Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help me with a DOS program I am trying to run?

It has been so long since I have used DOS , that I have forgotten the commands to type to change directories and to make a program run.

The program I am trying to run an "exe" program and will only work under DOS,,not a DOS in a windows shell either.

I am going to run it on a old pc using windows 98 ( due to xp not having a basic dos option)and boot the pc straight into DOS.

The program is installed direct onto C: drive.

From the command prompt ,,how do I get into the program directory , and then make it run ??

What are the correct commands i should use and syntax commands .

I will be gratefull for any advice please .

Cheers Simon

[:)]

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
XP does has a DOS window, type CMD in the run option.

As for changing directory use CD,

File listings are DIR

As for executing an file, just type the filename in, minus the .EXE, .COM or .BAT extension.

So in you case, once in DOS type;

c:

cd <directory>

<filename>

·
Registered
875 Posts
cd <foldername>, then just type the name of the exe and hit enter. Will the program not run in dos box under xp. Start -> Run-> CMD Enter.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
i think you need CD\ then the directory

and repeat until you reach the sub-directory you need.

XP not having DOS...talk about stupid. i have needed it before and its not bloody there!!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The program will not run under shell of windows,,it will only run on a basic dos version ,,and the dos version on xp is in the windows shell.

Damm xp ,,its good a some things ,,but when it comes down to basics ,,

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
ahh the old DOS commands, yer remember loads of them

CD\ will take you back to the root of the drive

CD.. will take you back to the last folder etc

If your gonna use DIR, use either DIR /P or DIR /W as this will list them a screenfull at a time, otherwise you just get a big list running past your eyes!

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
In XP use the command prompt accessed from / through start - accessories.

Also, when you get a DOS executable and want to run it through windows you can s elect an option from the properties tab (right clicky) to prevent the application thinking it's running in a DOS window from windows etc.

I've found XP and '98 before quite good in this respect.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Excellent Geeba,

Another nostalgia trip here.....

Does anyone remember having to set their PC's up in multiple boot configs to enable the latest games to run ? For example -

I had 4mb of RAM with a 2 speed CDRom and when the device drives for the CDrom were loaded, there wasn't enough memory to run Doom. So had to mod the Autoexec.bat and Config.sys files NOT to load any memory hungry devices.

I remember even creating bootable floppies that I'd use if I were going to play a particular game.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
4Mb of RAM!!!! I used to dream of 4Mb RAM!!! LOL!!! my first bought PC (not hand me downs!) was a whopping 386-16 with 1Mb RAM on 4 256k 30pin sims!! LOL! I had to save like heck to buy 4 more 256k to have 2mb POWER!!! LOL!!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hey Geeba, you're showing your age there (I'm guessing mid-30s), as I was still using Atari ST when my college first received 386-16s. The 386 DX was a real find, as i think it had it's own maths co-processor or something?? I'll get my coat!

Chalky!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cheers guys .

Wow , this is bringing back old memories of learning to use DOS again .

At last its all coming back ,and I see how I was going wrong too,,putting wrong slashes in [:I]

ct.p,,,where can i find the option to stop the program knowing its in a DOS under windows ??

I have gone into the DOS program properties of the program I want to run and dont see anything ??

Should i be looking elsewhere ??[:I]

Hopefully I will be fluent in DOS this next week [:eek:)]

Simon

[:)]

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
I think you right click on the app you want to run in DOS mode and somewhere there should be an option that'll say something like "Prevent programmes from knowing they are running under windows" or something like that.

I would check but havn't got any DOS apps anymore.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Chalkywhite... yup just about to turn 35... and yes I'm getting scared! 35-40 summers left on average! LOL!!!

Yep the DX had built in math co-pro... I had the SX the math chip was another upgrade [:(] couldn't afford that and the HUGE memory upgrade! LOL!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Hmmm not heard of that one... started on ZX81... progressed to 16K specy.. slapped on a RAM pack for real power.. tried Jupiter Ace for a while then Acorn Electron and BBC-B... then got into cars and didn't venture back to geek land until x86...

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
386, that is cutting edge - Try a Amstrad 1512, 512k ram. No Hard Drive (although I did spend ?200 on a 32Mb drive with only 27Mb usuable space on). Bootable floppies - I still use them. In fact you will need one to be able to run this program. The DOS Shell in XP will not allow most non-windows programs to run, you will need to boot into a full DOS Program and run it from there. Seeing as you are using Windows 98 you should be ok. Type cd \ to go back to the root then cd Program Files and then filename.exe to run it. Job done.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts