Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well got some time off round crimbo so should start the DIY again really.

Can anyone help me though. At the moment I have a white, glossed staircase thing (banister and rails). The hall is going to be done in a red and cream colour (red / terracota on 2 walls, rest a nice creamy colour). To compliment this, would like a wood effect bansiter and rail.

I've seen products around that give a wood effect, I even used one ages and ages ago. Anyone know what this is called and how it lasts? The finish when I used one about 7 years ago was good, but I don't know if it lasted. Now I can't find anything without going 20 mils down the road to have a look on the shelves, wanted to find something on the net to see what I wanted first.

I've searched the ronseal site but can't find anything. All I know is that it came in 2 tins, one light brown colour primer and then like a varnish which you brushed the wood effect on with.

Any good? I don't want to have to strip it down as I don't think the wood will be any good underneath, i.e. not a nice effect wood.

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
To be honest mate, I wouldn't go down that route. I work in that industry and it was "very 7 years ago". If you want to get back to wood, the best advice is to put the work in and strip it back in my honest opinion.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was it? I dunno, all I know is I want a wooden banister and not gloss white! Suppose I could use a different colour, but just like the wood effect and this was the one and only way I knew I could do it easily.

Stripping on a staircase with spindles etc would be hard work am I right?!

White gloss is quite nice! [:p][:$]

·
Old School UkMkivs Member
2,166 Posts
I second that. Mine was painted when i moved in and I stripped it back the handrail and uprights to bare wood with a detail sander and a dremmel type tool.

I repainted the uprights in the end for the look I wanted but the handrail was left stripped, looks great now. Its like two tone where they've used two different types of wood. Added a few coats of furniture wax to it and am well pleased with the results.

I'd spend the time sanding it down or stripping it with a heat gun.

There's no substitute for real wood.

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
Yeh, stripping spindles is going to be a bit of a nightmare. I think the product you used is the wood effect paint that came with a little tool that you rolled onto the second coat. It basically drags the paint off, showing the first coat underneath and giving a grain effect. I'm just looking but can't find any reference to it.

I've got some sites you can check if you want?

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeh, stripping spindles is going to be a bit of a nightmare. I think the product you used is the wood effect paint that came with a little tool that you rolled onto the second coat. It basically drags the paint off, showing the first coat underneath and giving a grain effect. I'm just looking but can't find any reference to it.

I've got some sites you can check if you want?
That's the stuff, but based on comments, I probably wouldn't go for it now.

With this stuff, primer was whatever colour you took, say oak or pine, and then you had a thick varnish type jelly stuff which you painted on with a paintbrush and then after 2 mins, made stroke effects with the brush. I got to say, it actually looked ok, I was quite impressed by it, but I don't know how it lasted, or if it chipped off or anything.

I think I will leave it and maybe go for a different coloured oil based paint when I finished the walls. See what might go. All the wood in this house is gloss or satin white (satin if I got round to it as I simply don't like gloss). So just was looking for a bit of a change.

I got half way through the DIY in this place, went back to work after a couple of weeks off when I moved in and have kinda given up! So really need to get back to it as the hallways was a tester paint area and still has the same 'effect'! [:p]

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I'm doing the same Graham, handrail and spindles, mine are gloss white but a bit tatty looking. Ive just started with the heat gun and scrapper. Done the rail in about 30 mins just need to sand it down and start the spindles. Think i'll be here all day on them as their's about 25/30 of the little buggers lol

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
I've a feeling the stuff you used is Ronseal. Like I say though, it was when paint effects were trendy - rag-rolling, stencilling etc. Go on, strip it back. It'll look good in the end and besides, from what I hear, you're always rubbing your wood at home.[:p]

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Hehe you buggers [:D]

Sat on the laptop in the lounge reading this and look over to my staircase which is gloss white, think mmmmm would look really nice back to wood effect and make the fatal mistake of mentioning it to the wife...

Where did i put that heat gun.....[:cool:]

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
Yeh, scumble is used in paint effects. I think you can use it for graining.

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
think mmmmm would look really nice back to wood effect and make the fatal mistake of mentioning it to the wife...
tut tut.......Schoolboy error

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
think mmmmm would look really nice back to wood effect and make the fatal mistake of mentioning it to the wife...
tut tut.......Schoolboy error
I know, i know....[/hangs head in shame] [:p]

Gonna make up for it and mention how great a superchips remap will be to her, will it have the same effect though....lol [:D]

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well my DIY book (readers digest, brilliant book!) says that as a beginner I should use chemical paint stripper.

There isnt that much to strip, its a half staircase thing with a banister that obviously goes all the way down.

I suppose the worst thing that happens is I find the wood is crap underneath and I re-paint. Hmmm, must say, I'm tempted. I don't have a heat gun, so chemical's would probably be cheaper anyway.

Might go shopping later on, worst time to go shopping but ahh well.

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
Well my DIY book (readers digest, brilliant book!) says that as a beginner I should use chemical paint stripper.

There isnt that much to strip, its a half staircase thing with a banister that obviously goes all the way down.

I suppose the worst thing that happens is I find the wood is crap underneath and I re-paint. Hmmm, must say, I'm tempted. I don't have a heat gun, so chemical's would probably be cheaper anyway.

Might go shopping later on, worst time to go shopping but ahh well.
Heat guns aren't too expensive and it's a nice toy too!!!! If you get one, don't do what I did...I decided to strip the window sills in the kitchen to take it back to bare wood. I thought it was odd that the "wood" started to melt...turned out the window sill was in fact plastic [:$]

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes but I'm as tight as a knats bumhole and poor [:p]

What would people suggest, chemical or heat gun? Heat gun would certainly make it more interesting, until the fire starts. The rail though is ataached to the plasterboard, which it why I thought chemicals may be a little wiser.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I had the same problem when I moved into my current house. I couldn't face the prospect of stripping loads of spindles so ripped the whole lot out and replaced it with hardwood spindles, rails and posts followed by a couple of coats of clear varnish.
Job done and looks superb.

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
I'd use some wire wool, coarse then a fine one to get a nice finish if you're sanding it.

I've only used Nitromors before and it's not nice stuff to use (expensive too). You can get more user-friendly products now though. You'll need to clean the wood afterwards to neutralize the chemicals before painting.

Replacing the spindles is a good idea but you'll still need to strip the staircase and rail (?)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts