Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Fantastic job there. Hit a kerb this week due to an idiot pulling out of a side road and would rather have a kerbed wheel on a company car than a smashed motor, so interested to see how you did it.

What paint did you use and also do VW do alloy wheel silver touch up kits????????????????????

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Quote: posted by S1R SS on 13/08/2004 20:51:36

I think the paint on the wheels is just standard vw silver (either reflex or satin??)

Reflex (LA7W) I believe.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cheers for the comments peeps.

I Picked the wheels up at a fair price knowing that they would need a refurb. Though tatty and curb damaged they were not buckled[8D]

I originally intended to get them professionally refurbished but decided to have a go my self. If i farked them up i could always get them done professionally later[!]

I had a aerosol colour matched at Autopaints International- cost about ?12 but theres enough to do the four wheels. The Colour is actually called BBS silver and has a high metal content(they really sparkle in the sun) I also bought the lacquer from autopaints (bout?3.50) Primer cost about ?4 for a 500ml can.

Anyways heres what i did......

1/ Throughly clean the wheels with alloy wheel cleaner to remove any brake dust

Posted Image

2/ Rub down with fine wet n dry (used wet)

3/ Fill scratches using Isopon P38 and smooth off with wet n dry (used wet)

4/ Apply 3 layers of Hycote acrylic primer Rubbing smooth between coats.

Posted Image

Posted Image

5/ APPLY 3 COATS OF COLOUR.

Posted Image

6/ APPLY 3 COATS OF LACQUER.

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
646 Posts
Thanks for that, also regarding the paint code. I am so impressed how you have got the gouges out invisbly.

YOu should open a wheel refinishing franchise [:D]

·
Registered
59 Posts
So how did you remove all the gouges and scrapes of the surface? did you use some sort of filler, or did the primer just fill in the imperfections?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote: posted by TigerStyle on 14/08/2004 12:24:46

So how did you remove all the gouges and scrapes of the surface? did you use some sort of filler, or did the primer just fill in the imperfections?

Isopon P38 filler. Apparently you can buy filler that has metal content!!! but ive never had problems with P38 in the past[:D]

1 - 20 of 44 Posts