Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question, do v6?s have cam belts or cam chains? Cos? I can?t find any record of mine being changed.

Cheers for your help.

·
Registered
628 Posts
i'm pretty sure its chains but i'd like to hear it from somebody who knows for sure

also how long they last,can or do they need adjustment?

are gearboxes filled for life these days?unless leaking.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Definately chains, and you don't wanna need to change them! I beleive it's engine and geargox ooot to do the job!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Quote: posted by a8wpg on 27/02/2005 23:07:59

Definately chains, and you don't wanna need to change them! I beleive it's engine and geargox ooot to do the job!

your drunk arn't you

but thanks

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Quote: posted by JonJon on 27/02/2005 23:52:06

Quote: posted by a8wpg on 27/02/2005 23:07:59

your drunk arn't you

but thanks

No he`s not drunk [:D]

Certainly on the old VR`s the chains are on the gear box side! not 100% certain on the newer VR`s tho, also chains usualy last the life time of the engine! its the tensioners and chain guids that tend to wear out first normaly anywere between 100 - 150k.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Don't think you need to worry about changing chains. I've never know one fail. They simply wear a bit and become noisy with age. Having said that they should be fine for 100-150k miles.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Quote: posted by 1.8T on 28/02/2005 14:12:02

Don't think you need to worry about changing chains. I've never know one fail. They simply wear a bit and become noisy with age. Having said that they should be fine for 100-150k miles.

I dug about this when I bought the car 18 months ago... chain is good for life of the engine, so assuming good servicing, and not constant abuse, we should all be fine... touch wood!!![:D]

·
Registered
611 Posts
The current V5 and V6 engines have two chains at the back of the engine (gearbox side). There is no recommended service interval for them, problems with the chains are not unknown. Readers of Car Mechanics magazine will remember a Galaxy (VR6 engine) which recently had its cam chain break, causing an enormous amount of damage (>?1k parts alone). At least one member on here has had trouble with the chain guides wearing prematurely, I have not been able to find the posts relating to this since all posts prior to approx April 2004 have been deleted.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Quote: posted by BigAl on 01/03/2005 13:30:45

The current V5 and V6 engines have two chains at the back of the engine (gearbox side). There is no recommended service interval for them, problems with the chains are not unknown. Readers of Car Mechanics magazine will remember a Galaxy (VR6 engine) which recently had its cam chain break, causing an enormous amount of damage (>?1k parts alone). At least one member on here has had trouble with the chain guides wearing prematurely, I have not been able to find the posts relating to this since all posts prior to approx April 2004 have been deleted.

Is that definitely the same unit? I didnt think they make a sharan V6, so is it not a Ford sourced V6 unit in the galaxy?

Have to say I have heard of very little issue with the 24v 4motion unit, and judging buy the sheer numbers on autotrader alone, including very high milers, methinks its still a rarity to have problems.... worth checking tho i suppose, rather than have a silly bill...

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Quote: posted by evilhomer on 01/03/2005 16:41:41

Quote: posted by BigAl on 01/03/2005 13:30:45

Is that definitely the same unit? I didnt think they make a sharan V6, so is it not a Ford sourced V6 unit in the galaxy?

Have to say I have heard of very little issue with the 24v 4motion unit, and judging buy the sheer numbers on autotrader alone, including very high milers, methinks its still a rarity to have problems.... worth checking tho i suppose, rather than have a silly bill...

As I suspected, the early unit was the 12v VR6 lump from the mk3 golf (up to 2000) After that they put in the 24V lump from the 4motion.

95>2000

http://www.parkers.co.uk/choosing/specs/derivative.aspx?manu_name=Volkswagen&manufacturer_name=12243&model_id=1021&fueltype=&months=&spare1=&spare2=

2000 >

http://www.parkers.co.uk/choosing/specs/derivative.aspx?manu_name=Volkswagen&manufacturer_name=12243&model_id=1047&fueltype=&months=&spare1=&spare2=

Specs for the 2 galaxy variants are almost identical, Methinks the problem lay with the old VR6 lump not the new.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I looks to me that the earlier VR6 engine and the 20/24 valve V5/V6 share the same block assembly with only minor changes. The pictures shown for the VR6 Galaxy engine in Car Mechanics looked very similar to the drawings of the V5 engine in my engine service manual (Erwin sourced.

The Galaxy engine featured by CM failed suddenly at 90K miles with no warning. Perhaps there have been subtle changes to the chains and

guides for the 20/24V versions, however I remain concerned.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Quote: posted by BigAl on 01/03/2005 18:44:17

I looks to me that the earlier VR6 engine and the 20/24 valve V5/V6 share the same block assembly with only minor changes. The pictures shown for the VR6 Galaxy engine in Car Mechanics looked very similar to the drawings of the V5 engine in my engine service manual (Erwin sourced.

The Galaxy engine featured by CM failed suddenly at 90K miles with no warning. Perhaps there have been subtle changes to the chains and

guides for the 20/24V versions, however I remain concerned.

Actually, come to mention it bud, there are two versions of the 24V lump in the 4mo aren't their too... I have the later one, wheras the earlier one had the fan shaped pattern on the top cover, I think it was up to 2000/2001... wonder if they made changes there. hmmm I share your concern bud, but at the end of the day what more can any of us do other than good servicing... the fear that the chain may snap doesnt warrant the mega cost of replacement at the mo... decisions decisions!! [V]

·
Registered
318 Posts
The ford galaxy v6 and tdi are vw engines as they are fully accessable with vag-com software and suffer the same failings such as temp senders etc. The 2300/2000 cc galaxy`s use ford duratec/zetec units but the v6 and tdi models deffinatly use vw units. If your timing chains on the vr6 aren`t rattling I wouldn`t change them as it is a very time consuming and expensive job your pretty safe if mileage is less than 100000.

[:)]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts