Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking for some feedback on fitting some 18" RS4s on my mkiv gti. Really like the look of them but dont want to go make any modifications or sacrafice the ride quality.Would they be ok or should I maybe think of 17".

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
i would say they are a little worse i've got 18's but 215/35/18 which are basically small strips of rubber put round the wheel which people pretend is a tyre but there is no give in them

most people go for 225 40 18 which is a lot better i would imagine

·
Retired
1,224 Posts
I've got 18's with 225 40 18. Have to say I much prefer the ride
but I like it a little harsher [:p] Mine is also lowered 40mm to
it sticks to the road when going round corners too weeeeee [:D]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dont mind it being a little bit harsher, once its not to bad. As long as I dont hear anything bad think ill go ahead and stick then on. Can you get 225 45 18. If so so do you reckon they be any better, or would they just look rubbish??

Cheers guys

·
Registered
794 Posts
I had 16" monty IIs and last month put 18" 225/40/18 RS4 on and its alittle harder but nothing bad at all.

Quick question whilst im here...

Looking at the pics of an Anni with 18" BBS rims and my RS4 rims, they both our 225/40/18 I take it?

But the anni rims look smaller and dont stick out so much ..How come or is this my eyes?

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Dont mind it being a little bit harsher, once its not to bad. As long as I dont hear anything bad think ill go ahead and stick then on. Can you get 225 45 18. If so so do you reckon they be any better, or would they just look rubbish??

Cheers guys
If you put on 225/45/18s you speedo not read true you need to stick to a percentage of the original tyre/wheel size.

http://miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

·
Registered
1,531 Posts

Looking at the pics of an Anni with 18" BBS rims and my RS4 rims, they both our 225/40/18 I take it?

But the anni rims look smaller and dont stick out so much ..How come or is this my eyes?
The factory anni rims are 7.5 x 18 BBS RC's. Non factory RC's, like mine are 8 x 18. In addition to this it depends on the offset (et) of your RS4's. The standard Mk4 offset is 35, the lower the offset the more the wheel sticks out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have just changed from 16" 205 Brands Hatch (I think that wont they are called 7 spoke things) to 18" 225 and the ride is maybe a wee bit harsher but so much more glued and less of that horrible tyre walk as i call it (side wall compliance).

But something else to think about that i saw in a very interesting thread is the weight of the rims - be very careful soem of the rep rims are HEAVY that murders other things including MPG and horsepower on the road - undersprung weight too aargh. The really issue according to the boys in the know is the rotating weight.

I went for super leggera's which meant that per corner the weight only went up 1kg which although not ideal is pretty good considering the increased wheel size - but even trying to keep it low looks like I lost about 3 ish mpg!![:(]

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
i would say 18's would be a bit more harsh than what ya got on there at me

and if ya thinking of going to 19's ya might wana phone ya local council and get the to repair the roads first ......lol

i feel every bump in the road ....with mine

·
Registered
794 Posts
I have just changed from 16" 205 Brands Hatch (I think that wont they are called 7 spoke things) to 18" 225 and the ride is maybe a wee bit harsher but so much more glued and less of that horrible tyre walk as i call it (side wall compliance).

But something else to think about that i saw in a very interesting thread is the weight of the rims - be very careful soem of the rep rims are HEAVY that murders other things including MPG and horsepower on the road - undersprung weight too aargh. The really issue according to the boys in the know is the rotating weight.

I went for super leggera's which meant that per corner the weight only went up 1kg which although not ideal is pretty good considering the increased wheel size - but even trying to keep it low looks like I lost about 3 ish mpg!![:(]
So a set of REP RS4 will kill the MPG?

Also what does undersprung weight mean?

Will that effect handling and ride??

·
Registered
794 Posts

The factory anni rims are 7.5 x 18 BBS RC's. Non factory RC's, like mine are 8 x 18. In addition to this it depends on the offset (et) of your RS4's. The standard Mk4 offset is 35, the lower the offset the more the wheel sticks out.
The offset of my RS4 rims say 35 so is that gonna stick out more than 45?

The anni rims are 7.5 and the RS4 8 then?

Meaning it sticks out even more ?

Would this cause more under steer?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yeah in one of the threads i followed there were some nasty drops in MPG quoted and the was a link to an article where a performance mag had fitted big rims and brakes and even after engine modification the braking and accelleration was POORER AAAGH. Then the boffins had their say - its about rotational inertia! I would think seriously about reps - that was what i had planned till i was saved by the mkiv hero's!! ended up with Oz.

POPE1 in this thread " Request weigh your wheels" inserted a link that gives about 10,000 wheel types and sizes and more importantly their weights. This thread is well worth looking through as there are a number of good points that will help avoid BIG mistakes.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
The offset of my RS4 rims say 35 so is that gonna stick out more than 45?

The anni rims are 7.5 and the RS4 8 then?

Meaning it sticks out even more ?

Would this cause more under steer?
If you put on rims that stick out more, chassis balance should stay about the same, as the track widening is the same amount for front and rear, but you'll get more torque steer with wheels that are wider and stick out more - basically when you boot it, especially on uneven surfaces, your steering wheel will snap back at you and you have to pull it back in line.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Ive got 225/40/18's on my r32 wheels. Every pothole feels really harsh and you end up swerving around them. Cornering/motorway speeds are all improved as the car feels sturdier.

·
Registered
252 Posts

So a set of REP RS4 will kill the MPG?

Also what does undersprung weight mean?

Will that effect handling and ride??
I've just bought some RS4 reps (225/40/18) and I can't believe how much they have slowed down my car - I might not have bought them if I knew it was going to be this bad. I have to work it harder, so it's affecting my MPG...the ride isn't that much harder though. I'm still pleased with them because they look really nice and it handles much better. I'll just have to get the car chipped to compensate sometime. [:)]

·
Registered
40 Posts
been looking at buying a set of RS4 replicas or the BBS LM reps....but think i'll reconsider after reading some of these threads

what weight of wheel is classed as heavy?[:mad:]...and what is classed as light weight?[<:eek:)]

cheers

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Ive got 225/40/18's on my r32 wheels. Every pothole feels really harsh and you end up swerving around them....
Would that partially be to do with the fact that the R32's come with H&R suspension as standard, which is suspose to be v.hard...???

Just wondering how different suspension makes will affect 'road feel'...

Luke

1 - 19 of 19 Posts