Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After getting a number of quotes and checking the bank balance my only option is to sort out my head gasket and water pump myself.

I have been reading various posts on this forum to build a picture of what parts I will need to get the job done as follows.

Head gasket (obvious- but not sure which one until I remove the old one)

Water pump (metal impeller type)

Cambelt, tensioner etc

Stretch bolts for head and engine mount

Various special tools for locking stuff. I have found:

Injection Pump Locking Pin - OEM 3359 T20102

Tensioner Locking Tool - OEM T10008 310-084 23-0058

Crankshaft Locking Tool - OEM T1005

The above 3 tools can be bought as a set from http://www.stockwelltools.co.uk/product.php/site/froogle/sn/TCN3978

Do I need any other tools or can I get away with the ones I have listed? Also my Haynes manual covers every engine apart from the PD engines. I have looked for one that does but no joy. My car is a 2001 Bora 115PD 6 speed Sport, engine code AJM. If anyone has a Haynes manual that covers this engine can you let me know what the ISBN number is please?

I have looked everywhere for a head gasket replacement guide but can't find one so any advice or information will be greatly appreciated as this is one job I am not looking forward to.

All the best and happy new year everyone.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Well i almost did a head gasket (actually got diff engine) but i am no expert at it. for the head not many special tools other than torque wrench and some sense as long as there in no damage to the mating faces (can look/search for pics of this as it is difficult to tell). I have torque settings and some bits of manuals that i used with a bit of haynes to do this.

The timing belt and water pump will need :

1)a way of jacking front or pref whole car up (i used van axal stands)

2) a way of supporting engine as you will nee to remove drivers side engine mounts ( i used big old school trolley jack and wood n bits to protect bottom of engine)

3) some sense.

I could not find any information either about AJM engine either so use a collection of different manuals. Even then there was nothing covering the tensioner which seems to be the most important bit.

I found on the old interweb some (ukmkiv) post and a youtube video which is what i used ( allong with a bit of chin rubbing) for the tensioner.

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/176617.aspx

the video is in hungarian but watch the tensioner bit and how it should be set up it is exactly the same as the tensioner i got from vw.

On a side not what are you symptoms? mine were car runs fine till you go over 50mph ish then it dumped all the coolant and overheats. For me it was an injector that crumpled and disintergrated and i micro fissure that was somewhere down the injector hole which when the car was pushed a bit would let exhaust (i think?) into the coolant system. I would have done a head change but the F$£%$$ that sold me the car had hand sanded the top of the block in what i can only imagine was a crap attempt to do a head gasket.. that along with the other problems = new engine easier.

good luck and email me if ya want my other bits of manuals emailed to ya.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HI Mate, thanks for the reply. When I get my car up to motorway speeds it dumps all of its coolant out of the expansion bottle overflow and then the STOP light comes on. I changed the expansion bottle and cap for main dealer jobbies but that didn't improve things. As long as I pootled along at 65mph everything was fine and the coolant would stay put but I did notice that even when cold i.e. first thing in the morning the cooling system was pressurised and would release the pressure when I removed the expansion bottle cap. Recently I have noticed the heater would occasionally blow cold air and seems to be getting worse. If I am stopped in traffic the heater blows cold until I rev the engine. I know this must be the water pump but I also expect the head gasket because the cooling system is being pressurised to the point of tossing out it's fluid. About a month ago I took the top hose off the expansion bottle to see if there was any flow during tickover (test if the pump was doing it's job) and I could see fluid being pumped that was full of air. Instead of coolant looking like weak Ribena it looked like strawberry milk so air was getting into the system somewhere. I would love to think it was just a faulty water pump but I can't see it somehow.

Thanks for the links you posted. The guide for changing the timing belt is spot on. I did do a search on here for head gasket and over heating problems but was inundated with hits so I missed this one.

I will PM you my email address as I would like to take you up on your offer of other manual bits.

Cheers amd many thanks

Paul

·
Registered
184 Posts
No worries. Sounds exactly like mine. Hope it is the gasket and not the head.

One thing that i wish i had tried before stripping the engine was to try replacing the cracked injector (it was only discovered later when stripping the head) and see if that alone fixed it...

If you fancy trying that on your way to the head gasket I still have 3 injectors left from the AJM engine (infact i have the whole thing under my stairs) if you find a cracked one and wish to try a replacement just email me.

I have a manual exert from the bentley that covers pd injectors too.

Good luck,

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi mate, I'm embarrassed to admit it but it has beaten me. I've just got back in having buggered about for 2 days. It started snowing today and I was led in it getting wetter and colder all afternoon so I decided to call it quits.
I'm not sure what I am going to do now.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Where you stuck. On the HG or are you on timing belt?

I found the bolts holding the ancillery belt pulley onto the crank were rounded inside.

took me 2 days. Managed to undo them with cold chisel in the end.

The cold weather make it really nasty working outside doesn't it.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I am going to do the head gasket on my golf as I need to change the cylinder head due to the camshaft wearing again. the only part i dont fancy is putting the timing belt back on.

Any pointers would be welcome

M

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Where you stuck. On the HG or are you on timing belt?

I found the bolts holding the ancillary belt pulley onto the crank were rounded inside.

took me 2 days. Managed to undo them with cold chisel in the end.

The cold weather make it really nasty working outside doesn't it.
I had all sorts of fun and games but along with the weather it was the aircon compressor that did it for me. The pipes leading from the compressor were intertwined with the power steering hoses and there was no way I could removed it and pull it to one side far enough to drop the engine. Because the engine has to be dropped and not lifted out of the car I would have needed to remove the entire front end. Easy enough to do but because the aircon unit was tangled with the power steering hoses I couldn't free everything up. Added to that my very short fuse and no patience I lost a number of tools in neighbours gardens when I launched them in a fit of rage so for everyones safety I decided to admit defeat and put the friggin car back together again.

I was talking to an ex Audi technician this evening and he reckons it is just the water pump thats causing the problems so now I don't know what to think, or do.

I give up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am going to do the head gasket on my golf as I need to change the cylinder head due to the camshaft wearing again. the only part i dont fancy is putting the timing belt back on.

Any pointers would be welcome

M
I mate, see my post above. I am totally the wrong person to be asking advice from. Sorry, but good luck and I hope all goes well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey, I've just had a thought. To find out if it is just the water pump that is causing my problems how about getting hold of a cheap second hand 12v electric pump and plumbing that into the cooling system. If the problem goes away then job done.

Or am I talking through my arse?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Moogie check the links i posted above. Also check the how to section of forum.
40k eh. That's not very good is it.
7builder. Have you checked the pipe that returns water to
The expansion tank to see if you are getting water returning (should get stronger when revving the engine)? If it is returning I don't think that will be your cause but what do I know.
When I did it I swung the front passenger side around like opening a gate from the right. Got the power steering pump suspended near headlight. Dissconnect all the clamps for ps pipes and aircon pipes. This allowed me to keep them all connected.
If you really struggling disconnect ps pipes drain and save fluid. It's not very difficult to bleed later. And if your still struggling disconnect the aircon. Itmcost me 50 quid to get mine serviced and refilled so it's not the end of the world.
I hate typing on phone!
Goodluck

·
Registered
71 Posts
hey all just been reading this thread and is making me think about doing my head gasket as having the same rough problems dumping all the coolant at above 70mph had a sniff test done and defo head gasket, just wondering how much of an engineer you have to be to do this job. i would say i know my head round a spanner being a helicopter engineer but wondering if there are any handy to have tools?

any help would be good getting pissed with this snag now

·
NooNoo
9,476 Posts
Blimey thread ressurection!

Always keen to help the DIY mech but I can't this time, sorry.

Bump.

[:)]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts