Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I currently have a GTTDI 130, and I am going to replace it in the spring/summer.

Does anyone know when the 160bhp diesel GTI is coming out?

Also, will this be the most powerful diesel variant in the mk5 or are there plans for more power?

Cheers

Micahel

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi Michael, and welcome to the forum

There has been some talk about a diesel GTI/GTD/GTTDI but as yet, nothing is confirmed, at least that i am aware of. However AFAIK the Passat is getting a 160bhp TDI engine in March, so it sould appear in a golf before the end of 2005, probably November, in some shape or form.

Whether they give it the GTI badge/styling is another thing, but the rumour mill suggests they will. :)

I too would be very interested in such a beast, even a 4motion 160 TDI.

·
Registered
226 Posts
There will be a Diesel GTI out later this year. Its will have a 170PC (168bhp) 2.0 TDI engine dropped in it. It is a rechipped version of the Diesel in the MK5 GT TDI cars.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
If thats the case, then why bother buying it? It would be much easier and cheaper to remap the GT TDI's. I was hoping they would use the larget turbo as used in the VW racing TDI cars which would allow the power to be pushed over 200bhp.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have just been reading the FAQ's on the www.newgolfgti.co.uk site:-

Will there be a diesel GTI?

Yes, a 2.0-litre TDI PD 160PS is planned as a future addition to the range. Timing is yet to be finalised.

Do you think audi will introduce this unit first as they did with the 2.0 T FSI? If so, I may be interested in the A3 Sport Back, but i would prefer the GTI.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
If it's going to have quattro it really should have 200bhp, seems a bit pointless at 160bhp with the extra weight burden of the 4wd system.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When does the GT TDI 140 4motion come out? I read may 2005 in the auto express...?

What would a chip take it to, 170bhp? Does this invalidate the warranty?

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Depends who you get to chip it. Most chips are currently in the high 170-180's that ive seen quoted. Most reputable chipping companys (superchips and oettinger) will maintain the warrenty for you. Therefore if anything goes wrong as a result of the car being chipped, they will pay.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Revo Dont do its as yet but they have the code just are checking it out to make sure is ok and fine tuning i sent them an E-mail and got this back

We are currently developing the new PD140 software.....we should have development updates in the NEW YEAR.

Regards,

Simon Howarth

·
Registered
322 Posts
thing with chipping is the warranty. only 12 months with superchips, but with ottinger - u can get the vw guys to do that for you so still a 3 year warranty i beleive.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Quote: posted by Wish on 08/01/2005 13:11:44

160bhp, hardly worthy of the GTI badge in my opinion.

Exactly what i was thinking. Am i not right in thinking that this is a heavier car than the MK IV? If that is the case, is the extra power not consumed by the weight?

·
Registered
782 Posts
I think, and im not trying to start a war. But the GTI should be left for petrol engines.

Yer sure put Diesel in the GT form but dont give it the look of the GTI

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Quote: posted by Wish on 08/01/2005 15:34:42

I think, and im not trying to start a war. But the GTI should be left for petrol engines.

Yer sure put Diesel in the GT form but dont give it the look of the GTI

We've said that many times mate....

Let the onslought begin [:D]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts