Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I done the mr muscle turbo clean yesterday by removing the downpipe and spraying it in to the hot side of the turbo, i did it about 5 to 6 times in total and worked the vnt lever every 15 to 20 minutes. At first it was really stiff and eventually it started loosening up where i could move it with finger pressure. I got the spray nozzle in as far in as I possibly could. Once everything was back together i took the car for a blast on the motorway and got it to about 80 to 100mph which i felt would get the turbo hot enough to blow the crap out the exhast, it was about a 70 mile trip in total. To be fair the car feels a lot more responsive in the lower gears but i still feel that it's lacking some power. There was a guide that was shared not long ago about using VCDS to measure certain blocks but i can't find it anymore? Am thinking of giving wynns turbo cleaner a try and see if that frees it up anymore. Maybe i didn't spray the mr muscle in enough times but i still feel like the car is lacking some power!

Thanks

·
Registered
10,482 Posts
You went passed 3rd gear? Well you can do it again..
And this time keep the car in 3rd gear the whole long motorway run... going in to higher gears actually means the turbo is making less boost and therefore not getting hot enough to burn the product off.

·
Registered
252 Posts
are there any reputable Turbo strip n cleaners? Or is the old Mr Muscle trick the best. I'm terrified to try it incase I kill something. I'd pay for something inbetween. An experienced Mr Muscle Turbo using bloke from this forum? :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
10,482 Posts
yes there are several, turbo-rive is one of the easiest ones as you don't have to remove the turbo just have the car running and spray it into the intake... but it costs around 40 pounds like all automotive turbo cleaners...

another thing that does the trick is a terraclean but you'll have to pay extra for the turbo cleaning...

so from all the options the cheapest solution is mr. muscle ovencleaner as all the turbo cleaners main cleaning ingredient is lye... and the cheapest product is a foaming ovencleaner...

I have done several cars with it including my now daily vectra (although that car has a waste gate turbo) i use it to clean the intake and egr as it is still enabled.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Sounds like the Turbo Revive might be a worth a shot for a potentially sticky turbo?. I think Ive heard the terra clean is hit and miss. I would give the mr muscle a go but just seems a bit scary to me

·
Registered
10,482 Posts
Mate I used it as regular maintenance and I owned my car for 8 years with 70k miles and driven it up to the scrappy with 470k + miles on it... never had ato change the turbo cheap in that time either.

So it is save to use. If you still doubt it... go for the turbo revive kit follow instructions and one bottle should do the trick.... but with MR muscle the same bottle can be used 4 times on a seriously sticky vnt mechanism...

You do the math.

·
Registered
10,482 Posts
This is why I never did it...

Got a bottle of Turbo Revive I never used too...
And that is a complete and utter waste of money... sorry I hate spending money just for piece of mind...

The turbo revive if applied wrongly can turn your engine into a big paper weight (,it's called Hydrolock)

The only problem with the Mr muscle application is that you can get it in your eyes or on your skin... and if you are stupid you actually put it in the wrong side...( lye eats aluminium so not the best thing to do) other than removing the downpipe and using a straw to get the stuff all the way in the back, and closing the lot up (cardboard comes in handy here) you can't beat it with any of the stuff available.

Again the ovencleaner is tried and tested and it works if you do it the right way. Another option would be to get some straight up lye in a pressurized spray bottle and spray that straight in... but you can't buy it over the counter... believe me on that as I looked for it...

But you can use an egr or carbcleaner that does the same it just takes longer (and it needs to be sprayed all the way to the back of the hot side so it actually gets into the vnt mechanism)

Or take the turbo off and split it, than you can clean it with diesel/petrol/brake cleaner/ carbon cleaner/ egr cleaner and a load of cleaning cloths...

But all these other ways are way more expensive than the ovencleaner... but hey that is up to you lot.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Since doing the mr muscle clean my car does feel a lot more responsive that's for sure but i still feel like it's lacking some power but then again it's only a pd100 lol. To be honest it's not that scary to do it's just a bit tight for room underneath. When I was removing the nuts the exhaust studs come off with them but I was able to get them all back on again. I've ordered some new exhaust studs and nuts just to be safe. I was actually thinking of giving Wynns turbo cleaner a try to see if that makes any more difference.

·
Registered
10,482 Posts
Last thing i will say why pay more for something that can be done in one go if you do it the right way...

Spray it in, work leaver until it is smooth and easy to move with your finger... than close the lot up, go for a motorway run for at least 80 miles using 3rd gear to push the car to hit 70+ mph... DO NOT USE HIGHER GEARS! Yes keep it running in 3rd gear!!! The turbo needs to work that hard it starts to glow red.... this is when the product starts burning off and in doing so burning the remainder of the sticky stuff to small particals that will fly out because of the draft created by the exhaust gasses....

If you do the above the vnt mechanism will be completely clean and back to normal. Like when it was new...

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
And that is a comete and utter waste of money... sorry I hate spending money just for piece of mind...

The turbo revive if applied wrongly can turn your engine into a big paper weight (,it's called Hydrolock) .
Of course it was a complete waste, it's still knocking about round here somewhere.

But I did only buy it on your recommendation.
You probably thought I'd have actually used it, though, but I find turbos very confusing. So never did (I think it may have been binned, actually. Kirsty had a tidy up - it was brutal).

·
Registered
252 Posts
Ah interesting! looks like I'll be going for the old mr muscle clean then. Doesn't look too bad. I wonder if it's worth cleaning the inlet manifold at same time as I'll be cleaning the egr? if so should I pop any gasket sealant on with the new manifold gasket?

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Ah interesting! looks like I'll be going for the old mr muscle clean then. Doesn't look too bad. I wonder if it's worth cleaning the inlet manifold at same time as I'll be cleaning the egr? if so should I pop any gasket sealant on with the new manifold gasket?
Yes, do the inlet manifold too.

I did the golf one with Mr Muscle and the passat one with fire - which, I have to say, was a whole lot more fun.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Turn up the radio really loud... just don't go into the higher gears... only to overtake than go back to the slow lane and back into 3rd gear.
lol, I will. I guess the entire point is to push the turbo and get it nice and hot, burn off any let over sediment inside. I'm convinced this mk4 has never pulled correctly so we'll see what occurs post work.

·
Registered
10,482 Posts
it should be more responsive, mine was after I finally decided to keep driving in 3rd gear until the car showed no more signs of limp-mode, nor any hesitation on me flooring the pedal... and that was when i decided that i should do the cleaning on the regular... as although i blocked the egr, i still hadn't put on an oil catch can... so potential for dirty sticky oil lumps was still a possibility... it never had limp-mode again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts