Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

do I dont I ?

2K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  marriedblonde 
#1 ·
Hi all

I have since sold my 4motion and now own a Mini Cooper S and loving it..although I am still lurking around the dub forums as I cant shake off my passion for Vee Dubyaz....

its gotta be said that as much as I do love the go kart handling etc of my "S" I still have pangs for another Golf.... having owned a MK3 VR6 then then MK4 V6 4Motion, I am tempted to go for either an R32 or a MK5 GTi (love turbo rush)......... I have recently been promoted in my job and now have the added bonus of being eligible for the car scheme if I chose too (plus a fuel card!!!) I am reluctant to "opt in" the scheme for several reasons - one of which is that I would not be able to enhance/modify/tune the vehicle I lease..

so with the extra cash do I :

a) get my MCS booked into GTT for a 220bhp upgrade? - reservation - TLC poss void...and I LOVE Golfs

(girlfriend would be gutted if I sold the Coop)

b) sell it and buy an R32? - reservation - is it "that" much diff to my previous 4mo ?

c) sell it and buy a MK5 GTi? - reservation - the price when specced up!

d) sell it and get a Boxster 2.7 (or an S) - reservation - cost full stop!

what do you guys think? what would you do in my situation?

I travel circa 80 miles per day (mixture of m'way and A/B roads)

baring in mind that I have only driven a 52 reg Boxster S (and not at speed) and have not been out in a MK5 or R32..........

ho hum

decisions decisions

See less See more
#3 ·
do you need a bigger car for kids etc ? I think that the 2.7 Boxster is supposed to be a bit underpowered - the 3.2 S is the way to go - IMO, I wouldn't have one. For me, I'd go either mkv GTi or 220 conv on your MCS....if I had to make a decision..I'd go for...errr....the GTi as I have a family. If i didn't, def the upgrade on the MCS

#4 ·
If you don't need the space, can afford the running costs, and the capital outlay, then I don't think there is much comparison - a Boxster is a class better than any of the others, even in standard 2.7 form. If you are baulking at running costs (although depreciation is the real killer when it comes to costs and the Boxster should fare well on that front) then its altogether more about personal choice. Me? I've got kids and I'm a bit too old for a Mini - so I'd go for the Mk V GTi for fuel cost reasons over the R32. If I had a shorter commute, I'd love an R....

But you pays your money and takes your choice....

#5 ·
Add to the argument the wait for a GTI if you're buying new, the rest you could have next week if you wanted...

Never driven any of the other cars but I do love my GTI, 3500 miles and it still manages to surprise me with its capabilities at times. Calling it an 'all rounder' would imply it's a jack of all trades and master of none but I don't think there are many cars that excel in as many things as the GTI.

I had a blast with a Boxter down a country lane a few weeks back and while he could catch me in the straights I was losing him in through the bends. A Boxter in the right hands would out handle a GTI no problem, the point is you have to be a good driver to get the most out of one. There's no way I would have been able to drive a Boxter through the bends the way I was driving the GTI without worrying about the consequences.

Having said that, if I could afford one I'd love a 3.2S...and be able to drive it properly!

#6 ·
cheers guys

nah no kids or mortgage - (living at home still.....)

I here you in terms of depreciation tho, thats why I cant justify the official Works upgrade to my MCS at ?3500..

I guess the major thing would be service costs and insurance premiums (im 27) the beauty of TLC servicing!!!!

As the company pay for my fuel Im in the best position than I have ever been to get something a little fruity without worrying about cc/mpg's like I used to.(kind of) (270bhp R32??)

size/doors and seats arent an issue just me, mah gal, my mountain bikes (use the rack on g/f's Polo), and my petrol r/c car to carry around if need be...

things I miss from previous rides :-

-turbo rush from my MR2 turbo

-V6 sounds from both Golfs and my FTO

-4 wheel drive from the 4motion

maybe a turbo'd R32 is the way forward lol

#8 ·
having sold a cooper s works and brought a gti i can say that it is a difficult enough decission between just these 2 never mind the rest. Alls i can say is 210bhp in a mini is lots and lots of fun and also really worth getting the jcw seats aswell just to enhance the experience. On the other hand the gti handles really well considering the size difference and i am totally happy with mine so like they say really each to their own and all that.

good luck with what ever one you choose

#11 ·
True. Independence is a great thing (should have posted that yesterday for the yanks among us)

I would certainly try them all out. If you buy a new GTI to your spec you'll be waiting 4 months which is why I didnt go for it, as the MkV R32 will be the new hot topic by then. (VW envisage orders for Jan but we'll see)

I would see what you can get from work and suffer not modding for a while, coz then if you really cant live without it, you have more options by then. Eg. cancelled order GTI, cheaper Boxster since there will be second hand new mks out by then.

JMO

#12 ·
If you get a fuel card and your private fuel paid for then you will be subject to a benefit in kind scale charge. They are calculated based on a standard value (?14400) to whish is applied the emissions percentage based on the emissions rating of the car that the fuel is provided for. R32, Boxster et al are highly ranked and so scale charge would be high. Cooper S in stad form is not bad - Mk V GTi is better though. Not sure about modded cars - presumably you just use std rating.

On that basis, you may want to revise costs associated with R32 and porker and go back to straight choice between MCS and GTi. In your situation, I'd buy a house....

#13 ·
thanks for your input guys

Believe me I am living life (off to Oz and NZ with my girlfriend for a month at the end of July) and am also considering buying a house too .......she already has one (even tho in my eyes I dont see that as "living life" tbh)

however - I guess the real answer is try before I buy and take it from there - I thinking Im swaying towards the GTT 220 package on my MCS then reconveine at a later date

BTW - why is buying a Porker whilst living at home crazy? Id rather do it and buy the t-shirt when I have minimal outgoings than to "potentially" not do it at all in the future due to mortgage/overheads/nappies etc. Never been a better time than right now.....imho

mmmmmmm GTI......lol

cheers

#14 ·
BTW - why is buying a Porker whilst living at home crazy? Id rather do it and buy the t-shirt when I have minimal outgoings than to "potentially" not do it at all in the future due to mortgage/overheads/nappies etc. Never been a better time than right now

I think its about investments - Porsche might be good as cars go but bricks and mortar are usually better. Then again, value of my house has doubled and a bit in last 4 years, so I ought to be happy, but mortgage payments are still punitive and I'll be more likely to get a porsche as the hearse than to drive at this rate!

#15 ·
Very few cars are investments and Boxsters do not hold their value like some people think.

I just think it's a bit silly being able to buy a Porsche but then having it parked on your parents driveway because you don't have a house.

I'm fighting with myself to even justify spending the money on a GTI next year. I need my own place, yesterday and now that I want to take up flying that's even more money being kept away from a mortgage.

#17 ·
If you have a fuel card fomr work that covers both your private and bussiness mileage you pay Tax on the fuel you use! But if you do use your own car for bussiness use you can then claim 40p per mile back from that for the first 10K and then I think it drops to 25p after that.

As others have said give your parents a break and buy a house!

J.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.