Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hola,

I'm an owner of the Diseasal PD 150 and my mate across the other side of the world in Norwich has the 1.8t also 150 brake as we all know.

VW puts the 0-62 at 8.6 for the diesel and 8.5 petrol ... however I read mumerings in many a magazine (well, just Evo actually) that the diesel would open a can of whoop ass on the 1.8t, but never seen anything official! So maybe at the time VW may have been embarrassed that their fastest GTI was an oil burner so fiddled the facts, or maybe Evo is just talking guff!!

Would be interesting to get a wee debate going to gauge everyone's opinions!?

·
Registered
813 Posts
I had a little play with one a week or so back.

I even started a topic called GTI 150 Vs TDI 150. The thing is I whooped him! And he WAS trying. The topic never came to a conclusion as the TDI boys were saying it should have been neck and neck, which I must admit I would have agreed before beating him.

Im not saying that GTI 150's would cane TDI 150's everytime but I have in the past. Would like to test again when I get the opputunity.[:D]

Just my 2p worth

·
Registered
557 Posts
Quote: posted by thomaslaing on 25/02/2005 12:06:14

Hola,

I'm an owner of the Diseasal PD 150 and my mate across the other side of the world in Norwich has the 1.8t also 150 brake as we all know.

VW may have been embarrassed that their fastest GTI was an oil burner so fiddled the facts, or maybe Evo is just talking guff!!

Would be interesting to get a wee debate going to gauge everyone's opinions!?

i dont think the 150 brake petrol gti was VWs fastest in the range i would have said the 180 brake would be quicker.

You tractor boys always got something to prove....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i thought the 180 came out after the 150 gti and gt tdi !? therefore at the time they would have been the fastest ... i may be wrong about the launch dates though!?

well i guess if it isn't as fast i can always fall back on being able to rag the living daylights out of it and still get 46mpg ! not a great brag admittedly!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well there's some who clearly don't care but i'd actually really like to know, has no magazine done a cover on it ... trouble is they're both obviously pretty even so if one was next to empty on fuel and the other had just whacked 40 quid in the tank then you don't quite have an equal race, plus then there's driver skill!! so one blast off at the lights doesn't really proove a lot, it will have to remain a mystery then!

·
Registered
628 Posts
if the horsepower IS the SAME,one car would not cane the other,although one may accelerate faster but that one would have a slower top speed.if it accelerated faster and had a higher top speed,that would mean the engine is doing more work in the same amount of time therefore the horsepower would not be the same.

why don't you diesel boys with somthing to prove stop being so chavish(only a few of you thank god).if you think diesels are so fast why do you have to rely on the old "we get eleventeen million miles to the gallon" chestnut to try and tempt people to the darkside?

don't get me wrong i have a lot of respect for diesel technology but not for some porkheads who are constantly trying to justify to only people who drive petrol cars why they bought one.

ever see a diesel F1 car,ferrari or lambo?

ever see a petrol tractor?

did everyone who bought a petrol car make the wrong decision?what are you trying to prove?

being half a tyre in front at 60mph isn't "open a can of whoop ass"btw.

·
Registered
137 Posts
According to 2003 model year figures the diesel is 60kg heavier. That's like carrying an extra person all the time. Torque and gearing will have an effect on in-gear times, but ultimately the power to weight ratio will be the main factor.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Quote: posted by Gareth_1.8T on 25/02/2005 14:28:07

how many times is this subject (1.8T VS TDI) gonna come up???

until the tractor boys realise they bought the econimical GTI no the fast one...search newbie and you will see

bored now,

·
Registered
796 Posts
Quote: posted by JonJon on 25/02/2005 14:19:32

if the horsepower IS the SAME,one car would not cane the other,although one may accelerate faster but that one would have a slower top speed.if it accelerated faster and had a higher top speed,that would mean the engine is doing more work in the same amount of time therefore the horsepower would not be the same.

why don't you diesel boys with somthing to prove stop being so chavish(only a few of you thank god).if you think diesels are so fast why do you have to rely on the old "we get eleventeen million miles to the gallon" chestnut to try and tempt people to the darkside?

don't get me wrong i have a lot of respect for diesel technology but not for some porkheads who are constantly trying to justify to only people who drive petrol cars why they bought one.

ever see a diesel F1 car,ferrari or lambo?

ever see a petrol tractor?

did everyone who bought a petrol car make the wrong decision?what are you trying to prove?

being half a tyre in front at 60mph isn't "open a can of whoop ass"btw.

AND BREATHE!

christ mate chill out. I see you have 20 posts, you clearly haven't spent much time on the forum. this debate has been done and done and done some more. WE all have a sense of humour about it, I suggest you do the same [:)]

·
Registered
628 Posts
thought it might be a bit ott.i may only have 20 posts but i read a lot.i was wondering when my favorite quote was going to bite me on the khaki button hole.cheers anyway hornetrider

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
150bhp is 150bhp whether its a diesel or not, and regarding the play where the petrol 150 beat the 150 diesel is because one had less bhp than the other.

one thing to remember though is if 2 cars were gonna have a play that have the same power and one makes a mistake by not getting in right gear or something the other car will gain a lot and then the problem is if the car has the same power its not gonna gain and will look as if its been thrashed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Technically it was evo that brought the subject up, i'll write to them and tell them not to be so chavish then!

Anyway how do we define "chavish" ... quick to leap into an argument, angry and hypocritical perhaps!? :)

Can of worms ... very apt! I won't be bringing this up again!!

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ, Oh sorry I fell asleep.

I remember a year or so EVO tested a 330 against a 330d, & guess which was the better car [?]

I like brown bread you like white bread.

The rain in spain falls mainly on the plain.

You say tomato I say tamardo.

Red lorry yellow lorry.

chalk & cheese.

The way I see them is :

1.8T = Fosters

PD150 = Stella

R32 = Stella Party Keg

·
Registered
137 Posts
Quote: posted by Jace on 25/02/2005 20:01:10

The way I see them is :

1.8T = Fosters

PD150 = Stella

R32 = Stella Party Keg

If 1.8T = Fosters then PD150 = shandy

R32 = champagne

·
Registered
737 Posts
Provided that it is launched properly; I would expect a 150 petrol to have the edge. The 150 tdi suffers several problems imo when launching from a standstill to 60mph:

Too much torque low down; hence far too much wheel scrabble and much of that traction is lost.

Gearchanges; petrol car will reach 60 in 2nd easily; diesel won't.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The diesel oil burner is great for towing caravan, boats etc. but I don't see a viable use for it as an everyday car on a public highway. it's place is firmly in the agricultural/haulage domain. There is just too much noise and pollution for a refined automobile.[:D]......[B)]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts