Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi peeps, some little toe rag broke into my golf mk4 last night and nicked my stereo:p. Not only that but whilst doing it scratched up all my new anniversary trim i put in (((( but i digress..... What i need to know is that they have damaged the drivers side outside handle and lock barrel. The part where the lock barrel is, where you put the key in ,is completely gone just leaving a hole there but i think some of the barrel is still intact. Would a lock repair kit do the job? i seen them on ebay pretty cheap. How easy would it be to replace the whole handle and if it can be repaired, the lock barrel? I have had a look here and around the net and from what i have seen it seems that the handle and lock can be removed without taking the inside door card off. When you take the handle off does it come out with metal mechanism attached? My golf is a 3 door but i have managed to locate a front drivers door handle the same colour code as mine from a 4 door with mechanism attached, will this be ok? thanks again and sorry for all the questions:p

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
look it was my fault for no taking the face off my stereo....i wont be making the same mistake again. To delock just seems a bit of a pain in the butt at the moment what with getting parts sprayed etc when i can get a new handle from the scrappy for a tenner and possibly repair or replace the lock barrel . Any help to my original question(s) would be appreciated :)

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Chris does have a point though mate. It's not hard to do a delock at all. As long as all your door lock mechanisms and CCM is working fine it makes alot more sense.

It would be far more of a pain in the butt to find that they come back and break in again, no doubt causing more cost/damage - much more cost and work than doing a delock in the first place.

Hope you get it all sorted however you choose to go about it anyway pal.[:)]

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeh think i am gonna go the delock way, doesnt look too hard and all my door mechanisms are working and central locking is fine, just the barrel in the drivers side is in bits. So you are right, a delock it is;))). Thanks again peeps:). BTW what is CCM?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Cental Convenience Module (I think!).

It's the 'brain' that tells all the individual lock mechanisms and various other bits what to do, sits behind the dash.

If you haven't had any issues with the central locking, alarm or stuff like that going funny it's fair to assume all is working as it should. For complete peace of mind you could get it hooked up to vagcom to see if there have been any fault codes stored.

Then do the delock!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not wishing to hijack this thread...but both the door handles on the o/s of my 5 door are not flush as they should be. They both stick out about 1/4in I think someone has tried to get in. Do I need new handles or just need to bend something straight?

·
Registered
100 Posts
i had mine done over at the weekend aswell but didnt take nothing apart from smashin my driver lock barrell and glove bow

if u wanna go down the route with delockin the car theres a small grommet pull it off its got a torx bit cant remember what size it is now undo it then the whole lock comes out ive just done mine

·
Registered
32 Posts
Golf door handles are very easy to take out (without removing trim) but like you say if someone gives them a tug it can dislodge them. Like GTilad said torx bit behind a rubber grommit just above the door strike area.

The handle will gently pull away (rearmost end first) If my memory is correct there is a cable connecting the catch to the handle this will need prizing out (remember where its from as its adjustable) If not the handle should pull away.

The front end of the handle is simply hooked around the door skin.

Check for damage, make sure the rubber gaskets are ok and replace handle.

You should feel a positive click as the handle seats itself correctly. (dont forget the cable if it has one)

Torx in, grommit in job job. Test function before shutting door by using a screwdriver to activate the latch on the door (two clicks) and try handle.

Bunj.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Locked out of my 2003 UK Golf MK4 1.6 5 door.

<o:eek::p> </o:eek::p>

The n/s front door lock is faulty. Initially playing up and
now not unlocking when using the key remote.

The pull-up pin inside appears to be very stiff - I am concerned
that I might break it if forced.

Is there a way of getting the door unlocked from the inside
without doing any damage?

Are the fault(s) and the repair methods with the earlier
MK4s are still applicable to later MK4s?

I have been told that it could be dry solder joints at the
door locks although I was also told that the later MK4 door locks had been
modified.

I intend to read all I can BEFORE attempting to open the
door and then stripping down the door's insides.

Thanks for any help
you can give.

overthetop

·
Registered
17 Posts
Got a similar issue as original post. Broken into recently and the barrel has been busted but it still locks and unlocks. Dont want to delock as the CCM is faulty (remote doesnt work) so how could I sort this and still use my old keys, or is it a new set of locks from VW?

·
Super Moderator
50,230 Posts
Got a similar issue as original post. Broken into recently and the barrel has been busted but it still locks and unlocks. Dont want to delock as the CCM is faulty (remote doesnt work) so how could I sort this and still use my old keys, or is it a new set of locks from VW?
The safest and probably cheapest way to fix this is get a new CCM,get it programmed and de-lock the car.

Chris.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks again. Will get it sorted. Cant believe some toerag did it to be honest. And I found out as I went to take her to the garage this morning for new O2 sensor and to check to remote module.

Suddenly all become very expensive!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts