Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered a short shift kit from Diesal Geek inn the states last week and it arrived this week while I was away working in Ireland. Came home last night to see it sat there waiting for me. Total price for the race kit including shipping to the UK was ?78, the good exchange rate obviously helping!

On the webiste theres a set of very detailed, clear, instructions although fitting it is pretty straightforwrd and only took me about 20 minutes to complete. Even re-alighning the gear s elector is childs play!

The kit you get sent through is very complete using a lot of OEM parts. Looking at it, it looks like it has been made to a very high standard - obviously time and use will tell but I am confident it will be fine.

So whats it like? The change is a touch notchier compared to stock as expected but the shorter shift is brilliant [:D] Definatley worth the money!!!!

J.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Welcome to the dieselgeek club.[:D] Agree a good mod, wouldn't go back to stock now despite slight compromise in smoothness. Must have had mine for over a year now.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I was JUST about to post the exact same bloody thread!

I bought mine in classifieds for ?60, unused.

The kit is very well made - and although at first read, the instructions seem a little tricky, after a quick look thru the pics online I printed them off and took them under the bonnet with me!

My car battery is clearly the BIGGEST sucker they had in the lorry department (Swedish market - cold starts!) so i opted to whip the airbox off.

After 30 mins of careful following directions, it was all done.

The trickiest bit (in time really) was the removal of the weighted arm from the splined s elector shaft....taking 5 mins of the total.

Seems that the harmonisation of VW's excellent engineering and the dieselgeek precision make for a match made in quick-change heaven.

I have the 'race' version of the kit which makes for wrist-flick speed of change.

WELL RECOMMENDED!

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've got the race version as well [:D] fantastic piece of kit! The instructions are definately very complete!!!!

The hardest part of my install was also the removel of the old weighted arm, didn't get to the swearing stage though

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
The gearbox is ALOT shorter in travel in both axis now.....in fact 5th to third seems like you only need to slightly change to pressure on the gear s elector as you hop to and from neutral - rather than any kind of real sideways movement.

I highly recommend this mod to anyone who, like me, thinks the OEM setup, although easy, is far from quick.

Sure, it's notchier, but nothing you can't get used to.........

GRIN FACTOR = 9/10

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Had the Neuspeed short shift kit on mine for ages and I'd be interested to compare it with yours James.

Does make changing more notchy though.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Gonna sound sexist, but it's not a female-friendly mod....apologies for the generalisation.

The 'race' version of the geekster is perhaps notchier than the stock version? I have not made a comparison myself.

Gary - why not get the replacement TT shift arm as a 'halfway house' upgrade.

Bank manager friendly at about ?15.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I thought about going down the TT shift arm route a couple of months ago after EddyH suggested it to me, so I ordered one from my local Audi dealer which still hadn't arrived after 2 weeks then I ended up forgetting about it. May have to put another call in.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Foxy, I thought you would have been jumped on from a great height and battered with a fake Gucci handbag for your comments above!

I suppose there's still time.....Go get him girls!! [:D]

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LOL...Foxy's comment is fair if you ask me, you wouldn't want a bird to be as strong as a fella now would you [:D] [:D] [:D]

But what are you implying about the women who frequent this board Gary? Fake Gucci?

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I really love this new found enjoyment with the short-shift kit fitted.

The car actually feels nice and sporty as a package even tho all i've fitted is the shift kit.

If you want to put the icing on the 'tuning' cake, get one of these kits.......and if you want a try of one first, drop in and try mine!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Im hopefull going to be ordering one of these soon.... No doubt ill have to phone you up mate when the gears are all in bits i know it!

Wez

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I haven't changed the shifter, I found just doing the re-alignment procedure gave the precision back to a very vague change. The dieselgeek instructions were top notch[;)] and very easy to follow.

R

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote: posted by Wez on 30/04/2004 15:12:07

Im hopefull going to be ordering one of these soon.... No doubt ill have to phone you up mate when the gears are all in bits i know it!

Wez

Dude, get it ordered and pop round, we'll have that puppy fitted in no time... LOL famous last words hey!

J.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I have the DG Race version and it is bloody awful. Notchy as hell in comparison to stock, shorter throws? Yes, but you pay a heavy price. I?m still in two mind if it has made be shift quicker, as the throws are so much more notchier, you have to be more careful to shift, therefore you end up taking twice as long to shift whereas before pre-mod you shift with a finger and you are away?. If anyone is contemplating this mod, I would be sure to consider this very carefully. I may even take mine off and put it in the classifieds for free for some one to put onto their car and they can then see how crap it is. Be warned, some here are praising it and it can be very easy to buy into the temptation of appraisal but I kid you not it is AWFUL! I actually believe it is doing damage to the syncros, very rough, in some way it has tainted the butter smoothness of the pleasure of gear changing - scratch that actually it HAS made a mockery of it... Oh and I am not a girl [read above comments about female-unfriendly] although I do park like one and have 4 kerbed alloys to show for it?

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
RS2002,

Wez has driven my car and the shift is fine, ever so slightley notchier yes but not but much. My cars been back to the dealers for warrenty work and they never even noticed I had the shifter fitted.

Perhaps you got yourself a dud one? Or maybe the 6 speed box on the r32 is better suited to the quick shift kits?

J.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts