Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I was wondering if you could help me. I have recently purchased a 1999 Volkswagen Golf GTi 1.8 20v Turbo from a local car dealer. Whilst checking the fluid and oil levels I discovered this rather strange and mysterious cable near my "airfilter box". On one end of this cable is a 2A fuse plugged into what looks like a plug and then there is a blue and red cable that "disappears" somewhere into the passenger side of the car. I've taken some pictures to show what I have tried to describe.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

So, what is it?

What does it do?

And is it supposed to be connected to anything?

Thank you for your help and any advice you have to offer.[:)]

John

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Could be for a cd changer? do you have one? I wouldve thought it would need a higher fuse than that. Notice any thing strange on your car that isnt factory?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Trollgeddon

Thanks for the reply. [:)]

The car appears to be factory spec, there was no CD changer in it, however there clearly WAS a CD changer at some stage as the mounting bracket is in the boot along with the cable with the blue connector on the back (which plugs into the Gamma head unit), oh and I found the CD changer cassette in with the spare wheel.

So, would this strange cable in the engine bay be something to do with having a CD changer in the boot?

Since I purchased the car I have removed the original head unit (Gamma) and replaced with my own Kenwood MP3/WMA player using an Audioleads adaptor so in future I could plonk the original Gamma back in.

Thanks.

John

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
IF I remember ill have a look at mine tomo, also a 1.8T that has a cd changer. But I recentley changed the air filter and I dont remember seeing anything like that...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Simon

Thanks for your reply. I look forward to hearing what you have to say.

Thanks

John

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
That looks like an aftermarket Cd changer wiring kit... bit of a botch job if you ask me.. also my mate done the same in his golf and his fuse was only 1.5 amp iirc. so 2amps would be ok s'pose.. check in your boot for any wiring.. or even take out your glove-box (5 min job if you know what your doing and if you've got the torx screwdriver iirc its a T20 or T25 or a T25 bit can't remember actually lol) then check behind there to see if the wire is going through and have a look at the existing loom to see if its been tampered with if so im 99% sure that your car in one point of its life has had a aftermarket stereo installed the cow boy way [;)]

Sat [y]

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Simon

Thanks for your informative posts and useful pictures. Simon your engine bay looks superb [H]. What do you use to clean it?

Hi Satman

Thanks for the advice, the only cable I have in the rear of my car is the "square" blue VW one and the VW mounting bracket is still there. I will have to put my thinking cap on and attempt to find where this cable goes to!

Thank you all for your help.[:D]

John

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Simon your engine bay looks superb [H]. What do you use to clean it?
AGREED! what do you use!!!!??

jammy
LOL its not that clean, but not as dirty as some peoples [:cool:][;)] I need to do it properly I got some AG machine cleaner to try and some new radiator brushes [:p] But it was just a old mf used to wipe over the the bits is what I used. I did recentley take the engine cover and that little curved cover with holes in at the bottom off washed and dressed them with AG bumper car/Megs tech protectant.

I take it your engines are really DIRTY!?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Simon

Thanks once again for the reply. So, you used some Autoglym (sp) machine cleaner, does that do the trick removing old grime and what not?

I already have the Megs detailer black plastic gel stuff. [:)] I will try and get around to sorting out the mystery fuse/wire and cleaning my engine bay this weekend.

Hi Satnam

Thanks for your input, I carefully had a look at where the cable appeared to enter my car and then had a look inside my car. When I open my glovebox there is a small hole in the top right hand corner of my glovebox and also some thin slits in the back of my glove box (4 L shape slits).. I can only see this when the light comes on inside (if my headlights are on) I am going to have a pry and a poke at the weekend to see where this mystery cable connects... and then disconnect it and remove it for good!

Thank you all for your help... I think this mystery is almost solved![:D]

John

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Hi Simon

Thanks once again for the reply. So, you used some Autoglym (sp) machine cleaner, does that do the trick removing old grime and what not?

I already have the Megs detailer black plastic gel stuff. [:)] I will try and get around to sorting out the mystery fuse/wire and cleaning my engine bay this weekend.
Ive only used the AG cleaner on the bonnet latch that came up pretty well.

If you have a gander at the detailing part of this forum there will be some threads about engine cleaning and have a look at www.detailingworld.co.uk

Good luck with the wire and fuse.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you once again for your help [:D]

I have gave my engine a good clean out however I might upload pictures just because I am curious to see if everything is all standard (I hope it is) as I have noticed quite a few differences between your engine and mine [:^)]

Thanks

John

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Thank you once again for your help [:D]

I have gave my engine a good clean out however I might upload pictures just because I am curious to see if everything is all standard (I hope it is) as I have noticed quite a few differences between your engine and mine [:^)]

Thanks

John
Well ive been told that the area around my throttle body isnt standard but I cant find out what it is. So yours might be okay it just mine that different lol.

Post a piccy and we can have a butchers. [:D]

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Looks like whoever owned the car before had fitted an aftermarked guage.Does the wire just terminate in the engine bay ?
Maybe they had an oile pressure or oil temp fitted and took it out when they sold the car the wires look like they are coming
from the right area......just a thought.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts