Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Mine isn't too bad.

Although I have a full size matching Alloy wheel in the boot, [:D] but no securing pin that is long enough[:S] So I get a bit of noise from that !

Is a stereo fix possible ?[;)]

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a Golf PD130 and I it would seem I have seasonal rattles, like in the Winter I get more, or I could be wrong and it could be just a coincidence. My main rattles at present are from the Door and also around the centre console area (near the Radio). Sometimes I just feel like superglueing all that area to stop the rattles.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I have a Golf PD130 and I it would seem I have seasonal rattles, like in the Winter I get more, or I could be wrong and it could be just a coincidence. My main rattles at present are from the Door and also around the centre console area (near the Radio). Sometimes I just feel like superglueing all that area to stop the rattles.
I would think it is no coincidence that you have more rattles in the winter.

Most , if not all, of the trim in that area is plastic, which would be a lot more brittle and generally less flexible when cold, when things get a bit warmer (summer time) then things will flex and give a bit more rather than resonate.

If you want the ultimate rattle, change your dog bone engine mount to a powerflex unit,...the first time I started the engine after fitting I thought the engine was going to pop out of the bonnet, for the first 1000 miles (4 weeks in my case) it was unbearable, made the whole interior vibrate, but it is so much better now, in fact I don't notice it.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep the handbrake button is the one that's doing my head at the moment,or sometimes the buttons on the climate control unit rattle,and the speaker on the passenger side door,the one next to the window,only get a creak from the centre console when i go into third and put the foot down!!!apart from that me car's the bees knees[;)]

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well big pimp ive had my flywheel replaced by the stealers,as they said it needed replaced because the engine was rocking about crazy,even when sitting in the car u could feel the whole car vibrating,they changed the flywheel and no change[8o|],turned out to be the E.C.U. needed replaced,got done free of charge because they made a boob telling me it was the flywheel[:#],still vibrates a little but only when the engines cold[^o)]

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
nope m8 mine is totally standard,no smoke as far as i know or lumpy,no chips,no remap,i bet it's the E.C.U. m8,all the vw dealers should have an e-mail about this problem,and this is how to cure it,let me know how you get on,all the best golfman.[Y]

·
Registered
193 Posts
i will do that indeed - what i meant was, was your car smoky / rattly before you got the ECU changed?

thanks again mate! glad to know i'm not the only one who's been experiencing problems!

the last time they blamed the lumpiness and all on dirty fuel, but i know this is not the case as i can account for every drop i've ever put in it! they drained the fuel system and told me there may be a slight vibration in the flywheel, or it may be the ECU, but to drive it on till it got worse!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No m8 the car wasn't smokey,but the vibrations were doing my head in so had to get it done straight away,don't accept drive it till it get's worse,kick up a stink and demand a ecu upgrade as im sure there are plenty of gt tdi's have had this done for free,selling car's like this can't be right[:mad:]

·
Registered
193 Posts
thanks for the advice mate - i spoke to my main stealers here in northern ireland, and he knew my car was a GT TDI before i even told him it was as soon as i mentioned ECU problem - they are due to get back to me today about it - however they have said that because my car is out of warranty, VW may not pay the 100% - he said he had the same problem approx 1 month ago, and VW payed for 95% of the ECU, but the customer had to pay for the labour! he did say every case is different, and it all depends on servicing etc!

thanks for all your help again dude, i will keep this post updated about what i'm told!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nice one m8 just glad to be a help,as long as you give them hell they will do the job,like i said before they never should give cars out that way when they know they are not right.they should be calling back all gt tdi owners to replace the ecu[:#]

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
The only rattle is my keys when I put them in the space infront of the
gear stick. I give them a quick shuffle, then they stop!
Doubtless I'll hear loads of 'new' ones now you lot have mentioned
little bits!

Ever thought of putting a little bit of blu-tack or (something like that) onto the rattly parts? Worth a try!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts