Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I have just bought a 2002 3 Door GT TDI 130PD. Although the seats are sporty and "Recaro-ish", the are not badged as Recaro's. Im worried that ive been done as all of the GT TDI's that I see on here seem to have Recaro seats.

So....are the Recaro Badged seats std equipment in the GT TDI range of cars.....or just the 150PD version??

Guys...clear this up for me??

Cheers

Andy Birch

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Recaro's where standard equipment on Gti 1.8T's up until 2001-ish.

From 2001-ish (a little after the Anni Came out) VW started fitting SPORTS seats inplace of REcaros. So Recaro's could only be had as an Option in Leather only!

Basically after the Anni came out, Recaro's where ONLY standard fit in those..

Now I guess the same applied to the Diesel cars too??

·
Registered
646 Posts
Quote: posted by Richard W on 04/10/2004 11:52:13

AFAIK Recaros were never standard fit on any of the GT TDi models, always a cost option. The Anniversary is different, it's a GTi model with a diesel engine.

Thats what I thought, so all GTTDI's have 'sports' style. Recaros if fitted are owner retrofits.

·
Mk4 for 13 years
993 Posts
They have got to be the same sort of thing without the badge i think. My mate has a 1.8 T with recaros - the only difference seems to be the 4 recaro badges (obviously) and that the bits to the rear of your shoulders are slightly thicker and overlap the headrests a little.

I have a TDi 130 and they are referred to as sports seats only, but for the difference as I see it, I dont see any point in changing them for ones with recaro badges on.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I heard a rumor that VW had stopped putting in the Recaros with the stitched Recaro name on them as standard so that for little Chavs walking past the interior drew less attention to it and there for reduced risk of being broken into [?]

Anyway hopefully picking up my Recaro Chairs (with the stitching) on Monday [:D]

·
Registered
703 Posts
Quote: posted by GT_TDI on 19/11/2004 11:01:51

I heard a rumor that VW had stopped putting in the Recaros with the stitched Recaro name on them as standard so that for little Chavs walking past the interior drew less attention to it and there for reduced risk of being broken into [?]

Now that sounds like the kind of bull that must have originated from a stealer!

"No sir, even though they don't say Recaro they are just the same but without the logo" when the shape is also completely different!

·
Registered
21 Posts
My dealer told me that they changed the recaros to "sport seats" because the recaros gave less access to the rear seats when folded forwards.

So more room for access instead of nice recaro.I'd know which i'd like.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Quote: posted by Rally_Chris on 19/11/2004 11:39:10

Now that sounds like the kind of bull that must have originated from a stealer!

"No sir, even though they don't say Recaro they are just the same but without the logo" when the shape is also completely different!

Lol - now that sounds like a very real possibility ......

Agreed that the sport seat and Recaro are nothing alike...

·
Registered
798 Posts
heard a rumor that VW had stopped putting in the Recaros with the stitched Recaro name on them as standard so that for little Chavs walking past the interior drew less attention to it and there for reduced risk of being broken into

Pikeys don't normally break in to steal the seats, unless they're nicking the entire car of course.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
IMO It was just a cost cutting exersise, The price of the golf 1.8t was around 18k when it came out in 1998 it dropped to around 16.5k by 2001 but some equipment got dropped, no recaro's, no 12v in the boot, little things that bring down the cost

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Quote: posted by tim5150 on 07/01/2005 20:47:36

Recaro makes all the sport seats for Volkswagon. The anniversary Recaros are the same seat as the 1.8T and 150 PD seats just with a Recaor stitching on them.

Wrong, these are not the same design as sports seats.

After owning sports seats I now have Recaros which give me much more support than the sports seats ever did.

Anniversary Recaro seats

Posted Image

Standard Recaro seats

Posted Image

VW Sports seats

Posted Image

·
Registered
703 Posts
Agreed, the side bolsters on the VW Sports Seats offer very little side support compared with the Recaros, and are a completely different shape on both the base and backrest.

Also, the sports seats that I recently fitted had the manufacturer's label on the underneath and it had no connection with Recaro....

·
Registered
164 Posts
They are still all made by Recaro. They are slightly different but its clearly obvious the quality and build is the same. Why would VW use 2 different manufacturers for similar seats. If you take off the seat covers, rip out the support sponge the frames are identical. You can mould any contour or different shape side, shoulder boulsters over the same frame.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.