Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, new to the mk4 & diesels, have always driven petrol dubs. My query is about the start up of my car a 1998 mk4 tdi. It takes quite a turn over in the morning to get her started but even after the engine has run to temp when I try to start her it takes a couple of turns, I have it booked it into my local diesel garage on wednesday but was just wondering if anyone here could give me a heads up as to what it could be, Should just say I only bought it last saturday, its runs fantastic, its just start up.

Also the other guy had just had a new glow plug rail fitted to the cost of £200. Can anybody also tell me if my engine is a pd or how I find this out & what pd it is.

Sorry for waffling.

Joe[;)]

·
Registered
179 Posts
Engine code will help on finding out what enigne you have, or can you see the injectors? I'm guessing it's an old common rail engine due to age but may be wrong.

The previous guy said he's changed the glow plug rail?? did he mean the glow plug loom?? I'm guessing so, did he change the glow plugs themselves?? Faulty or failing plugs will cause issues with starting. Also due to you being fresh to tdis are you letting the glow plugs run thier full cycle before fully turning the key? This isn't usually an issue but in colder weather it can be. Is this starting issue aparrant all the time or just when the enigne is cold?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, I have a receipt for £200 from a garage that says "fit glow plug rail & a sensor, cant remember which off hand", as for letting it run its cycle, I assume you mean let the plug light fitted go out before starting? Problem is all the time though not as bad when warm, the guy at my local diesel garage said it doesnt sound right as when the car is warm it should start on the button but it takes a couple of turns first, dont think it is much(fingers crossed[whistle]), just wondering if anyone here could shed some light.

Cheers

Joe

·
Livin' by the sword
5,180 Posts
When was the cambelt last changed? The engine you have needs VCDS to set the injection timing so that could be the problem.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just read in another post "glow plug relay" this guy seems to have the same problem as me, could it be something as simple as the battery needing changed, as I say new to diesels so not sure how much starting power it needs, also I have just had to jump start the car there as battery was dead, will be spending a bit of time & money anyway.

Cheers again for the help.

Joe

·
Registered
179 Posts
If it's a problem with hot starting then it could be any number of things. starting with your 109 relay, your battery, your crank sensor and your starter motor.

It's unlikley that it'll be your fuel pump or your starter motor.

·
Livin' by the sword
5,180 Posts
Just read in another post "glow plug relay" this guy seems to have the same problem as me, could it be something as simple as the battery needing changed, as I say new to diesels so not sure how much starting power it needs, also I have just had to jump start the car there as battery was dead, will be spending a bit of time & money anyway.

Cheers again for the help.

Joe
Battery power is important. The ecu needs to see a certain rpm on the engine before it enables fuel injection. If the engine is spinning too slowly then it just won't fire. I can't recall the engine speed required, but may be 600rpm. If the battery is old then a replacement is always a good idea. That may be your problem, but then again maybe now. Specifically hot starting issues (but cold start okay) can be the starter motor. The windings get hot and it doesn't spin fast enough, with the same result.

The fact that the previous owner had glow plug work done would indicate that the problem is on going though, and I still think you should get the injection timing checked. There's some detail here. Link.

·
Registered
179 Posts
That link is only good to the OP if he has a VE engine. I'm guessing he's got a PD or common rail. Unless I missed something.

·
Livin' by the sword
5,180 Posts
That link is only good to the OP if he has a VE engine. I'm guessing he's got a PD or common rail. Unless I missed something.
We've covered that. I asked if he had the injection pump on his engine, and he said yes. That and the fact that his profile says he has an AGR engine of course. Also if he had a common rail engine I reckon it'd still be covered by manufacturers warranty.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Right just replaced the battery with brand new one, seems to have helped slightly, but still going to take it into my local diesel garage for a full checkover.

Cheers for all the replies.

·
Livin' by the sword
5,180 Posts
Ask them to check the injection timing in line with the link I posted earlier.

Edit: And read up on this thread which is linked to from the Ross Tech page. Link.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok so I have checked the receipts & on the 17/9/10 the receipt says "supply & install new glow plug system, supply & fit new coolant temp switch & seal...£200

I have another receipt dated 15/7/10 to carry out full service & renew cambelt kit..£250.

Don't know if this will shed any light on anything.

Joe

·
Livin' by the sword
5,180 Posts
So the previous owner had the cambelt changed. Then two months later embarked on a quest to try and fix poor starting issues by changing the glowplug stuff. And the glowplugs don't even fire until it gets down close to freezing anyway so that wouldn't be an issue in July.

As previous, ask your mechanic to check injection timing, or even recheck the cam timing first by locking everything in position just to make sure it's not set up wrong.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts