Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Personally I like to save my money and learn something new and do it myself especially the 50k service that is coming soon which is only a oil and filter change. i rang VW for the parts which come to ?33.04, not to bad... then i randomly asked how much it will be for them to do the oil change, they quoted me ?100 labour! im going to buy some drive up ramps and the oil filter ratchet removal tool, should only cost ?40 for the both of them, then i have all the necessary to do the oil changes every 5k miles. my car isn?t under warranty so i would prefer to do all the servicing myself, does any one else do this? i no i wont get a nice VW stamp in the service history, but I just think of all the money i could save and spend on other mods etc. obviously some things that I don?t have the bulls to do myself I will leave to a well known garage? but not VW!!

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I do all my day-to-day servicing. Anything major I do with my business partner in VAGPower who is a mechanic with over 20 years hands on experiance.

I would recomend that you get yourself a VAG-COM setup though.

As for a 1.8T oil change it is straight forward, I use a spider type filter remover on mine. I usually change the sump plug every other time (so every 10K) watch that you don't cross thread or overtighten it though, as it is easy to strip the thread on the sump. The trickest bit is getting the filter when you remove it, past the power steering pipes as it is an awkward design.

Personally I use a genuine VW filter and the best semi-synthetic from our local motor factors, as I change it every 5K anyway.

Paul

·
Registered
611 Posts
I do all my own servicing and repairs, and have done so for many years.

I recommend that in addition to VAGCOM (as recommended by GTi Jazz Blue), you get the proper MK4 Golf service manual from Erwin. For approx ?12 you will have the same service information as the dealers and will be sure that you have the correct torque settings and generally doing things correctly.

·
Registered
189 Posts
You could always buy the genuine oil and filter from VW and then ask a local non-franchised garage to change it for you. It will cost a lot less thn ?100.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You could always buy the genuine oil and filter from VW and then ask a local non-franchised garage to change it for you. It will cost a lot less thn ?100.
i will do the oil change myself as it will cost ?30 per change for labour at my local. once i learn how to do it once ill be able to do it every time. ill get a vag com within a few months im sure. how do i go about removing the cam cover so i can check the belt? i havnt got my car on me for the next few days so sorry for being lasey and not having a look [:D]

·
Registered
234 Posts
I do most of my own servicing on TDI as its 126000 miles make it a little out of warranty.

Oil and filter change pretty easy, hardest bit is getting the filter off.

Did my brake pads for first time a few weeks ago, you definately need a brake caliper rewind tool to get the pistons back in the rear calipers! But again pretty easy with the right tools.

VAG-COM great for resetting the service interval and checking the general health of the car.

Its in for a timing belt today (6000 miles late, I know!) with a local Skoda dealer as they were 200 squid cheaper than any VW dealer near me.

I have a 4motion too but leave servicing to VW as under warranty and to keep value of car.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you dont need a vag com to reset the service timer right?!?! as i though there is another way of resetting it?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
you dont need a vag com to reset the service timer right?!?! as i though there is another way of resetting it?
There is a reset sequence documented in the manual using the clock adjusting switch and trip reset button.

Paul

·
Registered
234 Posts
Think you are right, I read it in the manual somewhere you can reset it by playing with either the climate control buttons or the clock/mileometer knobs, I'll have a look see if I can find it later. You can also get the readings from some of the sensors (speed was a fun one!) through display on the climate control by playing with the buttons!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
im going to get the drive up ramps to make it easy and fast, and the oil filter removal tool, shouldnt be to hard i dare say. is there any thing else that needs to be done for the 50k miles serivice??? also any one no how to remove the cam cover at the top of their heads?!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Hang on ???? If you get drive up ramps won't your engine be at an angle, meaning that a lot of the old oil stays in the sump when you try and drain it ?

How do you plan to get the car level ?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
correct me if im wrong but the sump plug is facing towards the rear od the car... there for if the car is facing nose up then the oil will run towards the back of the car and through the sump plug!?!?!?

·
Registered
459 Posts
I don't know, If thats the case then it should be ok.  I just thought for a second you may become a bit stuck on this. 

·
Registered
611 Posts
Think you are right, I read it in the manual somewhere you can reset
it by playing with either the climate control buttons or the
clock/mileometer knobs, I'll have a look see if I can find it later.
You can also get the readings from some of the sensors (speed was a fun
one!) through display on the climate control by playing with the
buttons!
You can only reset the service indicator via the dash if you want fixed
interval servicing. If you are on variable service intervals then it
must be reset via VAGCOM or similar, or it will revert to fixed
intervals.

There is no need to use ramps to change the oil, just jack up the car
on one side a bit to get more clearance. Make sure the car is on level
ground, the wheels are chocked and the jacked up side supported on axle
stands before getting underneath.

If you do decide to buy ramps, be very careful, as you are likely to
hit the skirt of the front bumper on them when you drive up.

·
Registered
927 Posts
i only service my car myself, cos after almost 15yrs in the trade, it'd be bit silly not too!

sides, when your old man and brother own garages its all the more simple.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Yeah.....I service my car myself also - just did it this weekend gone - I used all genuine VW filters (air ,fuel, oil, pollen) & oil from GSF. Cost me about ?65 for all the bits. [;)][;)]

Theres nothing I wouldnt tackle on any of my cars now to be honest - thats mainly due to my other infatuation in Renault 21 Turbos....but we wont go into that here as I'd prob bore the life out of you! LOL! [:$][:$]

Just keep all your receipts for the parts as proof that the car has been regularly serviced etc [Y]

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
On a 50k motor I personally would like to keep the stamps going, even though I am confident in doing the work and always have before I got the MK4.

For pure resale value and desirability it is worth it.

I searched for my car for about 3 months and wouldn't even go to look at a car without a full service history !! especially at 50k.

I will carry on with the schedule upto the 76k service, then DIY it after that. But you have to be meticulous with every receipt.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts