Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had a twin jet milltek with straight through centre pipe fitted at local garage. Sounds like turd! Like one of those nova's/saxo's with a dustbin for an exhaust. V.Loud and boomy, even at 2K rpm...gets quiter higher up the rev range

I sincerley hope its dodgy fitting on the exhaust centres part thats causing the sound.....I think it might be blowing, even though I'm not too sure what that sounds like cos i've never had a blowing exhaust before!

The way its hung is deffo dodgy though, its 1 1/12 inches below the v6 valance and crooked. Its actually got lower since it was fitted. I can grab the tailpipes and rotate the whole backbox with very little effort....can't be right? Bad clamps? The fella at the garage said he couldn't fit it any higher because it'll hit the chassis, but looking at some pics in members rides others have had a much more snug fit.

Anyway, i'll be back there tomorrow, but i've got a feeling they won't get it sorted. What to do? Anywhere in south london/surrey that'll DEFINITELY be able to fit it properly?

[:(!]

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
If you can rotate the back box like that, something is wrong. Sounds like they have not done up the back box clamp enough and it's blowing at the joint where the axle pipe meets the back box. I expect that the noise changes quite a bit with temperature too. However, be aware that the clamps are not very good as the bolts tend to bend and distort when they're done up. Don't be tempted to use the standard U clamp in place of the Milltek ones. A standard U clamp will put a dent in a stainless exhaust, so you have to use a band clamp of some sort.

The height fitting is down to the back box hangers. The bit that normally knocks at the back is where the curved piece goes over the back axle, not the back box itself. Get the fitters to position the axle pipe properly, so that the axle runs though the centre of the curve in the pipe. Then deal with the cosmetic adjustments to the back box and clamp it properly. It may be necessary to bend the hangers on the back box slightly in order to achieve an optimum fit.

Any competent fitter sould be able to deal with it given a little patience.

·
Registered
836 Posts
The fit of a Milltek is not great IMO... I had loads of grief fitting mine. It still knocks on the rear beam, and at the front when it's really cold out. It's quite boomy too.

I suspect the front joint to the downpipe is loose ( it's a nightmare to get really tight) It will also allow the exahust to slowly shift backwards!

Good luck, post again when they have had another go..

·
Registered
493 Posts
The garage that did mine had done hundreds of Millteks before and said it was a luck of the draw thing, some fit perfectly and some need a lot of fettling to get right. They seemed surprised when mine fitted first time with no problems.

With regard to the noise, I think you'll find most are boomy at first but quieten down as they get broken in and lined with carbon etc.

Cheers, Jim

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
faisel.

Where abouts in south london are you.

There are a few places in Croydon i could recommend.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mo...i'm in Sutton, 15min from croydon. Please let me know where these places are!

Where can i get better clamps? Can you use those band/jubilee type jobbies you tighten up with a screw down the side?

I'm off to see if the garage that fitted it can sort it out

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorted. Many thanks for the PM Mo, but it its not needed now. (I've had bad experiences with the sutton branch of RSR so wouldn't go there anyway)

Turns out the guy who fitted the exhaust the first time just didn't know what he was doing....i took it back and a more experienced fitter pointed out clamps were loose and exhaust was touching rear beam. All credit to them for sorting it properly, he took it all off and started again and its perfect now!

Nice low exhaust tone, not too loud, and looks great! [^]

Think i'll go give it a wash now!

·
BORA owner!!!!!!
1,624 Posts
Glad to hear it all got sorted!!!, i know that when something like that happens to my car i,m worrying about it until its sorted!!!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Aaaagghhhh![}:)]

Its fine when its cold, but realised last couple of times i drove the car that after it gets hot and expands it starts rattling, most likely against the rear beam.

So annoying

This has really put me off millteks, think i'll go custom next time

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Yes, that can happen at first but once you get it sorted it should be OK. Note to self, make arrangements to go back and get them to sort out the new rattles since my back box was changed...

·
Registered
836 Posts
The place I found that the rattle/knocking was coming from is the front mount ( the big plate that straps across the floor. The bar the miltek has for hanging has some washer/flanges on it to stop sideways movement, I found these were rubbing on the plate. I ground the bottom edge flat and that stop 95% of the knocking and let the exhaust hang in the middle of the tunnel properly.

Mine does knock on the beam occaisionally but on a low car it's gonna be hard to avoid that as there ain't alot of room over the top. I have never known an exhaust to stretch the way a Milltek does!

Have milltek changed the way they may their systems or something, everyone used to rave about them on here and we are now getting a few more fitting problems and noise complaints.... Glad I'm not the only one now though!

And my tailpipes are rusting!!! [:(]

Scott

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok....i might not be happy with the exhaust itself but milltek's service at least seems good.

I took the car to the garage AGAIN this morning and they said it couldn't be made to fit any better. So i got on the phone to milltek, and explaained the problem to the lady at milltek, who immediately patched me through to Dave Marshall, the MD of milltek apparently!

Had a long chat with him, and I calmly expressed my dis-satisfaction; the fact that it arrived over a week late, and it was still sitting at milltek a few days after i was told it had been dispatched, and the fact it wouldn't fit. He apologised and he said basically that lots of mk4 golf owners have problems with the exhaust if its not fitted by a milltek approved dealer. He said the whole exhaust needs to be shifted forwards so the exhaust hangers aren't vertical anymore and some of the pipes rotated to clear everything.....this allows enough room so it doesn't touch anywhere when it expands.

Anyway, he's offered to fit it properly for free at their premises (a bit far), but he's going to try to get bigboystoys to sort me out with the fitting if he can first.

Hopefully it'll all be sorted soon anyway, fingers crossed!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Quote: posted by Faisal on 19/01/2005 23:00:07

Ok....i might not be happy with the exhaust itself but milltek's service at least seems good.

I took the car to the garage AGAIN this morning and they said it couldn't be made to fit any better. So i got on the phone to milltek, and explaained the problem to the lady at milltek, who immediately patched me through to Dave Marshall, the MD of milltek apparently!

Had a long chat with him, and I calmly expressed my dis-satisfaction; the fact that it arrived over a week late, and it was still sitting at milltek a few days after i was told it had been dispatched, and the fact it wouldn't fit. He apologised and he said basically that lots of mk4 golf owners have problems with the exhaust if its not fitted by a milltek approved dealer. He said the whole exhaust needs to be shifted forwards so the exhaust hangers aren't vertical anymore and some of the pipes rotated to clear everything.....this allows enough room so it doesn't touch anywhere when it expands.

Anyway, he's offered to fit it properly for free at their premises (a bit far), but he's going to try to get bigboystoys to sort me out with the fitting if he can first.

Hopefully it'll all be sorted soon anyway, fingers crossed!

I can confirm that when Milltek fit them, they dont rattle...at all! Mine is 110% perfect! It was made by milltek specially for my car (was a new design for the A3) and its never knowcked once in the year its been on the car. There is WAY more adjustment on an exhaust than you would think, so i would place money on it being able to be sorted out with relative ease!

Rich

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Relative ease eh?

Dave Marshall managed to arrange free fitting for me at bigboystoys....got there and they got it up on the ramp and confirmed its hitting the rear beam (theres marks on the pipe now.) But, to clear the beam, the whole exhaust has to be shifted forward, which isn't possible because of the front mount Caged mentioned. The exhaust can't go further foward without the mount being chopped off the pipe and rewelded 3/4" further back to allow the whole exhaust to come forward.

The mechanic got on the phone to Mr Marshall straight away to see if there was anyway round it, but no....i'm going to have to drive the 150miles up to milltek to get them to sort it.

All this hassle for a flipping exhaust!

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
You can tell Mr Marshall that I had exactly the same thing with mine. Unfortunately, it was a little more involved for me to take my car to Milltek so I got my fitters to sort it out. They cut about 3/4" or so out of the pipe in the section just in front of the rear axle so that it would fit over the axle properly without knocking.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote: posted by pope1 on 21/01/2005 23:27:45

You can tell Mr Marshall that I had exactly the same thing with mine. Unfortunately, it was a little more involved for me to take my car to Milltek so I got my fitters to sort it out. They cut about 3/4" or so out of the pipe in the section just in front of the rear axle so that it would fit over the axle properly without knocking.

Had the exhaust finally fixed yesterday at milltek.

The whole exhaust needed shifting forwards to give enough clearance over the rear beam. They took it apart, and saw half the problem was that the two little brackets on the front mounting point had been bent backwards by the monkey who fitted the exhaust the 1st time. It was only obvious when the whole mounting was removed, you can't tell from just looking from underneath.

By straightening up the brackets, and putting it all together right the exhaust shifted forward enough to give proper clearance between the pipe and the rear beam....Miltek said they recommend you should be able to get your whole hand in that gap when the system's cold, wheras i couldn't get 1 finger in before!

The fitter came with me on a 20min test drive to check for knocking etc and get the system hot. When it was hot, he got the car back on the ramps, and sure enough the pipe was still clear of the beam! [^]

MORAL OF THE STORY:

- Millteks are awesome, back-street garages aren't

- Make sure the system is far forward enough. Take the front mount off and bend the hangers forward if need be to move it all forwards enuugh so you can get your whole hand in between the rear beam and the pipe

- If possible, get the system fitted at milltek...it will fit

Sounds great all the time now!

I hope this thread helps out some other people

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Thanks for the update. I watched the guys fit mine and that front bar certainly was not bent. In fact, on mine the centre pipe cannot move forward any more because the mid silencer would then hit the fitting that the bar goes into.

The axle problem only became apparent after I had some other people in the car. When we looked at the system again we could see that the axle pipe needed to move forward but there was just no way to that because the gap between the end of the mid silencer and the cross bar mounting was only 3/8". Interesting enough, there would have been enough slack in the DP/mid section joint to allow for the necessary movement. So in the end, the only choice to get the axle section to fit was to cut a piece out of the pipe and weld it back. I was well impressed with the way that they did it, flaring one piece of pipe so that the other would fit inside before weling up the overlapping joint.

Definitely agree that less than 1 finger's clearance anywhere is not enough. When that thing heats up, the 1 finger gap disappears and it's clonkety clonk time. Why don't Milltek supply (or post on their web site) fitting instructions with diagrams if the fitting is so crucial I wonder?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts