Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Like A Bawwsss
25,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to stick diesel driveshafts into a 1.8T?

At a guess, it could be theoretically possible providing they are the same inner CV joint. Im just sick of knocking CV joints and my car isnt exactly low either.

If anyone has any advice would be appreciated.

Chris

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hi mate, sorry cant help you much but I am doing something similar.

Im going to attempt to fit R32 drive shafts on my V6 4motion. Im fitting the R32 hubs, wishbones tierods ect which is a well known proven mod. The only reason im going as far as fitting the drive shafts is because I got them as part of the R32 front end suspension i got. I did ask around if it was possible to fit the R32 driveshafts to the 4motion but nobody seemed to have tried it. The R32 driveshafts are audi based and have an 8NO part number the ones on my 4motion are golf mk4 based (1JO part number) the only problem i can invisage is the depth of the inner cv cup fitting into the flange on the gearbox but ive not had mine off to see if theres any difference. The other area that might be different is the end that the hub nut fits onto. There can be differences on how they attach to the hubs but the only difference im aware of is between 2wd-4wd applications so you should be fine. you could look into SEAT cupra R shafts but they are probably same as R32?? Or some FWD Audi TT shafts

·
has been
7,414 Posts
r32 shafts on 4mo should be no issue, all 02m mk4/ tt / s3 boxes use the same flange.

i was looking for a 1.8t shaft earlier today at the breakers and all the derv ones looked similar to the 2.08v / 1.6 / 1.4 shafts which have round inner cv where the 1.8t has star shaped and they use smaller m8 spline bolts where the 1.8t uses m10s

·
Registered
216 Posts
Been looking more into the driveshafts, looks like theres a difference between 5speed and 6 speed gearbox CV flanges too!

·
Registered
772 Posts
My derv seems to be eating CV joints too so wouldn't waste too much time. The design with these crappy fragile shells is terrible.

I've made my decision to sell up and buy a jap car which will not break down so often.

·
Registered
216 Posts
IMO theres not so much an issue with the design of the CVs if they are on a standard car, the issues seem to be when something has been modified or lowered loads ect. when lowering and modding alot of bits its only to be expected that other parts will suffer that wernt designed to take the extra pressures, good research and mixing of oem parts can help though.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Slightly offtopic but does anyone know for sure if the MK4 SDI uses smaller CV cups than the 110 TDI? Bought a NS driveshaft off eBay and the CV cup is proportionally smaller than what was fitted to my 110. Am told it is off an SDI but my understanding was that the only difference SDI and TDI was the SDI didn't have a turbo.

Finally, does anyone know if there are any other models that use the same shafts as my Golf?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts