Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys, right this is a right pain and im in trouble if i dont get it sorted asap so any sugestions will be greatly appriciated, the lock barrel on my drivers side door ( its a 3 door) spins freely, its been bodged by the previous owner so i started to fix it today, went straight in to undo the torx 20 that releases the mechanism and it was rounded off and rusted away, so after a few tries i had to take the whole door card and panel off, which i did, got the handle off and the handle lever from inside the door off aswell to find it was damaged, so bought a new 1, this is where the problem comes, when i fit the new handle lever on the inside and attach the door handle to it a large gap is left between the door and handle, also when i put the barrel mechanism back in and start tightening the torx after about 3 turns the locking ring pops out of place and drops into the door.

ive tried about 15times know and the ring keeps popping off and i cant get the door handle to sit flush with with door skin,

any suggestions?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry here goes again

know that i have replaced the internal lever and fitted the handle on the outside it looks like this

so thats the big gap that i cant get to go away... then theres the issue of the barrel, im only trying to put part of it back in as i havent got the repair kit yet so this is it

and when that is in it looks like this

then if i try and tighten the torx 20 to secure the previous piece in place, this part pops off the rear and falls into the door

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Put the ring on a flat surface with flanges against it....does it sit flush?

If not, the ring is warped and a new one will solve this issue! Mine did the same, and couldnt re-shape it for the life of me.

However if that is as far as the barrel pushes in, the ring pops out as the barrel has to be in the right position to grip it.

Try pulling the door handle slightly and seeing if it goes in ok then? And is the cable correctly installed into the side of the handle to ensure the plastic end of it is flush?

·
Super Moderator
50,213 Posts
You'll have to strip the door down completely to fix it no matter what else happens,the assembly that ring is part of is called the "lock carrier" and is only about £13 new from VW or TPS,and in my experience once the ringhas come out in will never stay properly again.

Chris.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
its been stripped down totally anyway so that no worry, the carrier is what i changed because it was damaged, so i guess i bought another damaged 1, dealer didnt have them in stock so i got if from scrappy, ring was attached but on the first fitment it popped out, ill try a new ring if the dealer will sell them seperate from everything else and if that doesnt work ill have to get a new carrier from the stealers!

thanks for your advice guys ill let you know how it goes

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
right ive put it all back together sort of and despite this coldness and my fingers nearly falling off ive had a better look and what is happening is this: when i put the barrel back in it wont go al the way in, then when i try the tighten the torx 20 the flanges on the lock ring catch a small lump on the barrel and pop off

ive had the carrier and the barrel off and it fits together perfectly when away from the car, just when it is on the car it seems like something is stopping the barrel goin all the way in and that is the main problem so has any1 got any idea what could be stopping it goin in?

the carrier has two a leverage system that connects to the door handle to pull it back in it should look like this

but as my arrows poorly show (sorry) that black piece that the door handle connects to does not sit like that, on mine it folds over as the arrow show, so when fitting it this has to be forced over to sit like shown in the pic, and the only reason it stays there then is handle holding it.

know on the odd trial this wasnt folded over to the correct position and the barrel seemed to fit into place until it was forced to the correct position with the handle attached

really sorry about my description of whats going on its hard to put it into words but hopefully somebody may see something in amongst is all :) thanks

·
Super Moderator
50,213 Posts
No photos to illustrate this with as I'm at work,but I'll do my best.When you put the outer handle back the lugs on the end of it need to slot into the small recesses in the end of the cast hinge/lever thing attached to the black plastic bit,but to get them in properly they need to be pulled towards the outside of the door.If you get the brass coloured ring in JUST the right place it'll hold in in place while you slide the handle in,when it's in undo the screw a touch and it should pop out and the barrel should slide all the way in.Also make sure the two small hooks on the carrier slot properly into place at thw front of the cutout in the outer skin and also that the plastic gasket is in place and also under the hooks.

Chris.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts