Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was having a conversation with the boys today in uni and one of them said putting a spoiler or kitting a car up in generaly devalues it [B)] I can see where theyre coming from, as not all age-ranges will be potential customers for the car but does it really devalue it. I personally thing if it is kep OEM style and not over done, it would go for more !?

·
Registered
579 Posts
depends how you kit it.i would say a oem kit would add value as they don't only look nice but make them more desirable

·
Registered
685 Posts
It depends on alot of things. Generally if you do a car up well i.e not tacky or shabby (krap body kits/spoilers) whatsoever then yes it can add value however you are limiting yourself to how many people would be interested in purchasing it after. For example my old polo was up for sale and included everything i had ever bought for it e.g. wheels. 2k worth of alpine system etc & it was on the market for 6 months before i finnaly did sell it (can you believe that after all this a guy who lives 2 doors away bought it[:I]). I was extremely lucky because i got good money for the car but in fairness it was in excellent condition!

Alot of people get put of by a done up car because it is more likely to have been thrashed to pieces.

YOGi

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
It will add value to your car if it is a nice looking example.. As to the right person they will be happy to pay more for the car than the same car in standard spec.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Ive actually gor rid of my kit as i thought it would de value the car. These are the reasons:

- Kitted up car looks as though it may have been trashed

- Sometimes people want to kit up their car the way they want

- Insurance cost

- Golf can also appeal to the mature individual

- May have been in an accident, that is the reason for the kit.

Not everbody's way of thinking, but i would certainly think twice for the above reasons when buying a car.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
intersting arguments here. When I mean kitting up, I mean like kitting up a bora using only , say, oettinger equipment. For instance, like S_Bakers little slice of heaven. Would that be OEM or OTT ?

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
You can look at it 2 ways - both have already been mentioned, but this is my 2p:

It will add value to someone who likes the car and who may be prepared to pay more for it in a modified state. This is a very small market and is usually found more by luck than anything else.

Body kits are usually the first sign that a car has been 'played with' and the indiciation to most buyers is that it's been ragged rotten by a baseball cap wearing d*%khead, 'cos those are the noticeable ones. The subtley modified tasteful cars that are driven properly aren't noticed because they blend into the background.

Secondly, imagine a saleman with no knowledge of the subtlties of modding and who's taken your car as a p/ex, trying to explain the difference between an Oettinger kit and some fibreglass sh*te to a punter who couldn't care less and only wants it to go to Asda.

My thinking is that if you go down the route of OEM+ spec then it's easy to sell 'cos the buyer simply thinks you've got loads of options on the car and it's more valuable than a std one. Personally I would steer clear of kits unless you're happy to accept the potential reduction in value. There are some cracking Boras on here using Oettinger gear, Simon, Nathan and Tom to name a few, so don't be put off by the re-sale issue, if it's what you want then do it!

·
Registered
30 Posts
depends who you sell it to, if your selling it to some one that mods cars then you won't lose to much value but to the every day person I would say they wouldn't really bother looking.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I still dont get why people think because its got a bodykit on it , it means its been ragged, people spend money on cars then look after them especially if its bodywork, they dont rag em !!

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
The reason people think this is because of magazines like maxpower and tv programs like the one quentin wilson did 'how good is your driving' .

Maxpower magazine:- Full of cap wearing chavs who go to cuise's to do burnouts and wheels spins and race in the cars with bodykits/mods, even though all car modders arent like that.

The Tv program quentin wilson did with the young chav in his bodykitted nova who drove like an absolute P*ick.

Everyone will have seen something to do with the car modifying scene be it on tv or in a magazine and the people that are depicted are usually people who rag the S*it out of there bodykitted cars at cruise's.

I would pay ?500 more for a tidy standard example than a maxpowerd car.

TBH i think massive alloys put buyers off. Or they would put me off.

It just shouts out 'this cars probably been Ragged' when you go to look at a car like this, even though it may not have been.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Quote: posted by Richard W on 18/02/2005 08:37:07

... The subtley modified tasteful cars that are driven properly aren't noticed because they blend into the background...

My point exactly....

·
Registered
7 Posts
My point is everycar is differnt and everyone is different , so that means there is a buyer out there for near enough all types of cars

·
Registered
296 Posts
Quote: posted by Scott_N on 18/02/2005 10:07:00

I still dont get why people think because its got a bodykit on it , it means its been ragged, people spend money on cars then look after them especially if its bodywork, they dont rag em !!

I think, in general, people believe some cars which have a kit (custom kits especially) have been ragged, hence stay away. When you just dont know whether its one of those ragged-to-death or wrapped-in-cottonwoll types, you would just steer clear completely to avoid making the wrong decision and finding out later.

Personally, i like to have a project which i can say i started from standard rather than jumped in on someone elses handywork.

Im hoping the anni kit wont reduce its value too much - certainly has done wonders for its looks [:D][8D][8D][:D]

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys, more great thoughts !

I think its just a matter of luck when you come to sell it. If I keep thinking its going to devalue my car, I will never customize a car I own to the way I like it. I dont like over-done rude-boy max power style cars ... theyre a definate no no for me - original but different is what I want (if you knwo what I mean). Also, I could probably replace the old valaneces/grills etc when I do come to sell it if I cant find a buyer for some time.

Im sure everyone has seen cars which have been kitted up .... and when you get close the engine sounds like a tractor. But then, we arent driving novas here are we. I love my car, take care of it the best I can (wash it even when I cant find time !). My friends know me as being OTT when it comes to car care.

I think im going to go ahead and do the bits I want to do to it. You only live once ...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Modding unfortunately does knock value off the car, you end up limiting the appeal of the car and some will assume it has been thrashed.

I am selling my 5 door 1.8T soon, I am 40 years old the car is mint, totally original and already I have three people interested just through word of mouth.

I doubt I would have had as much interest if the car had been wearing 18" TT rims, and had been chipped by AMD[!]

·
Registered
737 Posts
I agree with comments here ref. certain bodykits. Unfortunately this is very popular amongst the chav brigade and gives others cars a bad image. Hence I would usually go for an OEM car. The other trend that I can't understand is dropping the suspension to the point where the 19" wheels are almost touching the bodywork?? Modified cars often look great but imo some owners go ott.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Interesting topic this one.

I managed to buy my kit pretty cheap and along with most of the mods it just takes time with a little spent here and there to get it how you want it to look.

Going on previous experience I think that it depends who you are selling the car too? If you aim your car at a specific market then you will probably get more than you would have thought but obviously if you are look to sell to a dealer or a garage, they won't care what it's got on it, they will just give you list price.

I would like to think that when I sell mine I will get something around the price that I paid for the car?

At the end of the day with most kits if it's fitted properly you will surely attract buyers?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts