Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in a bit of a difficult situation at the moment. I've clocked up around 36000 miles in 20 months with my R32 bringing it's total to 45000. These have unboubtably been the best 36000 miles ever. I simply cannot fault my R32. Some may think I'm mad for using it as an everyday car commuting nearly 90 miles a day, but I love it. I didn't see the point in spending ?21k on a drivers car to just leave it in the garage. I bought it to enjoy it. Okay, the servicing it a bit expensive and I put about ?70 of fuel into it a week but you can't complain considering the type of car it is and the size of the engine.

Anyway, I'm beginning to think that 45000 miles is quite high. As soon as it tops 50k it's going to lose even more value and probably be a bit more difficult to sell since there are so many low mileage examples around. So what should I do? Should I keep it and continue racking up the miles devaluing it further or should I sell/part-ex it and buy myself a lower mileage, more economical MkV GTI? I did consider going down the MkIV Anniversary route, but again it's a car that will lose a lot of value if I pile my daily mileage into it.

Every part of me wants to keep the R32. I've never owned a car that draws so much positive attention and is so much fun to own. However, my sensible side says it's time for it to go.

Advise please !!!

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Buying a MKV GTI now and carrying on doing those mileages per day will have the same effect on you again as your having with the R. If I were in your position, I personally, finances allowing, would have got myself a 2 grand diesel runabout. Rack up the miles and not care and it will be cheaper on the fuel, so the costs of insuring it etc would equal out in the end.

I know what you mean about using your car as it's there to be used, but if your worried about mileage, then maybe its not best to use it everyday?

If not, rack up the miles on it and sell it when you want something else. There will be plenty of people looking for high mileage R's as people want them but cannot justify the expense, and every one that I see seems to be low mileage.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The cheap runabout did cross my mind but sadly I dont have anywhere to store a second car. It would be an ideal solution.

As for being in the same position with a GTI, I'm not so sure. I've become "attached" to my R32 but I doubt I would with a GTI as it's not such a limited/special car IMHO. Therefore racking up the miles and selling it on wouldn't be so hard.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was speaking to a mate earlier and he said that I couldn't get rid of the R32 as is hasn't joined in on a group convoy to Le Mans yet. Fair point. I couldn't possibly convoy there in a hum-drum car [:D]

Maybe I'll just continue to stick my head in the sand and pretend that the miles won't make a difference. At least I'll still have an R32 that way.

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Im in a similar situation. Done 33K in 2 and a bit years,
and currently doing approx 3-400 miles/week. Fuel costs are
so high, but this car is just made for driving. Brings a smile
each and everytime i drive it.

I've thought about getting a cheap banger as a run around, or maybe
something around 2-3k just to offset some of the running costs...
Trouble is ?2-3k buys ALOT of optimax ;)

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I had similar thoughts too recently. I'm clocking up around 20k miles per year and I'm bored of having to go to the petrol station every week. I thought about an Anni TDI but feel it would be a step backwards. An A3 TDI would hit the nail on the head but I just cannot part with my R32. It's so much fun to drive like the others have said. If you do a lot of miles like us you want to do them in a car that you enjoy driving and one that is fun to drive.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Don't sell it if you like it. I really like my MKIV 4mo and have been looking around at what I would change it for and have driven New Golf GTi flew to Frankfurt to see the new R32 and Focus ST test drove DSG and Non-DSG Golf, an Impreza and a Focus to see what it was like. The conclusion seems to me that I should get a MKIV R32 as it looks nice unlike the MKV R32 IMHO, has a good quality interior compared to any current car and goes as fast as I need, I can easily put my IPOD in and it's a Volkswagen.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'm in a bit of a difficult situation at the moment. I've clocked up around 36000 miles in 20 months with my R32 bringing it's total to 45000. These have unboubtably been the best 36000 miles ever. I simply cannot fault my R32. Some may think I'm mad for using it as an everyday car commuting nearly 90 miles a day, but I love it. I didn't see the point in spending ?21k on a drivers car to just leave it in the garage. I bought it to enjoy it. Okay, the servicing it a bit expensive and I put about ?70 of fuel into it a week but you can't complain considering the type of car it is and the size of the engine.

Anyway, I'm beginning to think that 45000 miles is quite high. As soon as it tops 50k it's going to lose even more value and probably be a bit more difficult to sell since there are so many low mileage examples around. So what should I do? Should I keep it and continue racking up the miles devaluing it further or should I sell/part-ex it and buy myself a lower mileage, more economical MkV GTI? I did consider going down the MkIV Anniversary route, but again it's a car that will lose a lot of value if I pile my daily mileage into it.

Every part of me wants to keep the R32. I've never owned a car that draws so much positive attention and is so much fun to own. However, my sensible side says it's time for it to go.
I am in exactly the same boat as you, Spanner. I do a 100 mile commute every day and I'm losing vast sums of money on every car I own due to mileage-depreciation. I too have been in the situation of having to sell cars I didn't want to sell just because they were on 47k or 97k.

I tried buying an ?800 banger as a second car, but couldn't bring myself to use it for the commute when I had tastier machinery sitting in my driveway. 2 hours a day is too long to spend sitting in a cruddy tin can. The second car only ended up getting used for short trips (e.g. shopping) and so had virtually no impact on the mileage of my main one.

Unfortunately, there are only two solutions to the problem as far as I can see - Buy very low mileage cars as cheaply as you can and only keep them for 6-8 months, or get a job that's closer to home.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, since I put this post up in September, I've added another 12,000 miles onto the car. A lot less than I would have done thanks to a change to shift work. However, a 60k R32 doesn't really have great resale value, even if all the mileage is motorway. Plus, now we're changing the shift pattern back so that I'm back in the office 4 weeks out of 5, the commute is back on and I think my dilemma could be starting again. Really fancy a 350Z, but a house purchase has put the stoppers on that.

Still, I'm glad I kept the car for the trip to Le Mans.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Glad to hear you decided to keep it. At the end of the day, mk3 VR6s have taken over 200k of motorway miles no problem, and I can't see the R32 engine being any different.

When you do want to sell it, let me know. My email is [email protected]

·
Registered
184 Posts
What a dilemma!! R32's are great cars, i love them to bits but insurance is quite difficult as im only 23...

But when you wanna sell yours i might be interested so give me a shout as i have the cash waiting (in the loans department of HSBC! :).....

email: [email protected]

Cheers

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
350Z?

So mpg is not the issue then.

I say keep the R32 if you can afford the running costs and enjoy a few more years of quality motoring.

Presume if you changed for GTI it'll be R32 + cash??

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I wonder if anyone out there has converted an R to run on LPG ?

Although that won't help the mileage issue, it would keep the cost of running it down. Don't suppose you'd have much boot space left though [;)]

The other option is to just run it into the ground, it should be good for a good few miles as long as it is maintained.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Presume if you changed for GTI it'll be R32 + cash??
Yeah. I have seriously considered a GTI. In fact I was particularly jealous of yours at Combe the other week as it's the exact spec I was looking at, even the colour. However, the "+ cash" bit is going to be difficult at the moment with me spending my spare cash on the house at the moment. I'm also feeling bad for looking at yet another Golf. I'm on my 4th at the moment and haven't owned anything else !

·
Registered
392 Posts
Buy MK 3 golf diesel turbo for around 1000k and drive that every other week at the end of the day when you comlme to resell it it shouldnt of lost that much money.

Or get an A4 TDI130

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
if you dont want to sell it 'DONT'

if you cant store another car and dont want higher milage on r32 then is it possible to comute to work on a train everyday?

or maybe a train for 3 days and the r32 for 2days for a typical 5day working week, would keep slow the milage up a bit

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
I've thought about getting a cheap banger as a run around, or maybe
something around 2-3k just to offset some of the running costs...
Trouble is £2-3k buys ALOT of optimax ;)
Exactly the point I would make. The R32 is a daily car; if you still love driving it and don't want to swap, IMO you should drive it into the ground. Two sets of insurance, two sets of tax, two sets of maintenance and fuel...and £2-£3k up front to buy the second car. Why have a fantastic 3.2 litre AWD hatch in the drive and spend most of your week tooling around in a heap? Its a bit like having a Six bedroom house and only using one room so you don't mess the others up. Personally the morning and evening drive should be looked forward to if you ask me.

If you have something 'serious'; a 911 GT3, an Exige, an M3 CSL, etc etc then a second car might make sense....especially if you need to park somwhere dodgy! But IMO cars are to be driven. You will always lose money on them, might as well enjoy it rather than driving a heap for 3 years and getting £10k for your R32 rather than £8K in 2009...

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I've thought about getting a cheap banger as a run around, or maybe something around 2-3k just to offset some of the running costs... Trouble is £2-3k buys ALOT of optimax ;)
Exactly the point I would make. The R32 is a daily car; if you still love driving it and don't want to swap, IMO you should drive it into the ground. Two sets of insurance, two sets of tax, two sets of maintenance and fuel...and £2-£3k up front to buy the second car. Why have a fantastic 3.2 litre AWD hatch in the drive and spend most of your week tooling around in a heap? Its a bit like having a Six bedroom house and only using one room so you don't mess the others up. Personally the morning and evening drive should be looked forward to if you ask me.

If you have something 'serious'; a 911 GT3, an Exige, an M3 CSL, etc etc then a second car might make sense....especially if you need to park somwhere dodgy! But IMO cars are to be driven. You will always lose money on them, might as well enjoy it rather than driving a heap for 3 years and getting £10k for your R32 rather than £8K in 2009...
again another good point, drive it into the ground, then you can feel proud that you saw the entire life of the r32.

thats what im planning to do with my next mk4, getting tdi so will be modding it and looking to keep it for a long long time

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Many months down the line from my original post I am starting to come around to this way of thinking. Like you say, if I sell it now I'd have lost a shed load of money in a short period of time. If I keep it, the loss should hurt so much.

Think I was suffering from "shiney new thing" syndrome and while a new car would be nice I love the R32. Plus I've just stuck 4 new Eagle F1s, 4 redstuff pads and am saving up to replace the shoddy discs. With new tyres, that's another 22k miles at least :)

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
If you can afford to run the car, fuel it, maintain it and insure it, then why not keep it. Don't worry about the mileage, a high miler Golf will always sell as long as it is maintained properly and has FSH. If you can afford to cover the mileage you are in a car you love, then why buy a weekly runabout, run that too, and drive it knowing you want to be and can be in the R32?

As for buying say a NEW mk5 diesel, taking into account the depreciation on that offset again the lesser running costs, it would probably work out similar to running your current R32 anyway over a reasonable period of time?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts