Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, ive got one of these baby's
Posted Image

i know the longer wirer is the postive, but on the orginal led wire in the door, how do i know what wire is postive, i dont have one of those volt tester thingys, wondering before i start taking things apart does the orginal wire have any marks on them to show what side is positive??

cheers

·
Registered
274 Posts
Mine are ?10 each (or ?13 on ebay) and very easy to fit. Full instructions supplied. Does not require the entire door panel to be removed.

Have not fitted a passenger side unit yet and not sure if there is a connector in the door (probably not).

PM me if interested.

·
Old School UkMkivs Member
2,166 Posts
Have not fitted a passenger side unit yet and not sure if there is a connector in the door (probably not).
Fitted mine at the weekend (made my own from Blue LEDs and resistors) to both doors, I could not see a plug in the passenger door so I ran a wire from the drivers door to it.

Sorted

·
Registered
78 Posts
Fitted mine at the weekend (made my own from Blue LEDs and resistors) to both doors, I could not see a plug in the passenger door so I ran a wire from the drivers door to it.

Sorted
I want to fit on the passenger side to. How hard was it to run the wires and how did u get them into the passenger door?

Cheers

·
2,166 Posts
I bought a pack of 20 5mm Blue LED's from eBay a while ago and got some resistors from Maplin.

Looking on eBay now you can buy the LED's and resistors together as a pack. Have a look at http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-50X-3mm-Super-Bright-Blue-LED-Lamp-11-000mcd-F-R_W0QQitemZ7558720771QQcategoryZ66954QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem to get the idea of what I mean, there's plenty for sale on eBay. 3mm is the standard size for the door alarm LED's but 5mm will fit if you enlarge the holes.

These are ok if you are handy with soldering and wiring but if you are just wanting to do the door LED mod with limited knowledge you are better of buying one that has already been made up and just swap it over and plug it in.

·
2,166 Posts
I had the doors to bits and a lot of the trim out to fit new speakers so that helped things but if you are a practical person its not too hard.

I used a length of thin speaker wire, splice it into the 2 wires on the drivers door LED then run the wire along the existing door wiring loom to the front edge of the door, into the rubbery ducting that holds the wiring loom from the door into the car, this unclips at both ends to make it easier to poke the wire through, use an old wire coat hanger with the wire taped to it if you are struggling but dont damage the wiring loom!. If you take the plastic trims in the footwell out you will now be able to grab the end of the wire and pull it through into the drivers footwell.

Nearly half way there!

Now run it across to the passenger side by threading it through up behind the dash, try and ensure that it cant get tangled round the pedals or steering column, and then down into the passenger footwell. Using the same method as you did for the drivers door(but in reverse) you should now be able to get the wire through the rubber ducting and up onto the inside the passenger door, run it to the back edge of the door along the existing wiring loom and terminate the wire with a couple of spade connectors or similar. Now modify the plastic cap from around the door lock pin to hold your new LED, if you are carefull you can drill a hole to take your new LED and resistor , or buy one ready made from someone on her or on eBay. Add the resistor and a short loom with connectors on the end, plug it into your wire from the drivers side, check your connections then set the alarm, If all is ok you should have LED's flashing on both sides now, just tidy up, reassemble the doors and hey presto job done.

Easy if you have the tools, patience and practical hands!

·
2,166 Posts
At least the clips that hold the door cards on on a VW are good, after I'd taken the door cards off my Calibra this many times I'd halved the number of good clips! Good old VW build quality [:)]

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hi there

Thinking about doing the passenger door thing, but just interested if the lights flash independantly, or in time? Anh has anyone thought about doing all four doors? Looks like a lot of work, but as the dude said further up the page, might be upgrading the speakers at the same time.

·
2,166 Posts
They both flash in time with each other, at the same rate as the one in the drivers door.

The LED's are standard non flashing LED's, the alarm system sends a 12V pulse to them making them flash, if they are wired together then they will both flash together.

As for putting them in the rear doors too this won't be so easy, the plastic piece around the rear door lock pins is different and doesnt have space for a LED so there is no suitable place to mount them really.

With both front doors fitted with blue LED's it is very obvious the car is alarmed, especially at night as the flash glows up the window too. I used 5mm LED's instead of 3mm which makes them even more visable.

Hope this helps

·
2,166 Posts
Please read this:

http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forums/271917/ShowPost.aspx

There must be an easier way than splicing into the drivers side loom - how do the Audis get theirs in both doors at the factory??

Let's get to the bottom of this!
Yeah I checked that before but it seemed inconclusive so while I had the doors in bits I bit the bullet and ran the wire through. You only gotta do it once and its not that hard a job!

Perhaps if its sunny tomorrow??

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.