Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was parked at work yesterday and when I came out at 5pm I noticed some knob has hit my new freshly painted bumper and jap bump strip. Do you think the scuff mark will polish out?

Having just recently carried out the Gora conversion and with new alloys and other bits going on this week I was all pleased with my car and getting it ready for some shows, and now some fud has hit it and really p***ed me off.

Have got Meguires 3 stage kit, but if anyone has any better suggestions on what product to use on the scuffs it would be appreciated.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oops sorry for the size of the pics, were taken with my phone, and thought it would automatically resize them to suit.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Try Scratch X from meguiars.

I had a nasty scratch on the bonnet, thought it was too deep for polish
but 20 minutes hard graft with scratch X and it now cant be seen.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
i personally think the scratch x is too harsh, especially on fresh paint. I would use stage 2 and then if it doesnt come off with that move to stage one. It will take time but you've less chance of ruinin your paint. Deffo wudnt use a machine tho on what is effectively a corner.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers guys, will try my 3 stage Meguires on it and see how much it removes.  Might even invest in a clay bar if the 1st 2 stages dont work.  Hopefully it will remove most of it, cos my eyes are drawn to it all the time now.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Meguires stage3 will not work on that. If you used Meguires scratchX 1st that will lift it & probably remove it as it has cut to it like the clay bar.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Meguires stage3 will not work on that. If you used Meguires scratchX 1st that will lift it & probably remove it as it has cut to it like the clay bar.
Will the scratchX not be too harsh on fresh paint (about 2 months) like mattmatt said? Would like to give it a try if you think it'll remove the mark as it is really annoying me.

Just noticed you can see the reflection of my baldy head in the pics[:$]

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Meguires stage3 will not work on that. If you used Meguires scratchX 1st that will lift it & probably remove it as it has cut to it like the clay bar.
Will the scratchX not be too harsh on fresh paint (about 2 months) like mattmatt said? Would like to give it a try if you think it'll remove the mark as it is really annoying me.

Just noticed you can see the reflection of my baldy head in the pics[:$]
If that was my car with the marks on it I would clay bar the whole area 1st then re polish then Wax it.

PM Jace i'm sure he will tell you the same thing.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers mate.  Is the claybar good then?  Never used one always just do the 3 stages.  So you recommend using claybar then do 3 stages instead of the scratchX.  Do you think I could get a claybar from my local Halfords, as they do the complete Meguires range.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Do you think I could get a claybar from my local Halfords, as they do the complete Meguires range.
Yep thats where i got mine from..

Sat
As Sat has said Halfords do sell the Meguires Clay Bar kit. you can use the Stage 3 after to give a high gloss. But I find it gives a fake wet gloss if you like that kind of finish.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
think he meant the 3 stage meguiars kit, not stage 3. havent tried a claybar. wud be interested to know how u get on.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cheers guys. At college tomorrow so will pop over to my Halfords at lunch time on Friday and try and get the Megs Claybar kit. Any idea how much this will set me back?

·
Registered
372 Posts
The scratches in the photos look a grey colour on your green paint - is this paint from the car that scratched you or has your green paint been scratched right through to the plastic backing? If it has i don't think any cutting compound will fix it. Fingers crossed though!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts