Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the subject says.......When i picked up the car on saturday they said that i could have the ECU update but i should run it first to see if i thought it needed it. They said if it didnt need doing then it could cause more harm than good.

Please could someone confirm how i can test to see if my car could require the update? I know its something to do with the "pick up" between 1k - 3k revs.

Thanks again all

Darren

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
From all the hype on the tyresmoke forum, it appears as if the update is gods gift for the R32.

Seeing as it's a free thing, maybe it wouldn't do any harm to get it done.

It's supposed to make the car feel faster.

All I can say is I had my car AMD'd stage 2 long before any updates were released by VW. And the car has been an absolute stormer ever since

·
Expression Intentionally Blank
1,132 Posts
The only one I had was after stage 2 but It didn't really need it but I got it done same time as a straight through conversion about 6 months after.

if your car is ok, leave it; if it's a bit lumpy try it on Optimax (if you haven't already) then perhaps get it done?!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I had the update done whilst at AMD took out shed loads flat spots and gave it that extension to the rev range. Made it a new car in my opinion

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I had a flat spot/hesitance at about 2.5-3k rpm and the 6463 software update seemed to fix it. I had the car rolling road tested since and it is pushing 250Bhp, now whether it was like that before the update I couldn't tell you but I am very happy with it as it is just now.

The update also fixed a problem I was having with the emissions and epc warning lights coming on on the dashboard intermittently.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
The 6463 update really has made a difference..

It is so good infact that one member of tyresmoke found that his car with the APR chip actually developed 1bhp less power.

The 6463 update irons out all the flatspots and the car just keeps going.

·
Registered
837 Posts
My car was fine when I bought it. However, curiosity got the better of me and I dropped the car at the dealers to get the V4 update to see if anything changed. This was the worst thing I'd ever done. The car felt like it was holding-back from 2-4k and then going banzai afterwards. Couple this with the sensitive throttle and it was a difficult beast to drive.

When 6463 came out the dealer installed it and it transformed the car. Loads of power, everywhere and all the time. Amazing. Pulls from a shade over tickover all the way to the limiter now.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Mine was fine too then got "sick" to the point where I was caught out a few times - Some embarrassin, some actually dangerous.

The update totally sorted it and I have complete confidence in all conditions.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just do it.....

The dealer has to apply it under warranty (that's how they are paid) so complain of hesitancy (we've all had it....) and insist that they just f'ing well do it.

It would be nice if you got it used to optimax (compulsory) first and then did a pre and post 6463 rolling road....

·
Registered
336 Posts
Can only endorse all the comments made above.

You don't need the update but it would be nonsensical not to have it completed as it improves the car. I didn't really have any flat spots but the car was improved with the update nonetheless.[:)]

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm using optimax at the mo, I'll speak with the dealer next weekend and get it booked in. They need the car for a day anyway as they have a new key arriving and they need the car for a while. Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When i asked the salesman i asked him what should i run it on, and his response was you can use unleaded but either the optimax or the BP good stuff (cant remember name) would be better.

·
Registered
837 Posts
You can always run it on 95....but it doesnt like it. Found that the power delivery became a bit lumpy. However, don't worry about Optimax too much. Yes it is the only one that is 98RON but my car seems to like Esso 97 too.

At the end of the day, as long as you don't use supermarket petrol you should be okay.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Quote: posted by spanner on 18/01/2005 11:32:11

You can always run it on 95....but it doesnt like it. Found that the power delivery became a bit lumpy.

I mostly run on 95 because there is nowhere within 100 miles of me that sells it or super unleaded. I must admit I have never noticed a problem with it and the car pulled 250 on the rollers running 95

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
If it's out of VW warrenty then the dealer can't get paid (by VW uk) for doing the work. So I seriously doubt any dealer would do it for free.

It wasn't an official recall, so it won't be something they'd do outside of warrenty.

If u bought it the car via VW as a 2nd hand car, then it might be something they'd do for free under the warrenty

·
Registered
157 Posts
got the update today, totally different car, faster, smoother, easier to drive, less jerky, more refined bang on, would recommend it if you've not had it done :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts