Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically is your car a workhorse that has to earn its keep or is it just your hobby that is only for your pleasure, obviously most of us have to use our cars for commuting, what I want to know does you car really have to earn its keep - like mine does it has to ferry staff and boxes round shops and lug various parts of computer equipment and my tools round and at weekends it is hammered taking the kids and wife out, whereas I know some of you literally use your car to get to and from work and polish it in between and wouldnt dream of lugging tools etc around let alone get them dirty giving kids and coleuges/staff around.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
well i do 26mile round trip to work mon-fri but somehow over the 2 years ownership ive done 44k[!]

done a few round trips to europe aswell mind.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Between 500 & 600 miles a week for me travelling between building sites and head office. Site roads / parking makes for a very dirty car indeed.

I refuse outright to carry anything in it though except for my laptop and a few files.

Can spend ages cleaning it but the kids have a knack of getting it dirty again very quickly, My 4 year old currently has a habit of swirling the dirt round on the hatch and we all know how dirty and abrasive that is. Thing is I never catch him doing it, or about to !

·
Registered
646 Posts
although its a Bora it works for its living, being a company car. Have covered 50K in it over 18 months, including lots of pleasure trips such as the Wolfsburg trip last year and the WRC in Wales.

Tend to keep it cleaner inside than out, but being black and high miles doesnt help my laziness.

Due to be replaced soon.

Got my other car for enjoying weekend drives up here in God's country [8D]

·
Registered
850 Posts
i wash mine every couple of months!!

my car looks better when its dirty [:)]

EDIT: only use it to go work and college and often get thrashed[}:)]

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
500 miles a week just going to work.

Rallying each year

1300 miles - Tour of Mull

500 miles - Trackrod Rally Yorkshire

700 miles - Scottish Rally etc etc...

...and that's before any sort of shopping/weekend travel

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Try not to use mine for going to work as its a 60 mile round trip and that gets pretty expensive saying that though I took it to work today [:D].

I have a Peugeot 205d workhorse that cost me ?600 and I've had for 2 years and done about 30k miles in it and it hasn't needed any work done to it. Pure bargain plus it keeps the R32 for my pleasure only.

·
Registered
493 Posts
We bought a Jeep just for the dogs!!!

Wifes Beetle has been fully restored so that's a no go for them and my leather and their claws don't mix either. I know it's a 4x4 (sorry[8)]) but it takes some abuse[:D].

Cheers, Jim

·
Registered
666 Posts
Mine's been used to cart the odd sack of spuds around (I trade/import veg!) and used for a work trip to France but otherwise it's more for Cornwall surf trips.

Some seeeeeerious mile munchers on here - 600 miles a week?!!

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I walk to work so the car gets it easy during the week. However at weekends it lugs a huge bag of Goaly Kit and 2 or 3 mates around the country playing hockey. It gets filled with sand and food wrappers very quickly.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
I use mine for work & pleasuring[;)]

Use her to visit customers & shows around the UK, plus ferry my bikes around the country too, & a couple of mates too.

Weekly milage is 500+ most weeks, hence 51k in 18months.

I HATE WINTER with a vengence [B)]

·
Registered
131 Posts
pure workhorse all 2 of them ..sometimes a 500mile 330d week and sometimes a 500 mile pd150 week ..then i spread the mileage out over a year or so...so not hammering either through servicing and depreciation costs..

·
Registered
82 Posts
Well, its not a Golf but my 320d Sport Touring is definitely a workhorse - in excess of 1000 miles a week commuting/travelling to sites, plus weekend use (anything from 4 up trips to football, to shopping in Meadowhell, to clearing rubbish, to transporting dogs....)

At least I get a new one pretty often - in fact about every 20 months! Only 10 to go - when does the new Passat estate come out?????

1 - 20 of 49 Posts