Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

My job is taking me too South Africa from October until Christmas time! Damn!

I have decided to take up photography as a hobby as I wont have my car [:(] whilst I am there and it was suggested to me to get a SLR camera to get some really stunning pictures.

Can anyone advise a good beginner SLR camera?

Thanks

Guy

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I would recommend any of the Canon EOS digitals, I have had an EOS 300D
and currently have an EOS 20D. Both are pukka! The EOS 350D is also a
fantastic camera, I have used on on test a little while back.

The 300D can be picked up for a reasonable price now too. Essex Escy on here has a 350D and is well chuffed with that too!

At the end of the day the deciding factor will be budget, I have always
used Canon cameras so the EOS 20D was a natural progression for me!

Awesome cameras to learn with too.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
budget is the key.

i had the EOS 300D........fantastic camera. well worth the ?700.

but then the EOS 350D dawned........and i had to get it

which is the one i've now got. well worth ?750.

put it this way. decide on a budget, and shop to that.

i prefer the 350D over the 300D.

BUT, the 300D can now be picked up quite reasonably. the difference isn't THAT great, especially for the beginner. And the only reason i noticed the difference is that i upgraded. but NOTHING wrong with the 300D.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Another vote for the Canon EOS range. The 300D I bought has blown me away since the day I bought it [:)]

If you can afford a better one, the 20D is excellent, or if you want
something more compact the 350D (the replacement to the 300D) will do
the job.

I've got a 18-55mm, 80-300mm and this morning I picked up an old 35-70mm Mk1..... although I ripped it to pieces [:p]

There's a neat little trick with certain older lenses (35-70, 28-80,
etc) you can remove the front element and it turns the lense into a
very cheap macro! Of course its not better than a real maco, but for
?20-30 you can't go wrong [:)] Especially seeing as a decent macro will
set you back 10-15x that much!

http://www.gttdi.com/duo.jpg

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Super! Thanks very much all!

Canon EOS are the dogs danglies then?!

What lens size is a good standard? Only really want one to start with.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Another vote for the Canon EOS range. The 300D I bought has blown me away since the day I bought it [:)]

If you can afford a better one, the 20D is excellent, or if you want something more compact the 350D (the replacement to the 300D) will do the job.

I've got a 18-55mm, 80-300mm and this morning I picked up an old 35-70mm Mk1..... although I ripped it to pieces [:p]

There's a neat little trick with certain older lenses (35-70, 28-80, etc) you can remove the front element and it turns the lense into a very cheap macro! Of course its not better than a real maco, but for ?20-30 you can't go wrong [:)] Especially seeing as a decent macro will set you back 10-15x that much!

http://www.gttdi.com/duo.jpg
the EOS 350D isn't just smaller than the 300, its a far better camera.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
The Canon 300 and 350 are excellent DSLRs. You may also want to consider the Nikon D50 and Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D. All will produce exceptional quality images but to get a stunning picture is more of an artistic issue, I think. Some of the best photos are taken with simple cameras.

Take a look at this site, http://www.nickturpin.com/, Nick takes a lot of photos with compact point-and-shoot style cameras, but he has an excellent skill for capturing a moment. Incidentally, he has done a fair amount of press photography for VW.

·
Registered
740 Posts
the EOS 350D isn't just smaller than the 300, its a far better camera.
I agree, just didn't want to go into too much detail [;)] Its 8mpx over
the 300D's 6.3mpx, although its not the same 8mpx censor thats used in
the 20D though. Its got a better buffer and the latest DIGIC processor
as well. It's a fantastic camera, but for me I can't justify upgrading
from the 300D when it does the job for me!

I only bought it a few months ago, I won't be changing mine for a good few years yet [:)]

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I have had the Canon EOS 20 D since December. I think it is a fantastic camera.

If you do buy a new one go for the body only and AVOID THE 18-55 standard lens like the plague. The results from this lens are poor.

My current set up is the 10-22, 17-85 and the 75 300 canon lenses. I had a go last week with the 100-400 IS L lens .......I am considering this soon[H]

I also have the 580ex flash and 2x 1gb cf cards.

There are a few results here http://www.pbase.com/caeclyd/blaenau_ffestiniog

ps

go for the 20d you will not regret it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi

Also look at the Nikon D70/D70s DLSR, I have just purchased one and its fantastic. They do retail quite high, but if you are lucky (like me) you could pick one up cheap. I managed to get mine for ?300 with a lens, which i was more than happy with. Brand new too ;)

Have a look around currys/dixons/pc world, as the D70 has gone end-of-line and so can be reduced a fair bit.

Otherwise, the 350D is fantastic too.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Feeling all excited as I bought the following today;

• Canon EOS 350d
  • Canon EF-S 17-85 USM IS lens
  • Sandisk 1GB Extreme III card

Can't wait to try it out. Thanks to NikB and particularly Aric for their help with my questions.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Excellent choice!

You have the fastest CF card in the world there buddy, I have one and they're awesome!soooooooooo fast!

Pukka camera too!

Enjoy it hope you have as much fun with an EOS as I have.........

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Excellent choice!
You have the fastest CF card in the world there buddy, I have one and they're awesome!soooooooooo fast!
I have Aric to thank for the card advice - Jessops had lined me up with a Sandisk Ultra II for similar money, when I specified this one they said they were like gold dust - it just so happened they had one in today, their first in stock, and it had been earmarked for an employee.......[;)]

I decided to buy the fancy lens as you could see the difference the additional budget made to the quality. It is USM, and has image stabilisation which I appreciate is not essential for this size, but hey. I'll buy a 75-300mm when I liberate some more budget!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I ended up going for the 350D, looks and feels really smart!

Looking for an upgraded memory card. Want to be taking roughly 150 pics before sending them to computer. What size CF card will i need?

The lense is a good starter lense but what should i look out for, for a bit more ZOOOOOOOOOOM?

Thanks all,

Guy

1 - 20 of 24 Posts