Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As above.

I like the traction control for the g/f driving but am still unsure for myself. It was tricky conditions here this morning on the roads and traction did not seem to be any better than good throttle and clutch control.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
it does work very well in the snow, I was messing with it earlier on today, if you give it a bit too much it does stop you sliding quite effectively.

Its instinct now to get in the car and turn it off anyhow, and you say if you have good brake/clutch control you dont really need it, ive certainly never had it and any cars prior to the golf nor have I ever really needed it.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Always, it just does the opposite to what you want in the snow, what you dont want is to lose traction in a corner, only for the system to cut the power back because wheels are spinning when all you want to do is to put some power through to stop you drifting.

I nearly had an accident last year because one time i forgot to deactivate it - and it cut power when i REALLY needed it.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Well i did give it a go earlier and turned it off. What a difference! [:O]

Car felt more responsive (I found it wasn't as easy to spin the tyres using good clutch control instead of ESP doing all the work) and the power to the wheels certainly felt more concentrated. Can't really describe how, but you know the difference when you feel it..

Will definitely be turning it off for as long as the icy conditions are here! [Y]

·
Registered
837 Posts
I've never really understood why the manuals say to turn it off in snowy or icy conditions, especially in the later MkIVs with ESP. Okay, so the ASR can bit a bit over-the-top, but the whole point of ESP is to control the car if it is skidding. If you drive the car normally and stop trying to be a hero/rally driver/boy-racer it genuinely helps in bad conditions.

In the R32, the ESP intervention is turned down a bit so you can pretty much leave it on all the time. It only cuts in when you really are getting it wrong or are attempting some serious oversteer action. About a month ago I was coming back from Reading at 2am in the morning having done some work in an BT exchange. I was tired and about 10 miles from home, blanket snow appeared while I was doing 80 on dual carriageway. I managed to shed a load of speed, but upon entering a roundabout I was still going a bit too fast. However, the ESP cut in and sorted it all out for me with no fuss. In that situation I can see no reason why you would want it turned off. Had it been off, I may not have had an R32 any more....

..although it didn't stop me turning it off and drifting the next roundabout [:D]

·
Registered
104 Posts
I thought the only time you should really turn traction control off is when you deliberately need to spin the wheels, for instance, to free yourself when stuck in snow.

I remember an episode of Fifth Gear where Tiff Needell went to the Arctic Circle to test safety features like traction control, ABS and electronic stability control on a frozen lake. The conclusion was that ESP and ABS made the car much easier to control in an extreme manoeuvre compared to when everything was switched off. The test with traction control also showed that it was impossible to climb an ice slope with it off. All these tests were done using a Jaguar X-Type which probably has a better system than a Golf, but still, I would have thought it was safer to have it on.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I saw that episode which is why I'm confused with everyone saying turning off is better in icy conditions.
Well don't just take our word for it... Try it yourself! [:)]
I'll give it a go on the way to work tomorrow! I think that the traction control system on the MkIV is not that good, which is probably why so many people prefer to switch it off [:)].

·
Registered
918 Posts
I wish you could turn off the ABS in the snow and ice. She's the first car I've had with it.

My first winter with her was nearly her last as we glided accross a T junction at 5mph when she decided that braking was too much of a mundane trask. Very graceful but a bit of a shock all the same!

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I think that the traction control system on the MkIV is not that good, which is probably why so many people prefer to switch it off [:)].
For the one time it helps me out i can probably count ten where it infuriates or hinders me. It's too intrusive and far too bloody aggressive.

I only have TCS, no ASR or ESP, so its the basic basic traction control, and i haven't experienced many other manufacturers systems, but they surely cant be as bad as this one.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Well my car is utterly useless in these conditions - it took me 3
attempts just to get off a car park with a slight incline. I can't get
any traction at all and having esp on or off makes no difference for
me. The only thing I wish I could turn off is abs as it basically stops
me from braking at all. You only have to touch the pedal for the abs to
kick in and make the brakes absolutely useless. I've been doing my best
to not brake at all over the last 2 days.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I think this is more a reference if you are using snow chains or if you use winter tyres. I have always used the traction control in the snow and found that it would cut the power but would allow you to proceed. I find you can always see the cars behind you that don't have traction control, because they see you drive of smoothly or see you cornering a bit quicker than you should thinking that they can do that and they spin out.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts