Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Vendor
1,459 Posts
Hi

I went on to ETKA and found 68 different springs for the Mk4 1.8T

But they are not specific to the number of doors.

Hope this helps

Sarah

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Hi mate,

Did you buy the car from new?, reason i ask is that some countries get the factory option of raised suspension to cope with bad roads etc (15-20mm higher iirc)

I'm none too familiar with the state of the roads out in the Caribbean unfortunately (but will be more than willing to come over and test them out!! [:p]), just wondered whether this could be the reason for your taller ride height?

Steve

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's exactly what I've been wondering myself, whether it had an option like that fitted. The roads here certainly aren't good and VW has told me that my car has a spec for former British colonies so that might be it. Everything else seems to be UK spec.

I bought the car from the bodyshop manager at the local VW dealer when it was 1 year old. Unfortunately he's now returned to New Zealand and I don't think that anyone else there would know about the original spec as it was his baby. In any case, if the springs are different I reckon that VW fitted them when they saw where the car was destined to go as opposed to the local guys specifying them as an option.

So the big question is what will happen if I fit a Koni spring kit. Presumably I will get a massive drop over what I have now (maybe 45-60mm) and the car will feel radically different. Front valance will be dragging on the ground too [:(]. If it does have the taller springs at the moment, it might explain why I've always slagged off the handling of the Mk IV.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Yeah it does sound like that could be the cause of the tall ride height and does make sense that possibly VW specced the option knowing the car was heading onto roads that were not in the best of condition...

I'm wonderding myself now as to whether the springs themselves are 'taller' to give the increase in ride height or whether some form of spacer is utilised in someway?

I remeber an article in VWDriver magazine about lowering a Beetle Cab, during the strip down they found some Aliminuim spacer blocks at the top of the dampers that appeared to have the effect of raising the ride height for some reason...

They did a search on EKTA which revealed the spacers to be not required for certain markets (NA etc..) so removed them on the Beetle with no ill effects, they wondered whether the Beetle has as standard the 'rough road' package in the UK??

If this is the case on your car you could remove them dropping the car to standard GTI height without too much expense...[:D]

Steve

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's an interesting idea Steve.  Thanks for the suggestion. Will investigate further when I get the car to Blighty.  Mind you with 68 different spring combos to choose from, anything is possible.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Gary.  Right now I will be sooooo glad when it's over.  Major stress at the moment getting everything ready and worry about all the things that could go wrong.  I've got to get it to the port by Thursday afternoon and I've only got Wednesday to finalise things with the customs broker, the shipping company and the insurance company.  Life in the tropics!

·
Vendor
1,459 Posts
You will find it all comes down to the colour marks on the springs 2 pink and 2 green.

Things like that.

But there will also be some PR codes on the service book that would help you too.

If you want to go standard of course.

But if not it could be easier.

If I can help please just let me know.

Sarah

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Had a quick look at the front springs while I was washing the car today and I've got two green and one pink dot.  Sarah, can you tell me which springs I've got please?

·
Vendor
1,459 Posts
Hi

Yes I can

357411105T is the part number.

PR codes G27 and L07

G27 Means Luxury Suspension

L07 Means front axle weight 671 - 695KG

Sarah

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cheers Sarah. Luxury suspension eh? I guess that means tall, relatively soft springs with lots of suspension travel. No wonder my car looks like a Golf 4x4. Now I've got a load of stuff in the back of it ready to go to the port, the ride height at the back looks so much better and has given me an idea of what it ought to look like.

Steve, I think that info from Sarah confirms our suspicions. The big question now is what springs to go for. Given I have my elderly parents to transport for weekly shopping expeditions and a front valance that already scrapes in extreme situations, I don't want suspension that is too low or too harsh. I have Koni adjustable dampers on now so I was thinking of going for the Koni springs as they ought to be matched for one another. However, if I go for those I will get a much bigger drop than 30mm relative to what I have now and the car will feel radically different, perhaps a lot better, I'm not really sure.

So should I go for the Konis or consider one of the 67 other VW variants? Knowing VW prices, I suppose it mght be cheaper to try the Konis first and if I don't like them just sell them on eBay. BTW I'm keeping my 16" wheels for the time being. Any thoughts about my idea of trying the Konis?

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
My 2p. I have Koni adjustables paired with Eibach Pro Kit -30mm. I have the standard Anni 18" wheels. I don't think the ride height has altered at all from standard (pics on the www link in my sig show it's not extreme). I have 2 small children and also have to transport relatives etc. I don't have clearance issues with the Anni valence. I have the Koni's set halfway which on poor surfaces can seem harsh with a full load, but I could soften them if it was too much of an issue.....

I think it's a good compromise combo and many other forum members have paired the Eibachs with the Koni dampers - you would just need to buy the part number for your model and year (i.e. by engine weight).

Be prepared for lots of waxing and claybarring LOL! It's gonna take some work keeping your lovely white car looking mint![:D]

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for your 2p. Much appreciated especially since your car is used for domestic duties too. I started by considering Eibachs and then got swayed when I saw the Konis. Is there much to choose between them?

As for your observation about my white car, you are soooo right. It has been bad enough with the green Mondeo I've been driving for the past few months let alone my Golf dirt magnet. At least if I keep it waxed the muck comes off more easily. Anyway, it's too late now. I dropped it off at the port this afternoon and now I've got 2 weeks to wonder/worry whether it will get damaged in transit.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Thanks for your 2p. [:)]

Is there much to choose between them?
Sorry I have nothing to compare against other than it seems a popular combination used by tuners as well as individuals. Probably nothing in it though!

James

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
James, just came across this comment in a thread on Vortex. Thought you might be interested.

They are more sporting than the Eibach kits. We sell both, and the Koni kits are the better deal, as well as being more in tune with what we as enthusiasts are likely to use.

Here's the thread http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2364522

Think I'm coming back around to the Eibachs myself.

Chris

1 - 20 of 23 Posts