Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Had a warning light come on, just before the car was due a service (the Cat Converter light in the dash) they ran OBD and said it was actually the EGR, they reset and did the MOT. Anyhoo about 10 miles down the road it came on again, as expected. Thought I'd have a dig around. and I found this. See Pic.

50216941043_c6846dbc52_k.jpgIMG_2011 by Paul Burgman, on Flickr

I have turned the gear through a few degrees & reinstalled, and will reset the lights. Is this just down to age (it is 15 years & 128k miles old) or is it likely something else? I have rotated the EGR mechanism by hand, it doesn't feel particularly stiff & is smooth with no notchiness. I am hoping that it will give a few months service, having just spent a fortune on bits for the MOT.

TIA

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Turning the gear to avoid the broken teeth is a common fix.

So long as the EGR can open and close fully without touching the broken teeth then it should last.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
If it were my car I'd have gone for a second hand, genuine unit, but you'll have a years warranty with the ECP part so you shouldn't need to worry too much about it. The only HAAS part I've tried is a brake light switch and that's been fine, but I can't comment about their other parts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts