Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.

Ive been reading this great forum for ages so i thought its about time that i posted something.

So heres my diy for a real carbon fibre centre console.

Parts needed:
1 stanley knife
1 pen
1 sheet of sticky back real carbon fibre (not the cheap vinyl effect stuff) - EBAY £10

so this is quite straightforward, first remove the HVAC panel from the car - use the knife to lever it out. next remove the cupholder - this is held in by 2 clips , one on either side. use the knife to unclip it when the flap is open. if your car has the removable wood trim then remove that too (mine didnt)

next draw around the HVAC panel onto the carbon sheet. then cut the sheet carefully with the knife. then stick on. Next measure the cupholder flap and cut the sheet to that size and stick on. then either do the same with the removeable wood side strips or just stick straight on the plain black trim.

now reassemble and your good to go!

thats all there is to it.

looks quite good, not too flash. not sure whether to do the OBDII cover or not as you can hardly notice it

( all this is so straight forward that theres on need for a diy but i thought i might be useful for some1)

Nilesh

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didnt do the driver door handle as i dont think it would have looked good stuck on. I did however sand it down to get rid of all the scratches( you can just about see in the photo). Almost looks like new now![:D]

·
Registered
15 Posts
Arrrr I got that problem myself. Was going to respray it black again but no the matt finesh you normally get as I dont want it rubbing off again. hmmmm...When you cut the carbon, did you 'wrap' it round the parts? or just neatly cut to it fits? Was thinking 'wrapping' the carbon fibre around the driver door handle inbetween the buttons could work. I guess [:^)]

·
Registered
60 Posts
Interesting...i was looking at some grab handels on e-bay the other day that had been covered in CF and was not sure if the centre console would look any good. After seeing this i might add it to the list of things i wanna do. Looks simple enough even for a novice like me [:)]

·
Registered
81 Posts
Looks great, I was thinking of doing something with the woodgrain so I shall be doing this asap!

EDIT: don't suppose you recommend a product to use on ebay do you?

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Very nicely done! looks smart!

You cant get 'real' carbon fibre for a tenner im afraid so it must have been mis-advertised to increase sales... but looks as gd as real thing, i wouldnt complain for that price!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts