Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
50,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted Image

Bought by a customer of mine,or rather delivered to him all the way from Essex (claims he knows the seller and he'd never do anything dodgy[facepalm]).Anyway it's got an immobilisor problem,the seller left it running when he delivered it but after he'd left the engine was switched off but it wouldn't start again afterwards and hasn't done since.One of the keys doesn't even have an transponder chip in and a code read only gives me "low signal from pickup coil" or similar.

Sooooo.......I need to know please if anyone recognises this car and can tell me anything about it's history,the reg number is V913OTW,it's a 1.4 litre and obviously it has Lambo doors.

Chris.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
this looks a interesting thread to watch !
Car looks terrible , The owner has got balls to drive around in that knowing people will laugh their heads off

·
Super Moderator
50,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
run a car check on the plate? are you thinking its stolen then?
No insurance but tax and MOT,don't think it's stolen as it's got two proper VW keys and three Clifford remotes with all the paperwork.

How were they in contact with the buyer in the first place - Phone, forum, email etc?
The seller knows the buyer and rung him up asking if he wants to buy "a cracking little runaround".The buyer runs a grub stop van and sells cars by parking them next to it,he only wants to sell it on and hopes it'll be gone by the weekend[facepalm].

Maybe the seller will return with the transponder and nick it back?
Only one out of the two keys is missing the transponder,but something in this area just isn't right.

To everyone else,despite it's appearance in the photo,it's actually quite well done and everything fits and works as it should do.So please stop with the "how embarassing" etc comments and if you don't have an answer to my question then please don't answer.

I'm sure I've seen this car somewhere before,so if anyone knows ANYTHING at all about it,it would be very helpful.

Chris.

·
Super Moderator
50,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
why is it not possible to contact the seller ?
When the car was delivered at the weekend the seller want through what to me sounds like a well rehearsed act when he pretended to be surprised that it wouldn't start again[:O].He stayed behind for aa couple of hours "trying" to get it started but failed,and when we tried to ring him today his phone was switched off.

Chris.

·
Registered
11,013 Posts
That's a nice looking Golf. [H]

I may be wrong, but from looking at some of the bits on there, is that Awesome Jim's old sales car? (Think his was on Azev A's though, but they could've been changed).

Wigster.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
But he got it started........ This as you said makes no sense , Hope your been paid by the hour on this one ? !

worth stripping out the clifford ?

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
Not a great deal of help but google the number plate and it brings up an ad for the car. Theres a mobile no. on the ad.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Have you plugged in a diagnostic computer ???? Also as it has the Clifford alarm did it have remote start as the missing transponder is prob next to the key barrel ;)

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
That's a nice looking Golf.

I may be wrong, but from looking at some of the bits on there, is that Awesome Jim's old sales car? (Think his was on Azev A's though, but they could've been changed).

Wigster.
From memory that was a 1.8t, and LHD at that!

·
Super Moderator
50,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's a nice looking Golf.

Wigster.
Don't think it was quite that posh from memory,and more recent as well.

But he got it started........ This as you said makes no sense , Hope your been paid by the hour on this one ? !

worth stripping out the clifford ?
It's possible to get a car started without even a transponder chip in the key using a VERY readily available and cheap lead and software,but just for one start/stop cycle.Hence the reason the seller kept it running for as long as possible,knowing as soonn as it was turned off it couldn't be got running again without plugging a compute into it.

For once it actually looks like it isn't the Clifords fault,so unless proven otherwise it's staying where it is for now.

Not a great deal of help but google the number plate and it brings up an ad for the car. Theres a mobile no. on the ad.
Thanks Dave,haven't tried it but looks like the number we tried ringing earlier.

Have you plugged in a diagnostic computer ???? Also as it has the Clifford alarm did it have remote start as the missing transponder is prob next to the key barrel ;)
Yes and all I get is "low signal from pickup coil" or similar.The Cliford doesn't appear to have remote start enabled and the missing chip isn't anywhere to be seen.certtainly not on the pickup coil or barrel anyway.

Chris.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
very strange chris

what about they might have changed the barrell and key at some point... hence why it doesn't marry up with the clocks or ecu.... and they didn't have the software to code it all up

is it poss just to get it started they had the old barrell and key to start it as it was damaged (stolen and recovered ???) then just drove it to you ???

i haven't really looked into the ins and outs of the ignition system on these golfs due to i have never need too... so im just going from experiences with other cars lol

odd one though

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
think i've seen that car around my way before. I reconise it from the body kit.this was a few years ago so the owner may have sold it on

1 - 20 of 37 Posts