Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

Diesel Geek Vs Audi TT short shifters

Mk4 Golf 
Tags
mk4 golf
3K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  turbo paul 
#1 ·
I used to have the Audi TT s elector mechanism fitted to my old GTI - I found it to be just ok and ended up cutting down the gear lever to get a more reduced throw. Now I'm looking at fitting a short shifter to my new GTI and I'm totally undecided between the TT and the Diesel Geek -

One problem for me is the Diesel Geek one doesn't look stock - I really wanted to keep everything looking as stock as possible but I reckon I could overlook that if the benefits of fitting it are really as good as people say.

Is there any chance someone on here has experienced both so they could give a comparison?

And which Diesel Geek one is the best one - Race or Ultra?

#2 ·
I have the ultra diesel geek shifter and it's amazing. Its a little stiff but not notchy and i dont even notice its there anymore. I drove my friends 1.8t without a short shifter and it felt nasty. definately one of my favourite mods.

I'm not sure on the differences between the race and ultra though.

#6 ·
Quote: posted by Martyn on 07/03/2005 14:31:48

TBH they would never know shane??

Have I met you before at some of the vage meets m8?

Never been to the any meets but I have posted on the forum - I had my car stolen about 6/8 weeks ago while I was abroad - scumbags broke into my folks house and stole the keys. I just got a replacement last firday and was undecided about fitting a diesel geek - not now though. I think I'll order one today Just need to decide on race or ultra.... [:D]

You Irish based so?

#12 ·
Quote: posted by ADi Nuff Valves on 07/03/2005 23:06:28

I'm looking into getting one of these soon. Anyone get stung for import duty when they ordered there's?

Nope but its pot luck. For example I did get stung for duty with the Phatnoise.

Given the exchange rate there won't be a better time to buy unless you are in the US sometime soon.[;)]

#15 ·
Well you get what you pay for. The TT shifter is very cheap but the improvement is only slight. I have the DG Ultra Shifter (ULTRA has the aluminium billet cable end and cant be adjusted as DG claims it has been machined to catch the front to back perfectly, the RACE version has the plastic spring catches on each end which can be adjusted, the throw on both is reduced the same amount).

DG Ultra takes about 20 mins to install excluding time for the adjustment procedure. Overall shifting changes for definate, its of course a much shorter throw than standard (really how it should have come from its homeland). When you engage a gear it requires that little bit more effort to push as it clicks it to gear (this is due to it not having a weight). I have been driving it for a couple of weeks now and have got used to it, and now thinking back I dont know how I was driving with the standard shifting, it just felt fake before and its alot more positive now (if you know what I mean).

Although Im still tinkering with the adjustment to get it perfect as I think it may be slightly off [:I]

At the end of the day its all about the driving experience, if your happy with the standard setup with the longer throws and softer engagement of gears then all means stick it, but if you want to shorten the throw and get a more postive feel then get the DG shifter.

I didnt have to pay any import duty, and took about a week to arrive.

#17 ·
Quote: posted by Grant Wesgate on 08/03/2005 14:28:42

Tell me if i'm intruding here guys but we are the UK importer for EIP tuning. We've sold a shed load of they're short shifts with thumbs up everytime. We sell them for ?85.00+VAT.

They are for the 6 speed boxes. http://www.westecperformance.co.uk/acatalog/Other_Products.html

Thats for the 4motion too is it?

Also if we do a GB with you is there any discount applicable? Pleeeeeaaaaaaase[:I]

#21 ·
I fitted my diesel geek race shifter today - it fitted easy and didn't required any real adjusting. So far I'm very happy. The throw has been considerably reduced but better than that the shift is much more mechanical and solid and the VW/Audi wobble is gone. Well worth the money. And I wouldn't necessarily say the gear change is notchy, more like it's more mechanical and it makes a nice 'schnick' sound when changing now.....

I suspect that when I get the poly dog bone mount bush fitted the gear change will be in a different world to the crappy standard GTI change.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.