Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading a few posts on lowering Ive got myself quite confused.

I have an 2002 A3 TDi 130, I know its not a Golf, but the Audi forums are hard work and no one seems to lower their vehicles.

Anyway after a bit of research and past experience Ive gone for the JOM coilovers

However Im a little unsure if I am going to have problems with my ARB hitting on the wishbone?

Some say the cure to this is adjustable drop links, but then others say that the adjustable links only go longer than standard and not shorter so will not help?

Im only looking for a moderate drop, as I want to be able to get over speedbumps without slowing down to a holt, or ripping off the front bumper, but I want to be prepared with all the parts required rather than having to get it up on the ramps and start fitting new drop links again afterwards.

Thanks everyone

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
it depends how low you go, and which drive shafts you have as some are thinner than others, if your not going lower than 45/50mm you should be fine

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Jake, Im not exactly sure what height I am going to go I was going to just find the height judging by the stance and when it starts to hit the road.

Am I right in thinking I could lower it and see, as in get my required height then if I find I hear knocking I can look at adjustable links then without doing any harm?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im guessing the TDi will have quite wide driveshafts so imagine I may have troubles if I start going quite low.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I have recently put JOM coilovers on my bora.

I recon it's lowered by about 50mm.. and i can still get over speedbumps fine. Need to slow down, but i get over them without any scraping!

Haven't had any problem with the arb. i think it's only if you're going silly low you'll have problems.

Edit: This is the height of mine...

Posted Image

My driveshafts are pretty thick, and no problems!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmm thanks for the feedbac, well guess ill just give it a go and see if I need them or not then.

Not really aiming for silly low so hoping I wont have a problem.

Thanks for the help chaps

·
TEAM 88 MOTORSPORT
8,901 Posts
Its gonna be a suck it and see as they are all pretty much different. Im lowered a fair bit and I get no contact. at least with coilovers you can wind it bach up a bit. The adjustable drop links are too long you need shorter to stop the rubbing. You may even need a new ARB. Some have fitted the Audi TT front ARB which seems a good option as it runs below[Y]

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fitted the coilovers today and from what I can see even with the coilovers wound right down the arb is miles away from the driveshaft even when the car is not jacked up

1 - 10 of 10 Posts