Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning, i heard a click, then the drivers window decided to not go up anymore, so its obvioulsy the clips everyone has break.

I need the part numbers for both sides '3 door' 2000 MK4 GTI.

Out of curiosity, does anyone like OEM parts sell these, to save me dealing with a dumb ar5e dealer ?

Also, how do you have to drill out the rivets on the dor panels to get them off, or is there a nicer way ?

·
Registered
316 Posts
give yourself around an hour for each side..

no way round the rivits other than drilling them out and putting new ones in once finished..

if you do the first door then the second should be done in half the time.. but theres always something that either doesn't come off or you forget to do somethign when you put it all back together.. lol

·
Registered
432 Posts
I've got a spare passenger side repair kit. P/no is 1JE 898 099 for a 3dr. Can't remember drivers side....but its not much different

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've got a spare passenger side repair kit. P/no is 1JE 898 099 for a 3dr. Can't remember drivers side....but its not much different
Will you sell me it, so i only have to buy the drivers ?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dont forget to read this thread about VW replacing them for free, if the car is under 6 years old:

http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forums/thread/609814.aspx
Can anyone prove that you get it for free ? Ive just spoke to two dealerships and they said thats clearly not the case !!

They did try and tempt me into paying ?170 a side to replace them, and then when i laughed and said thanks, but no i`ll do it myself. They then said i need the whole lifter at ?57.07+vat each, i laughed again and said could they just gimme the price for the clips....begrudgingly they said ?30+vat and gave me the part numbers....

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Dont forget to read this thread about VW replacing them for free, if the car is under 6 years old:

http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forums/thread/609814.aspx
Can anyone prove that you get it for free ? Ive just spoke to two dealerships and they said thats clearly not the case !!

They did try and tempt me into paying ?170 a side to replace them, and then when i laughed and said thanks, but no i`ll do it myself. They then said i need the whole lifter at ?57.07+vat each, i laughed again and said could they just gimme the price for the clips....begrudgingly they said ?30+vat and gave me the part numbers....
Unfortunatley only what I've read in that thread. Mine's five years old, and the passenger one went on the test drive and was replaced free of charge. Sort of hoping if they are replacing for free that the driver one goes soon!!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
If your car is within 6 years and 90,000 miles the dealer will do all you doors for free !!!!! Mine is booked in for this friday. My window has not dropped yet but i know the rear clip has gone....

Get to your dealers ( they claim the repair costs from VAG europe ) If you dont ask you dont get..

Jay

EDIT

The tech i was speaking to booked it in with no worries and said if they did find them intact when the door card was removed they could " lean" on them so as they got there money from H.Q as they have to send the clips away .
Mine was done at " smith knight fay in Gee-cross "

·
Registered
109 Posts

Phone JCB VW in Ashford, Kent....01233 504300.....they did mine last week free of charge!![:p]

·
Registered
1,586 Posts

Smith
Knight Fay Gee Cross

Volkswagen

Stockport
Road, Gee Cross, Hyde, Cheshire

SK14
5ET

Tel:
0161 368 0413

Fax:
0161 368 0131

Thay are doing all 4 doors on friday for free ..... as long as you are within 6 years and 90,000 miles.

Jay

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Phone JCB VW in Ashford, Kent....01233 504300.....they did mine last week free of charge!![:p]
Thats a result, i might ring them as Ashford is only 1 hour from me. Typical, i ring Eastbourne and Tunbridge Wells and get told NO, but Ashford do it !! Just my luck..

Anyways, i couldnt believe my luck, i left work tonight and needed to tell a colleague something, so went to wind down the passenger window, and there was a crunching noise and the window went all the way down and wouldnt come up, so i had to drive home with it open, so i had no choice this evening but to take it all apart to try and get the window up. I removed the door card and undid the bolts for the carrioer panel, but could see a loose cable in the top edge of the door, now i guessed this was part of the carrier, but i am not sure..But on removal of the window motor, there was fraid cable caught in the motor spindle....So now i dont know whats caused it, but i have lashed it all up with duck tape and disconnected the door panel and i`ll have a closer look at the weekend when i get chance...

So doesnt seem alot of point in booking it in now, i might as well do it myself.. Sodding bloody typical...both go the same day !! how annoying ?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
That's the same as my passenger door was. The clips hadn't failed but the cable had frayed and wound itself around the motor. They took the whole panel out and replaced.

Think I might be making a call to VW though to see about my other windows

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's the same as my passenger door was. The clips hadn't failed but the cable had frayed and wound itself around the motor. They took the whole panel out and replaced.

Think I might be making a call to VW though to see about my other windows
oh ok, i wonder what causes that....i spose as i have it out, i might aswell do the clips and replace that cable whilst i can...

Anyone know if you can buy that bit separate .?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Clips and cable come with the repair kit. I only needed to replace the clips on drivers side, and then found out the passenger side had already been done so i've got 2 cables and a set of clips going spare!!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Clips and cable come with the repair kit. I only needed to replace the clips on drivers side, and then found out the passenger side had already been done so i've got 2 cables and a set of clips going spare!!
Thats brilliant, cheers...ive already emailed ya....(just incase anyone else jumps in)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts