Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Following on from the petrol (gasoline) thread, I wondered who uses what diesel in their motor? I use almost exclusively Shell Diesel Extra.

Sarge

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
i always use Shell Diesel Extra! Dunno how good it is, but thats what i use! was 87.9p/l the other day though! [:(]

·
Registered
920 Posts
Quote: posted by PaulGT on 01/04/2005 09:39:11

i always use Shell Diesel Extra! Dunno how good it is, but thats what i use! was 87.9p/l the other day though! [:(]

it's nearly 90p here [:(]

·
Registered
874 Posts
Usually Esso diesel.

Have used Shell Extra a few times and noticed no difference. I usually just go to the Esso 'cos I used to work in one![:D]

Filled up the other day with Shell Extra so I might give it a few tankfuls this time to see if I notice any difference.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I have been using BP Ultimate diesel, but its getting dear now - 92.9p a litre last time I filled up [:O]

Lots of recent posts seem to recommending Shell diesel extra - Is this a performance diesel, like the BP Ultimate?

There's no shell stations that I go by regularly though (its all BP where I go), so will have to find one!

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
I use BPU with some millers diesel power plus added, rocket fuel [:D]

I'd like to try the shell stuff but cant find any in my area [V]

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Shell Diesel Extra whenever I can, but I'm not convinced that it actually makes a difference. Prepared to give it the benefit of the doubt, while there's no price penalty. Never found any BP Ultimate Diesel to try it, but somebody posted good reports, performance wise, on here a while back.

·
Mk4 for 13 years
993 Posts
Im into shell diesel extra with a dash of millers for good measure now and again, but might give BP ulitmate a try for a tank or two just to see if there is any difference. Just out of curiosity. Im lucky enough to have the two on tap locally.

·
Registered
196 Posts
i use BP ulitmate plus millers it makes my thing go like f**k!!! i noticed a big difference when i started useing it, Esso made the car really smooth to drive but slow!! and shell made the engine load and rattley but still quick, but BP was a good mix of the 2 quick and smooth!!

·
Registered
383 Posts
I feed mine with either esso (when i'm skint, which is most of the time) or BP Ultimate if i'm doing long trips.

I wouldn't touch shell with a very long barge pole, they might have improved but i still remember when shell screwed up and produced a fuel that burnt the valves out of vw engines back in the 80s.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Quote: posted by JDP on 01/04/2005 14:49:28

What's the problem with supermarket diesel??

It's a different grade to main garages, it's usually cheaper and there is a quality reason why it is. Usually the ron is lower or/and there aren't as many additives and cleaners in the fuel.

You may well see an Esso or BP tanker filling the super markets, but not out of the same tank (the trailers are compartmentised).

More worryingly super markets usually have a higher level of sediment in there fuels too.

There was a big bit about this on the club gti forum nearly a year ago.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Quote: posted by vrooooom on 01/04/2005 14:59:22

Quote: posted by JDP on 01/04/2005 14:49:28

What's the problem with supermarket diesel??

It's a different grade to main garages, it's usually cheaper and there is a quality reason why it is. Usually the ron is lower or/and there aren't as many additives and cleaners in the fuel.

You may well see an Esso or BP tanker filling the super markets, but not out of the same tank (the trailers are compartmentised).

More worryingly super markets usually have a higher level of sediment in there fuels too.

There was a big bit about this on the club gti forum nearly a year ago.

As i work in the oil industry (downstream), i thought i would clarify a few things.

First off a word on fuels. In a diesel the main number to be concerned with is Cetane number. This is how easily or difficult it is for a fuel to combust under pressure. Higher cetane number = easier to combust. I believe a cetane number of 55 or more is specified in the vw handbook.

Supermarkets use the same base consituent fuel as the major petrol stations. That means it comes out of the same pipe when it the crude is cracked. The only difference is the amount of detergent and after treatment that is put into the various fuels.

If you are under the impression that a particular fuel gives you better or worse performance at the equivalent cetane (diesel) or petrol (RON) number then this is more likely to be the detergent than anything else.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Yep agreed, another case of "Emperors New Clothes"

Fill mine up anywhere, not fussy and can't tell the difference at all.

The only thing i'll choose if I can is the cheapest.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts