Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, it seems I have a random disconnected pipe in my engine bay! I cant see where it connects too. Its not very long, so clearly it doesnt go far, but it probably does something pretty important. It hasnt triggered any warning lights, but i seem to have a fair bit of turbo noise at the moment, and i seem to be using a lot more fuel than usual.

Anyway, does anyone know what it is for, and where it should connect to? thnks!

Posted Image

·
Livin' by the sword
5,180 Posts
That's a vacuum pipe, and it looks like the one which should connect to the air intake somewhere. Is there a nipple near the maf where it should go?

·
Registered
915 Posts
My turbo is quite whistley? word? more worryingly have a spinning noise now lol

All the pipes have a job to do so not too sure how to tidy them up but replacing for silicone is a good idea

·
TEAM 88 MOTORSPORT
8,901 Posts
It looks like the air feed pipe that goes to the vacuum pipework it does go on the airbox. it will not cause turbo whistle...infact its that small you wont even hear it sucking air[:cool:]

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok but it is necessary then? cool, ill reattach and all will be right with the world again! thanks folks, i appreciate your help everyone.

oh, on the subject of turbo whistle, im having innotec done so ill have all the pipework checked at the same time!

·
Livin' by the sword
5,180 Posts
ok but it is necessary then?
Yes, it's necessary. And the reason it's connected to the air intake is so that it gets filtered clean air, and no muck gets into the vacuum system.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok but it is necessary then?
Yes, it's necessary. And the reason it's connected to the air intake is so that it gets filtered clean air, and no muck gets into the vacuum system.
classic cheers mate thats cool. im glad its not a matter of life and death and something that can be easily sorted!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts