Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I washed and waxed the car last night using

Hose rinse

Turtle Wax Extreme wash and wax

Hose rinse

Dry with Turtle Wax Silicone blade and Chamois

Wax with Turtle Wax precision wax (smells lovely!)

I'm not a Turtle Wax whore or anything.. it just seems to be what I grabbed while in Halfords.

Anyway, after this mornings frost had cleared the sun came out and she was looking a bit special so I took a pic.

Now I know the car is still new (had since Jan 06 - 7000 miles) so the paint doesnt need much work, but it goes to show what can be achieved using basic products and methods on your new motors. You have no excuse!

Matt.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is another shot - top down

I havent invested in a propper lambs wool wash mit yet. I bought a cotton one from Tescos which I havent used yet. (looks a bit ropey - a bit like short white dreadlocks)

I'm still using an old-skool sponge (risky I know). I make sure my shampoo solution is relatively strong to give maximum lubrication between sponge and paint.

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
I'm never have time to spend hours cleaning my car - how long did its take, Matt ?

Has anyone seen / used the product Hydrowax ?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm generally quike a slow worker on things like this. Full wash and rinse about 45mins - 1h. I do a real good job to make sure there is no dirt/grit on the car before I start waxing.

Waxing takes ages - about an hour to apply - about 20 mins to buff (the fun part)

tbh, this is the first real propper wash and wax ive done since mid Jan. In between the full waxing, I do a quick wash and hose down. I've even used the deadly Jet Wash when I find myself away from home on my travels and I cant see out of my windows for all the road salt and traffic film! (yes it gets that bad sometimes!)

Its always rewarding to sit back and admire the results after some hard grafting with the buffing cloths!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Damian,

You sure know how to pick a glamorous shot!

If you find yourself with a bit of spare time, give the detailing a go. A good wash down and nice wax job should do the trick.

If you havent been giving her much much attention over the years, you might need to use a clay bar to brighten her up. Never used one myself, but the guys on this forum rave on about it for its ability to remove contaminants from the paint surface.

·
Registered
126 Posts
be careful of Tesco mitts and micro fibre cloths they are one of the reasons for the scratchs and swirls on my diamond black-you are far better to invest in some good quality mitts and mf cloths-Meguiars in Halfords are ok ,even better are the ones from the online sites like clean and shiny and serious performance/motorgeek.

Always test them on a cd disc then you will see if they scratch the disc they will scratch your paint!

Your Black would look stunning topped off with P21S wax it is ever so easy to apply " a doddle".

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Meguiars in Halfords are ok ,even better are the ones from the online sites like clean and shiny and serious performance/motorgeek.

Always test them on a cd disc then you will see if they scratch the disc they will scratch your paint!
better still check out the GB section........i'm doing some EXCELLNT microfibre cloths at the moment

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is it this one?

P21-S
Concours Look Carnauba Paste Wax
A great Carnauba paste wax that offers arguably the deepest, "wet look" shine available on the market. Its pure blend of Brazilian #1 yellow carnauba and beeswax deliver a finish that is truly incredible!
P21S Wax does not chalk or leave white residue stains on rubber, plastics or matt finish paints.
Contains no abrasives, additives, dyes or perfumes. It is designed to enhance and protect paint, and can be layered for extra depth and endurance
If you're thinking about taking the plunge into high quality car care products but without the high costs often involved, here's the place to begin.
6.2oz/175g
SPCCLW

?17.99

Looks a little pricey for what looks like quite a small tub. Would it really give the finish something extra over what I have achieved in the above pictures, or would I be better to spend my money on paint preparation i.e. a good polish or clay bar?

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
THATS THE ONE [Y]

and yeah, it'll blow you away......

but yeah, preperation is important too, as is the applicators you use [Y]

*check my GB in the GB section...........*

·
Registered
126 Posts
mattie check this thread of mine from Nov last year

http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forums/399091/ShowPost.aspx

both topped off with P21S wax and you only need to use small amount it goes a long way and like butter to apply like essex say will blow your mind--and like me order some of those BLUE PERL mf cloths and application pads --they are the dogsbs--when you have invested so much on your car the price of these to keep it looking the works is nothing.

Try them.

PS where in Co.Durham are you--my parents live in Darlington-but fom Sunderland orginally-LOL re the football team though!!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Sturn,

I quite fancy using a wax that has the consistency of butter. Sounds like it should save me some time too.

I'm living just outside Durham City. Just moved here from Bishop Auckland (Although i'm origionaly from the Midlands)

With regards to applying wax...

I have been using a small section of cotton polising cloth by applying wax to the cotton and then wiping it on the paint. I just dont like the idea of applicator pads for some reason. What if you pick up a bit of grit or tar from the paint surface? Doesnt this then stick to the pad for you to grind into the paint work all over the car? With cotton cloth, I can use a fresh section for every pannel to avoid this.

Have you ever had dirt build up on your pad?

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Hi Sturn,

I quite fancy using a wax that has the consistency of butter. Sounds like it should save me some time too.

I'm living just outside Durham City. Just moved here from Bishop Auckland (Although i'm origionaly from the Midlands)

With regards to applying wax...

I have been using a small section of cotton polising cloth by applying wax to the cotton and then wiping it on the paint. I just dont like the idea of applicator pads for some reason. What if you pick up a bit of grit or tar from the paint surface? Doesnt this then stick to the pad for you to grind into the paint work all over the car? With cotton cloth, I can use a fresh section for every pannel to avoid this.

Have you ever had dirt build up on your pad?
pads are far better........trust me.

or indeed use microfibre cloths.

the pads are excellent as they show up any dirt, and you can easily remove the offending item.

check out my cloth GB, or indeed the feeler for pads......

cotton cloth aint good......you could find its give swirls, or at least mirco-scratching.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I washed and waxed the car last night using

Hose rinse

Turtle Wax Extreme wash and wax

Hose rinse

Dry with Turtle Wax Silicone blade and Chamois

Wax with Turtle Wax precision wax (smells lovely!)

I'm not a Turtle Wax whore or anything.. it just seems to be what I grabbed while in Halfords.

Anyway, after this mornings frost had cleared the sun came out and she was looking a bit special so I took a pic.

Now I know the car is still new (had since Jan 06 - 7000 miles) so the paint doesnt need much work, but it goes to show what can be achieved using basic products and methods on your new motors. You have no excuse!

Matt.
Nice finish, I'm always keen to see the results from 'off the shelf' products,

looking at your list , I would swiftly switch to platinum wash or many other washes without wax, I have had my golf 11 months now and tried a host of washes, I'm now sworn on swarfega vehicle wash, top draw and 6 quid for 5 litres.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts