Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone noticed that a certain brand makes their car run better?

I am convinced that the regular BP diesel makes the engine much less clattery and noisey when its cold. I really do think it is better cos I tried some of the others back to back with it and the engine sounds really harsh when cold.

Not tried the BP Ultimate diesel cos I see that as a con but has anyone used that and noticed any difference.

I used to use Shell and nothing else but now use BP unless I can't find one[:O]

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
It?s a subject of hot debate here. I believe that there is a great difference between the fuels. Supermarket fuels are by far and away the worst to use, better is BP, Shell and Texaco. The best IMHO is BP Ultimate diesel and for petrol, Shell Optimax.

My diesel has been running for the last 10 or so tankfulls of BP Ultimate diesel ? I have noticed that there is hardly any smoke on hard acceleration, and much improved throttle response. Tried Tesco diesel last weekend and noticed within around 100 miles a more sluggish response and lower mpg?s. That said BP is usually 91 ppl and Tesco was 84.9 less 5ppl due to the voucher at the checkout.

BP 91.9 x 55 = ?50.54

Tesco 79.9 x 55 = ?43.94

Can I put up with Tescos in the long run? Probably not [:(]

·
Registered
565 Posts
I started on BP ultimate diesel and didn't think much of it (car was only 8K mile, so not still easing off).

Started using Shell and thought it was OK.

Have gone back to BP Ultimate last 2 tankfulls and my mpg has gone up and i think this time round it's better (16K miles)

·
Registered
728 Posts
I have found Texaco or BP Ultimate the best and BY FAR THE WORST Sainsbuy's City Diesel.

I get much excesisive smoking not to mention a much louder engine with Sainsbuy's. Maybe just me???

·
Registered
316 Posts
i know it aint Diesel but i use Sainsburys "Super" unleaded in my 1.4 cos its only 2p more than the regular stuff (which i know is pure crap) and ive noticed better MPG but not much power difference.

sayin that....

i dont think there was any power to start with! [:eek:)][B)]

·
Registered
273 Posts
BP Ultimate, I have to say I noticed a difference, not greatly but throttle response as previously noted is increased.

I just don't justify paying that bit more for it, fuel is stupid at the moment, normal diesel will do for the mean time.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Ches,

The best suggestion I can give is for you to run your tank down to 1/4 and then fill with BP. Repeat again and then see how you go. I don't know how many miles you have covered so far, but the idea is that BP will give your car a clean out, and then you should start to see gains in performance.

People who switch back to cheapo remark that there is then "no difference" between the fuels. I believe that it can be a gradual deterioration in performance until you start filling up with a higher grade again.

I understand that the Shell Diesel Extra is similar and also that Esso will launch a new diesel under the "energy" brand that will be around 4ppl more expensive than the regular diesel.

Good luck!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bought the car less than 2 years ago with 11k on it and we now have 47k so its well run in.

Doesn't sound too much but we were in New Zealand for 8 months of that[:O] Managing to get good mpg from it, prob average about mid to high 50's or over 60 if its on a long run out of town.

Need to get it booked in for a service - again!! Running out of numpty's to use now[:D]

·
Registered
3 Posts
I only use BP Ultimate in my TDI 130 40000miles.

I tried 1 tank of shell ordinary diesel once and it felt like their was a different engine in my car.

I thought maybe I was imagining it but when I filled up with BP Ult again, it was quieter, smoother and more powerful, it was so much nicer to drive.

theirs no way I'd use anything else now, unless I have to.

I could'nt find the Shell Diesel Extra, but might try that if i find it.

I don't know if it affects the mpg as I vary my driving style quite a bit.

·
Registered
638 Posts
LOL, I use village garage diesel as I have an account with them. LOl. I do notice the difference between that and BP Ultimate when I have to fill up elsewhere.

·
Registered
742 Posts
hhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

might have to start trying bp ult after everones remarks i generally go to shell and put their regular diesel in

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a Bora TDI 110 and did a test recently! well by accident anyway![:I]

I had been using the fuel at my local Morrison's for a while and I had thought I had noticed a difference in performance lately and I was only averaging 47mpg. Anyway while in a rush one morning I set off up the motorway to work and I realise I'd forgotten fill up and the warning light had come on! so I nipped off the motorway at J41 M1 and went to fill up at the BP station. Being in a rush I started to fill up and then notice it was BP Ultimate that I putting in. As I was already running late I carried on filling up, although I wasn't happy with the price[:O]. I then carried on up the motorways until I got to the bottom of the M606 going up to towards Bradford. Well it's like a race track getting onto the M606 on a morning and well the car took of like an animal[:D]! in fact I thought the car was over fuelling or something at first and expected a large bang any second.This never happened so I carried on to work and checked the average on arrival and despite my mad episode all the way up M606 it was showing 53mpg! Over the next few days I drove with my sensible head on and managed 57mpg![8)]

I've since gone back to BP regular and averaged 53mpg for the same journey.

I was surprised to say the least! Although I'm back on the BP regular it was more fun on the Ultimate!!!!!!!!

If I didn't travel 300-400 miles a week I would defiantly use the Ultimate!

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
There's another thread floating about here about diesel fuel. About Global BioDiesel. It's got 5% of something different in it. Apparently it makes the car smoother and gives better fuel economy (up to 1%!! that's about an extra 6miles for me!) I've just used a few tanks of it and I can't say I saw much difference - the only thing being that the car accellerated more smoothly from0-30ish. Apart from that, that's it. Was a bit disappointed really, if you read the website it sounds like it's going to revolutionise the way we use diesel - http://www.greenergy.co.uk/products/globaldiesel/UK_forecourt_map.html

·
Registered
176 Posts
its the 20p a litre stuff they use for tractors, same as normal diesel just has red dye in it. no tax on it cos only for agricultural use.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts