my front passenger door was hanging off a few days ago as well! I stuck it back on but wonder how long it will be before if falls off again.. :(

Test Drive magazine's long term test car also had/has this problem as well.... I hope it's not a 'feature' of the car.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yes the front passenger door rubber sealwas hanging off at the bottom,on my 54 plate 2.0 GT TDI Diesel,but I have now sold this car,and brought the GTI in July,so far the seals look ok!!!!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yes this happended to me too a few months ago - was the rear drivers side. Was replaced quickly and efficiently under warranty by my dealer

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have had 1 replaced on the rear passenger side under warranty due to it coming away, that was about 2months ago. The other side is now starting to do the same, have yet to contact my local dealer to let them know. It is an 04 plate Jun GTTDI

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just booked my car in today for various repairs :

Service chap knew all about the door seal problem, very common
apparently. (He said they had been using the wrong sort of horses (or
was it cows) for the glue !!) (apologies to all you horse/cow lovers
out there)[:D]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Happened to mine also, on all door seals, and used sellotape too. Got them all fixed by the VW garage under warranty, but about 3 weeks ago, the drivers side door seal started coming away again. Hasn't been a problem since, but I'm thinking it's all a matter of time.

Got the automatic door locking done at the same time though.

·
Registered
461 Posts
VERY common problem, just take it to VW and theyll use a bit of sprcial glue to stick it back in [:)]

Apparently most vgolfs have them hanging off when they arroive on the transporters lol

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yep, that's happened to me too, although only with the bottom of the passenger door. I just stuck it back on and touch-wood it seems fine now.

Sean

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Petrified noticed my passenger side seal hanging off yesterday.  Thats another thing to add to the list for the dealer to do next time I need the car washing.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Well slap me silly with a wet fish...........all mine are going south on the same day......maybe the heat!?

Service due soon......and 4 new seals by the look of them!

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
How long have you guys had your cars? (That question started out as "how far gone are your cars" [:$])

Wondering how long it'll be before I get this [:|]

Welcome back Foxy!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
You are better of glueing the bottom part back on, the seals are an absolute b*****d to come off & when fitting the new ones its near impossible to get them on perfect again......

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi,

Just noticed this thread again. Mine were all sorted by the dealer when I took it back the second day. All seem fine now, so far. My car was registered 1st September 04 - 54 plate, and is an 05 model year, and it took until about May this year for the first one to start to fall off!

Hope you all get your sorted - as I said, my dealer actually managed to do a decent job and fixed them all (but when closing the back doors, they don't seem to shut so easily - you almost think it is not closed properly even though it is!)

Al

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Cheers AEG - you probably had the same when you first got the car - does seem to take a while to soften the seals, and if you don't use the back doors as much as the front, they'll obv take a little longer? [:)]

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
My rear doors are notoriosly tricky to shut without slamming them.

A chat with my dealer's top tech reveals that they remove the old seals and fit new ones with a revised adhesive.

They remove the old seals and then strip the adhesive with a special tool - theirs is worn out apparently and on back order........strange! - i thought white spirit and a rag would be the trick!......or just looking at them with a stern face might even make them fall cleanly off in fact!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts