Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When upgrading the front brakes is it best to also upgrade the rear so there is a similar stopping ratio to standard. So for the poor description [:$]. Standard brakes have a 60/40 split don't they.

So when upgrading to 312mm, R32 brakes or Brembos what sizes should the rear brakes be to match?

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I would suggest, 'cos of built-in tolerance/balance levels that up to 312mm is OK without changing the rears. If however, you go for biggers discs or more powerful calipers such as Brembos or R32 then a change to 256mm rears would be adviseable.

I don't speak from experience here, but have formed an opinion from others comments.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
ive got 312mm on fronts now and standard 233mm on rears and have had no problems. i am though upgrading the rears to vented drilled 256mm over the winter, purely for looks as i dont beleave it will make much difference in terms of stopping.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So what do i need carriers wise? Or do i use existing Carriers and calipers. Is it as simple as the front conversion?

I have 312mm at the mo so won't upgrade just yet but do fancy something along the Brembo line

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay have bit the bullet and bought some Brembos (hope the missus doesn't find out [:$])

So what brakes are advisable for the rears?

·
Registered
189 Posts
try some seat leon cupra r rears..........or anni rears 256mm vented with red calipers to match your purchase

after upgrading the rears to the above i felt it balanced out the breaking experience ie did'nt dip forward as much

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
will the brembos fit behind your wheels ok mate? them brembos are a fat caliper. as for rear discs, your not gonna really need a expensive disc. somthing like a zimmerman or something will suffice. Ive found Zimmerman to be a great disc. You can get them from GSF.  If you cant get red calipers for the rear just hammerite them.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
try some seat leon cupra r rears..........or anni rears 256mm vented with red calipers to match your purchase
Cheers!!! Anyone with a set of rear anni brakes for sale?

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
will the brembos fit behind your wheels ok mate? them brembos are a fat caliper.
Hope so. Have purchased Brembo clicky . Please tell me this was a decent price.

Anyway they are going behing the CHs with an ET30 so i'm praying theres enough room.

Whst do i require for the 256mm rears? is it just discs or carriers aswel

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
you will need: pair of calipers, pair of carriers, pair of 256mm discs of course, and a set of 256mm pads, maybe the splash gaurds too but i dont think thats critical.

·
Registered
189 Posts
you will need: pair of calipers, pair of carriers, pair of 256mm discs of course, and a set of 256mm pads, maybe the splash gaurds too but i dont think thats critical.
splash guards are not critical you are correct[:)]

·
Registered
626 Posts
will the brembos fit behind your wheels ok mate? them brembos are a fat caliper.

Anyway they are going behing the CHs with an ET30 so i'm praying theres enough room.

Yep they will fit with no probs, I have the same set up.[;)]

·
Registered
800 Posts

Ha I was gonna bid on those as I was watching them. And guess what, my internet crashed! Good one in getting them though!

Anyone know if 330x28mm Brembo's will fit with Anni Wheels?

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Do anyother models come with the 256mm as standard?
Your better of getting them from a 2wd car such as the LCR or Golf V5, Anni etc as the 4wd cars need an adaptor of some sort to fit.
Does anyone know where I can get this adaptor from for the rear as I have just aquired a VRS set up

1 - 19 of 19 Posts