Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I know we've discussed this one elsewhere, but to keep things easy to find, here are my pics from the install I did over the weekend:

Door panel card removed (if you want a guide, click my sig and go to the door led mod on my site - some of the steps are the same)

vsmlIM000296a.jpg

This is the back of the door handle unit - I have drilled a 3.5mm hole (centre on the pic) at an angle. I had to drill through the plastic 'web' behind too, to get the hole located.

The LED will shine forwards and upwards from this location.

vsmlIM000294.jpg

Here is my HP red 'Piranha' LED, ready made with wire and a 5.6k resistor in series.

As you can see, it's low-profile and the 'lens' doesn't protrude more than 1.5mm from the casing.

vsmlIM000297.jpg

A view of the hole from the front.

I have carefully taken a chamfer off the edge of the hole, with a c/sink bit.

vsmlIM000295.jpg

I carefully located the led, held it in place with a screwdriver and then used hot-melt glue to fix.

A view here from the front.

vsmlIM000293a.jpg

Another view of the front - this time you can see the led doesn't even protrude the plastic.

The led is illuminated here.

vsmlIM000296.jpg

finished20_pair.jpg

My dig-cam is poor under low light, so i have artificially 'enhanced' (!) this shot to give an idea of the result.

vsmlIM000293.jpg

I wired my LEDs from the door switch illumination circuit, so they dim with the rest of the illumination lighting.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Tony

The sig is actually my alarm going off, without the sound effects !! LOL!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dear Foxy

I have had the door led mod done- looks great. This seems like the next logical step!

Are you gonna start doing this mod? if so how much and when can u supply (i know i sound eager! hahaha)

Cheers

T

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
quote:

Originally posted by CruiseVW

Where could one find these LEDs? I would prefer blue if possible. and can I just hook them up to my dimmer?
Hi there and welcome to the forum, cruise.

Have a look at my signature - the blue 3mm LEDs are on offer for a limited time, as are some of the other LEDs.

Drop me a line with what you need - I send regularly to the US.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Thanks for the guide, mate.

Just wondering, can the mode be done without taking the door off? I want to do the mod just unsure off taking the door card off. Can the handle be removed without removing the door?

·
Registered
229 Posts
You have to take the door card off to do this mod. If your gonna do it, make sure you find out how all the handle with the elctric window switch etc comes off the drivers door of you'll probably end up breaking something.

·
Registered
362 Posts
i really want to do this mod with blue led's wiring it up will be no problem but what led will i be needing to buy as the picture above shows it with a resistor attached?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Awesome site mate, ill be using alot of the information in the near future to sort a few things out on my Bug!

Cheers for the time youve spent matey, much appreciated! (Genuinely, this isnt just a post upper!)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts