Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had lunch at a nice restaurant then when I came to pay the bill... Oops, for some reason I had taken my wallet out earlier and put it in the boot of the car half a mile away.

[:D]

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Lets just hope the restaurant wasnt owned by red-necks....I can hear the faint sound of duelling banjo's.[;)]

·
Registered
906 Posts
Shiuming managed to put a post up but now he must be busy washing all the plates from tonights meals casue he hasn't been back!

What happened after you found no wallet Shiuming?

Tam

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Make that double D'OH! Got home to find a shiny package from Crucial, containing a blingin' 512 MB SO-DIMM to upgrade my lappy to a sweet 1 GB, and of course I open the back to find the two slots are already populated with 2x 256 MB... dual channel memory, oops, and how many times have I hammered this into other people's brains when advising them on upgrades. I swear I must have lead poisoning or summat, people keep telling me the older I get the more stupid appear to be [:$]

As for the restaurant... Well I explained to the nice lady who tops up the tea that I'd left my wallet in the car, but that didn't seem to compute, the owners are Korean (hey this town has the UK's highest Korean population, they have shops where 99% of the goods contain hardly a trace of English on the labels [:|]), and as the Chinese proverb goes, that's like "chicken talking to duck" - um, "Money in car... back in 5 minutes?" I guess they were OK 'cos I go there at least once or twice a week [:D]

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Make that double D'OH! Got home to find a shiny package from Crucial, containing a blingin' 512 MB SO-DIMM to upgrade my lappy to a sweet 1 GB, and of course I open the back to find the two slots are already populated with 2x 256 MB... dual channel memory, oops, and how many times have I hammered this into other people's brains when advising them on upgrades. I swear I must have lead poisoning or summat, people keep telling me the older I get the more stupid appear to be [:$]

As for the restaurant... Well I explained to the nice lady who tops up the tea that I'd left my wallet in the car, but that didn't seem to compute, the owners are Korean (hey this town has the UK's highest Korean population, they have shops where 99% of the goods contain hardly a trace of English on the labels [:|]), and as the Chinese proverb goes, that's like "chicken talking to duck" - um, "Money in car... back in 5 minutes?" I guess they were OK 'cos I go there at least once or twice a week [:D]
Personally I think you should be more embarrassed about this oops, than leaving your wallet behind - we've all done it before. I tend to do it most in Waitrose for some odd reason [:S]

C

·
Registered
674 Posts
What town is that mate? I work for a very large Korean firm and wondered where all the UK based Koreans where - I had my first Korean (ooh aah Misses) last week and really enjoyed it!

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Whats Korean food? I love Chinese, love Indian. Had Persian in Dubai and that was enough to make me heave (mine was very very sweet!!). So whats Korean!?

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
New Malden, Surrey [Y]

They have a lot of nice little restaurants and noodle bars here, good thing otherwise it would be mainly junk and stupidly expensive coffee bars for lunch.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dude, remember the pics I took of a huge lunch with loadsa dishes last time you posted a "what's for lunch" thread? That was Korean!

Well, strictly speaking it's Korean/Japanese fusion ([:S]), so ya got ya Korean spicy veg side salad (kimchi is a national favourite, fermented spicy cabbage, it's quite nice and apparently according to a new American study explains the low cancer rate in Korea) and ya Japanese style miso soup and teriyaki.

I think you'd like it.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Hmmm, so it's a bit like, maybe Aloo Sagg from Indians!

Can you buy this stuff in supermarkets, as I got English, Chinese, Indian and turkish kebabs around me, but no korean as far as I'm aware and it did look nice in your pics.

As long as it's not persian, will give it a try!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Well to be fair, I didnt know what to expect when the Big boss told us he was taking us out for a Korean after I had spent all day on a very big stand at a show in Berlin. When we sat down there were lots of little dishes of veg's, fish etc which reminded me on how Tapas is served. You pick away.

On the table where these big "cookers" and the waitress then started cooking up this Pork dish, which was marinated in a chili source. I asked the Koreans how you eat it and basically, you took a big lettace leave, placed the cooked pork onto that, added a little of this sauce, some veg, then wrapped it up and ate it like that. Think of having Crispy Duck at your chinese and its very simular in the way you eat it but DAMM it tasted good! I think I polished off most of that! Then they brought out this dish which looked like a cross between a stew and soup - mixed that with some rice and I was away again. Very very nice food, and I was told that this was more of a party meal as there were 20 of us (mostly Korean and German) but this is better as you get more choice!

New Malden, next time they are over I'll have to take them there! Basingstoke has only just got two Thai resturants recently so they are miles behind - its the one thing I miss about living in London - the choice of food!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts