Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, well i currently have a 1.6FSI SE MK V with several options...

Currently with Elephant for my insurance and just paying around the 1k mark

I am 20 with 0 no claims (should change in march to one [:D])

0points

And one accident[B)]...

Well i am paying an extra ?130 for mods on my car... which are the options i picked from the factors, these are 2 zone climate, Xenons, sports suspension and rear park sensors.

Well i am getting my replacement car around march time hopefully, again brand new with several options ticked...

2zone climate

Xenons

Sports Suspension

CD Changer in arm rest

Highline Computer

Convenience Pack

Do i need to declare these or not? My salesman says no, as it will come up as standard equipment on my car when they check the specs as it left the factory like that... he used to work for an insurance company apparently.. but different insurance companies are saying different things, some say yes i do, some say no i dont... what do i do?!!?

Best quote i have had with no mods declared on my new car is ?650

Sorry for the long post cheers guys!

Chris

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Could be worth asking your insurance if you were to have them fitted how much would it cost you? that way you could get answer to your question.

But my advice would be to declare everything. It would only take a set of aftermarket door pins and they will have their excuse not to pay

·
Registered
961 Posts
go with greenlight and all those mods would be added for free, i was with elephant and they tried o rip me off and not even replace any parts i had declared and paid for ! that dont make sense!

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
I wouldn't declare anything that it has come from the factory with. A lot of the time they don't know what it does and doesn't come with anyway....

·
Registered
198 Posts
Wouldnt bother to be honest. Its not as if your declaring aftermarket modifications to your car. The extras are VW Related and not something you have added to your car after purchase. I declare major aftermarket mods to my insurnace company, (ie lowered suspension, non manufactured alloy wheels etc), however anything small and VW related is not worth mentioning. For example, I have votex rear spoiler fitted, but who is to say the car didnt come with it. Its a VW part! If I had fitted some awful looking spoiler from a boeing 747 then I would probably declare that as it is pretty obviously not a VW part. As long as you mention all major things you may add to your car in the future you will be fine. ?650 sounds good!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, i am not modding the car with aftermarket stuff, it will stay like it left the factory for a year at least... unless i get a good deal on some larger oem wheels lol

I will see what they say when i ring up after new year

Thanks Peeps!

Chris

·
Registered
149 Posts
No, I have never declared factory mods. All my insurance companies have asked for modifications from manufacturers standard!! Well this is VW standard. I would not declare this as they will base your premium on the price you wish to insure the car for.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I would tell them you have factory options. If they try to charge you extra, look for an insurer who won't charge you extra for factory fit kit...

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote: posted by burnsyV6 on 30/12/2004 17:43:54

No, I have never declared factory mods. All my insurance companies have asked for modifications from manufacturers standard!! Well this is VW standard. I would not declare this as they will base your premium on the price you wish to insure the car for.

Oh rite, well i gave the price of the car as what it cost me with all the options on.. so basically atm i am paying twice [B)]

Will get this all sorted when the new one arrives, luckily (or not as it may be) my insurance is up for renewal at around the same time as the new car comes!

Chris

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Quote: posted by Cat1.4 Posted - 29 Dec 2004 : 15:02:35

I wouldn't declare anything that it has come from the factory with. A lot of the time they don't know what it does and doesn't come with anyway....

I would not bet on that. The girl that dealt with my insurance seemed to know exact models of wheels, and all the original options. Factory fitted lowered suspension, spoiler etc all have to be declared as it is not a standard car after all that has been done.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Hi Chris,

Insurance companies generally ask if you have any equipment over and above a standard car. You should declare them as they will not be covered in the event of any claim.

Two obvious scenarios here.

1. Some low life smashes both your Xenon's - no cover as they are not within the standard cars spec.

2. You cause an accident and the insurance guys look at your car and notice some additional equipment. They void your insurance completely because the small print says that you must tell them everything whether it is factory fitted or not.

My options (see my sig) were all declared to Directline so I'm covered but they didn't increase the premium.

Another thing to consider with some insurance companies (Elephant may be one of them) is that although they ask and charge for optnios they may only give you another car to manufacturer's specification if the event of your car being written off within the first year.

This was a hot topic on the MINI2 forum when I had my MINI - I advise all people to check the small print of their policy.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Declare them.

The insurance companies aren't stupid and will find these things if you have a big claim. Theres no halm in asking. It might not even effect your premium if they are factory options.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok thing i will declare them then, not worth loosing out if something does happen

However on my current policy they have put the options into catagories which make me laugh!

EG:

Xenons - Rallye/spot lights

Sports Suspension - Lowered less than 20mil (fair enough)

Park Sensors - Exterior Modification

Climate - Interior Modification

The way the policy reads it just has the catagories on, so it makes it sound like a totally keved up car with massive spot lights across the front grill lol

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm with Admiral who gladly took around ?60/year for my Fox Evo 3's, but say if the car is nicked I will only get the stock wheels back.

Standard 1.8T + Wheels

·
Registered
464 Posts
If it comes with that from the factory, then no yous hould not need to declare it, unless specifically ased if the car has any optional extras.

Modifications are changes made to the vehicle after leaving the factory. If the insurance company were to quibble and refuse to pay on the basis that it had xenons for example, then they would be looking at the wrong end of a visit from the ombudsman.

If it comes from the factory, its standard. If you or any other pary make alterations to the vehicle after the vehicle has left the factory, then it should be declared.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Yeh, I thought as these options increase the value of the vehicle, then when you tell them the value of the vehicle, this would affect your premium and you wouldn't have to explicity state all the options. I don't think my dad declared every option on his BMWs - there are so many it would be rediculous

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Quote: posted by Felix on 17/01/2005 14:38:01

If it comes from the factory, its standard. If you or any other pary make alterations to the vehicle after the vehicle has left the factory, then it should be declared.

Companies ask if it has any changes to the manufacturer's standard specification. If you say no and it has ?3k or so worth of extras you are not going to get them replaced but would only get standard bits replaced. That's if they don't decline your cover [:O]

It's not worth hiding anything. Often insurance companies do not charge any extras for factory fit options anyway at least they didn't on mine. They will they charge extra for things like bigger wheels as they are attractive to thieves.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts