Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI hope all are well. Just wonderd if any one else is in the same situ as me with insurance or if they have done similer mods and have told there insurance company and might have a rough idea how much more it cost them. I have a mk4 gti 1.8t and have had done a IHI conversion which as doubled the cars BHP im currently only paying ?489 which i am more than happy with but thats for a completly standard golf with a set of wheels so i really dont no what to do. Im sure i aint the only one in this situ.............................. am i

·
Registered
728 Posts
You would have to be stupid to have that much modification and not declare it.  If you had an accident your fault or not they would go to town on you, and so would the Police.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
tell them.....im 22 and it only cost me ?50 to put-

downpipe

exhaust system

18's

lowered

tints

so all good and will be worth it..

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Well now that you've publicised to the whole world that you're thinking of not declaring your mods, let's hope you don't ever need to claim!

·
Registered
173 Posts
I would tell them, they won't pay out if they realise you've modded it and not informed them.....

And, if they get behind the wheel and it has 300bhp as you suggest, they will soon know!

It won't be cheap though!

·
Registered
881 Posts
Insurer's will look for any minor excuse not to pay out, having a full IHI conversion, they would take one look under your bonnet and laugh in your face!

Just get it insured mate, its common sense at the end of the day.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yer i guess your all right ive only hads it done awhile so i think ill sort it out its cost me enough already would be a big shame to lose it all just for an extra few hundred quid .............. i hope

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Just by looking at your sig pic you can tell you cars not standard & if an insurance assessor had to asses you motor on a claim you would be stuck..

·
Registered
530 Posts
better to declare everything.

We all know what insurance companies are like!!!! Any excuse whatsoever not to pay out!

At the end of the day, its entirely up to you!

My two cents

Noel

·
Registered
738 Posts
Sorry to bandwagon on the thread, but totally agree with declaring everything. One thing i found very unreasonable was when i declared the dump valve they charged me 50 quid for it. i tried and tried to explain that it no performance gain whatsoever but insurance have no idea these days! Thats my rant done with lol

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Declare it dude, [Y]

I have to do the mods then delcare them for my insurance[:^)][:S] , so technically i am uninsured, but thats their crazy way of working

·
Registered
476 Posts
I recently declared the mods on my Golf to my insurers (the ones with the remote controller red phone!)

The K&N, exhaust, DV & TIP Increased my premium by ?10 / month. Daft thing is when I explained that the exhaust was only cat-back, they said it didn't matter... the cost would be the same if it had also been fitted with a hi-flow cat!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ill give my insurance a ring tomorrow i think i will have to bite the bullet just that i know others with similar mods and they would never think of declaring them and say I'm daft for declaring mine but my conscience is getting the better of me.  Didnt really think this through properly befor going ahead with the mods just saw the BHP signs and said yes.....   Thanks any way all for advise......

1 - 20 of 35 Posts