Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
4,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
?

my mate has a tdi 90 and it has been drinking a bit too much fuel lately and is a bit underpowered

cant hear his turbo whistle unless you rev it very hard

is this normal?

·
Registered
990 Posts
I have driven 90/100/110/115/130/150 TDI engines and I haven't ever heard it over the diesel clatter except on my 150. We have 2 passat 130's and neither of their turbo's whistle, neither did the 110 I owned for 3 years. There is a slight whistle on start up, but that's it.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I have the 90 and I hear the whistle but cant say i have noticed it recently, not sure if i got use to it or if its not whistling anymore. Will let you know next time I drive it.

·
Registered
318 Posts
my tdi 90 turbo seems to whistle much more with the tuning box fitted I could hear it before if I pulled away with the window down but it does seem more noticeable now.If it`s not a VNT type turbo (90 TDi engine shouldn`t be) try lightly spraying the actuator arm on the turbo with some light oil and work it back and forth with a vac pump.Mine was stood for a few months before I brought it and this had partly seized causing intermittant power loss and this did cure it.If you know what you are doing you can do some data logging with the vag-com diagnostic tool whilst driving (have someone drive for you while you do the tests) to confirm correct turbo boost behavier under load.

[8-|]

·
Registered
60 Posts
the gt15 on my tdi 90 seems to whistle a fair bit more with the tuning box fitted, must be the extra fuel.

If you want to measure the boost using vag com open measuring block, group 011 and log the data.

·
Registered
379 Posts
After reading numerous posts on a US website about removing the only box in the exhaust system on my PD115 I performed a mufferlectomy on my car last weekend! Pipe wasn't quite long enough because I didn't think the rear box was so large but it makes quite a nice note when driven and I made a tip so that the gases point down etc and especially when starting the car you can hear the turbo whistle ever so clearly!! It's possible to hear the wastegate operating also when chaging gear, it is only really loud in 1st gear though.

Since dump valves are pointless on TDI's it would be quality if the wastegate operation could be heard a load clearer, any pointers?!?

·
Registered
198 Posts
so i think the answer to your question is yes you should be able to hear the turbo. but as to why its down on power and using more fuel, well if its more of a hiss they are hearing then it could be becuase of a split intercooler or vacuum hose pipe leading to loss of boost.

·
TEAM 88 MOTORSPORT
8,901 Posts
my PD130 used to whistle. I changed all the boost pipes now there is no whistle. You can hear the turbo through the decat more though

Edit:-

holy thread revival batman!!!!!!!!!!!!

just realised how old this topic is...someone having a laugh?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts