Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys and girls

New to the forum , having just bought a 150BHP TDI 03 , had to trade in the S3 so still pretty sad but really enjoying the golf - its my fourth but my first diesel.

I have a couple of questions, hope you can help

How much oil does a diesel generally use ?( mine has done 23K), how often does it need checking ?( compared to a petrol engine) and which type of oil should I use? ( the one in the manual or do you know of a better/ cheaper one)

Are there any know issues with MK4 golfs that I may need to know about? things that break, need replacing, callbacks

Are there any inexpensive mods I can make to the car at this stage without going too mad on budget ?( I shall have her chipped at AMD next year)

What are peoples opinions on dealings with Heritage VW in Bristol ?

Many thanks

·
Registered
874 Posts
With regards to oil- you must use specific stuff in the PD engines. It's 505.1 if you're on fixed service intervals (think it's 506.1 for variable servicing). There are a couple of companies that make it but I'm sure it's just as cheap to buy it from VW.

As for checking it- I rarely check mine because it doesn't use any between services, however some TDI's will do. I think it mostly depends on how it was driven when it was being run in- mine was a demo and probably thrashed so it uses none. If it was driven more gently for the first 10k miles or so it would probably use a bit.

Having said that, mine still used a little (maybe up to half a litre in 10,000 miles) until it hit about 30k, and since then it hasn't used a drop.

As for mods- after chipping the biggest difference would be from sorting the handling. I'd recommend an Eibach 30mm springs with Bilstein B4 dampers for a good compromise between ride and handling. This will probably set you back about ?300-350 plus fitting (so about ?500 in total).

·
Registered
593 Posts
Oil change comes every 10,000 miles with the service, I usually have to top mine up towards the 7,000 mile mark and it usually takes a fair bit. They aren't called oil burners for nothing! [:p] I usually check mine weekly and definitely before a long journey. You will need specific PD oil that you can get from VW or a few online places I think. You must not use normal diesel engine oil, it has to be the PD stuff.

MK4 golf issues- check the forums! There are a few things that are common. Windows regulators I've always had go, your window will just drop, thud! And wont come back up. Plastic clips are replaced with the metal ones by VW and this cures the problem, I think your dealer will charge around ?80ish, I'm not too sure though.

As for inexpensive mods, you could change the rear clusters, I love the euro spec ones. Headlight bulbs should be changed as the standard ones are very poor. Pick up some Phillips Blue Vision bulbs, H7, for about ?30 pair, much much better for night time driving. You could go for some R32 aluminium trim in the car, buy a uk-mkivs sticker from the forum [;)] , a 4motion front valance you can get from the dealer for ?35ish and looks pretty good, very subtle! The remap is where the real fun starts though!

Enjoy!

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Mine used a lot oil from 17,000 to 30,000 - then it dropped quite a
lot. Don't granny it too much, now and again give it full revs (after
warming up).

I check my oil every 1,000 miles and I need to top up (middle zone to
top zone) every 3,000 miles. As mentioned in prev post use the correct
spec oil, its very important (PD injectors run off the cam and 'normal'
oil shears very quickly). Check for pulsing fans, though u might know
of this general VAG issue.

Would be nice if you could write your views on how the 150 compares to your old S3 (how much better is the S3?)

...Finally fill up with some BP Ulimate and give it some beans [6]

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the comments - I like the idea of the R32 valance - do you have a picture ? and do you know the best place to source it ?

As regards the S3 - brutal car - I had it chipped to 270BHP 0-60 in about 6.2 seconds - performance wise the most I did was 150mph and then had to ease of the throttle because I was getting a little concerned about cameras.

Lots of low end torque and something I will miss is the handling - in standard form still a very fun car to drive. It makes such a difference being used to 4 wheel drive and then going back to 2 especially with the golf understerring and feeling very heavy at the front. Other thing I shall miss is the leather trim.

Loved the S3 although they are very very pricey to maintain simply because its an Audi, parts are very expensive as is servicing and when something goes wrong its always expensive to fix/replace.

Looking forward to some cheaper, more economical but still fun motoring in the Golf

·
Registered
98 Posts
I had a Golf pd130from new, it used a little in the frist 10k, but none after that, I did 55k in mine, I used Mobil 1 turbo diesel oil, at 10k intervals. Had the golf lowered -30 mm on eibachs, 16" monty II's, and a Tunit box upto 160 BHP, if I had kept it maybe I would have put some ARB's on, it was stil a little wooly in the bends, but the springs alone made a signifficant improvment.

Got a Bora pd 130 now, 3k no oil used, as standard it handled as good as the golf when lowered. I've had the bora lowered, 17's put on, revo, 312mm brake disc's, W8 light & De-Locked. Having had both the golf and the bora now, I can definitly say that the bora is a better handleing car, but then I would because I as got one.[:p]

·
Registered
874 Posts
Thanks for all the comments - I like the idea of the R32 valance - do you have a picture ? and do you know the best place to source it ?
It's R32 interior trim he mentions, and a 4motion front valance. But you don't need one of those 'cos you'll already have one!

The 150PD's come as standard with the 4-mo style valance (slightly different as it has the outer vents open not closed like the 4mo).

Here's a pic of my 4mo one;

Posted Image

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm surprised you used Mobil 1 TD oil. I don't doubt its very good oil but has it passed the 501 standard?
I checked the can it meets VW standard 502 00, 505 00 & 503 01, dosen't mention the 501 standard, are these higher????

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Hello,

My PD130 has used about 1/3rd of the oil between the min and max marks
on the dipstick since new which is six months and 4K mile. I check the
level every one to two weeks depending upon how much I use the car. The
manual suggests that normal consumption is about one litre every one
thousand miles.

HTH

·
Registered
487 Posts
As regards the S3 - brutal car - I had it chipped to
270BHP 0-60 in about 6.2 seconds - performance wise the most I did was
150mph and then had to ease of the throttle because I was getting a
little concerned about cameras.
A little late to worry about cameras when you're hitting 150mph!! More than twice the spped limit lol

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
I've had my PD150 since new, back in May 03, done almost 81k in her now, 23k of that being Jabba Remapped.[:D]

Only 1 time has anything gone wrong & that was the Climate Fans, which were replaced under warranty. [Y]

Oil wise, the harder your drive (faster) the more oil your gona use I've found, but saying that, it wont be a lot, maybe a mm or 2 on the stick per 1k. I check my fluids on a weekly basis anyway, just habbit.

Mod wise, stick a green pannel filter in & get a remap.

[Y]

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jace,

Green panel filter ? - Is that just a change in the air filter ? - I tried that on the Audi and it caused my MAF to fail from the coating on the filter element so I removed it and I did not notice any difference in performance.

Do you recommend them for this type of car ?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts