Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mkv is totally filthy with all the salt etc!! But the tailgate is terrible, i have never seen a car so dirty lol!!

Anyway does the shape of the MKV cause it to attract more dirt on the back... It certainly seems it compared to my focus !!

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
I'll probably get kicked for being wrong, but I'm sure someone once
said it's to do with how upright and flat the back of the car is.
The rounder it is, the more stuff that gets sucked around te back of
the car sticks to it.

As the mk5 is "cutely rounded" (dont ask, quote from a girl I know [:cool:]) - more sticks to it.

What took a week in my mk4 has taken 2 days on the mk5... I'm not the
hugest fan of car washing so naturally I'm not happy lol [;)]

C

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Ive given up trying to clean mine. I do 60 miles a day on the motorway so its pointless. I clean it one day and its filthy again a day later. All I do now is clean the lights and plates.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Ive given up trying to clean mine. I do 60 miles a day on the motorway so its pointless. I clean it one day and its filthy again a day later. All I do now is clean the lights and plates.
Same type of journey , also clean the lights , can't say I clean the plates in the week, maybe the alloys more often than normal because of the salt......

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A mate of mine has just got a MK2 Driver... see what thats like next week when hes back home [:$]

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
*sigh* I'm well narked now. The car is still cleanish to be honest from the beginning of the week. Other than the back, which you could write an essay in, it's absolutely disgusting. Worse than the mk4 IMO.

C

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have to say it seems to attract more dirt than any other car I've seen. I fitted mudflaps in the hope it would help some but it made no difference. I was thinking it was just mine but other Golf mk5's I've seen are just the same. Oh well, we drive dirty cars. [:)]

·
Registered
233 Posts
Is it to do with the exhaust position? The GTI has an exposed exhaust pipe(s) and I notice the dirt is usually on the nearside on the rear...

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Yes my Golf's back end gets very dirty, very quickly but not any quicker than vehicles of similar shape, I would imagine.

My last car, a Rover 414i hatchback at least had the profile of that of a booted car and the back of this remained very clean as a result.

What makes the Golf annoying, in this respect, is that considering it gets very dirty particularly the rear window why isn't a more sturdy rear windscreen wiper fitted. Mine is a relatively flimsy plastic affair and I'm always terrified of knocking it off or breaking it when I'm cleaning the car and have it pulled away from the rear window.

Also why, if the wipers have to be used so often, is the reservoir so pathetically small. My Rover's reservoir was over 6 liters in capacity (think it was 8 litres, actually). Poor design I think?

[:mad:]

·
Registered
323 Posts
Another one with a massively dirty car spend ages washing it this weekend inside and out decided not to use it on Monday took it out today got diverted of the motorway to work and could not believe the results by the time I got to work. I have had to wash the back end, all windows and lights.

Anyway at least there is a good chance of us getting a good picture in the dirty bum competition the forum runs. Get your pics up.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Also why, if the wipers have to be used so often, is the reservoir so pathetically small. My Rover's reservoir was over 6 liters in capacity (think it was 8 litres, actually). Poor design I think?
Here's me thinking the reservoir on the Golf was huge. I've yet to have it run out on me and I don't re-fill that regularly.

My last car, a MINI had only about 2.5l in it - useless.

·
Registered
126 Posts
did over 200miles yesterday uo M1 and m62 and also over some moors and we parked in a services and to be honest it was no dirtoer than other cars so I think people here are being "picky" it is car and it will get dirty.

re the screen wash tank what capacity is it I wonder and do we have the low screenwash alert ???

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
re the screen wash tank what capacity is it I wonder and do we have the low screenwash alert ???
Marvin says capacity is 6l.

You'll only have a low screen wash alert if you have the winter pack or Xenons.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Marvin says capacity is 6l.

You'll only have a low screen wash alert if you have the winter pack or Xenons.
No, the capacity of my Rover was 6 litres. I believe the capacity of the Golf (mine, anyway) is about 3.5 litres, so it is rather mean especially for a car which demands so much use of it.

A low level indicator is a fat lot of good when you're somewhere where perhaps water isn't available!

·
Registered
566 Posts
I'll probably get kicked for being wrong, but I'm sure someone once said it's to do with how upright and flat the back of the car is. The rounder it is, the more stuff that gets sucked around te back of the car sticks to it.

As the mk5 is "cutely rounded" (dont ask, quote from a girl I know [:cool:]) - more sticks to it.

What took a week in my mk4 has taken 2 days on the mk5... I'm not the hugest fan of car washing so naturally I'm not happy lol [;)]

C
You are correct. It is do with the how upright and how flat the back of the car is. As a Focus is more angled at the rear, less dirt sticks to it as there is less of a (tail) vacuum being created at speed. The same vacuum, again at speed, is bigger on the Golf. This has been pretty much the case on most marks of Golfs.

~ Maxie

1 - 20 of 20 Posts