Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well had a pretty serious accident first thing this morning, got up, left house.............woke up smoke everywhere, woman screaming am i ok. Thought i was dreaming then she said she was driving past and my car was in her way! Car absolutely destroyed unrecognizable, all airbags deployed and all windows shattered. Had Air Ambulance, 3 fire trucks, Police, 2 ambulances and an RRv. Air ambulance was stood down. I am ok really chest and head injuries plus damage to my hip but nothing broke and though they wanted to keep me in they were happy for me to come home, so i am propped in front of my comp! Police think that a deer has run out and i swerved (can't think of any other reason i would swerve on a 100% straight rd) and the rest is history. I had not even applied brakes as no skid marks. Though witness said she saw someone speeding off around just after, so police are looking into it.

I have been to see car and although a mess most is salvageable (not one body panel is undamaged though), engine though only in the car by 1 mount is is pretty much untouched, + plus most other mods are ok. Obviously things like the comp ally trim etc are all ok as is everything inside the car (airbags were deployed). There is a list of things on the link below fancy anything send me an email.... (have to wait till insurance chap has been but register interest now.)

Anyway not much else to do so sorry if i have waffled, just bored sat in this one position i can't move from....

These pics i took today, though i must say it does not look too bad in pics..... IT IS!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
glad your ok mate that sounds like a very serious one, you might be quite sore tommorow, Hope this doesn't mean the end of mkiv ownership for you.

All the best, have a speedy recovery.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Jesus Christ matey!!

Good to hear you're OK, but of course sad to hear the Golf is a wreck, you best take it easy for a while checking out Autotrader or somesuch for a new steed!

What a downer!!

·
Registered
881 Posts
Oh my god, glad to here that you got out ok!

Just jemember the car is only a piece of metal and can be replaced!

Maybe with something that you've fancied for a while but haven't got round to changing?

·
Registered
530 Posts
mother of god, i hope you are not seriously injured. Just think if you were in a smaller car, you might not have been so lucky!

I do hope you have a speedy recovery!

And i also hope you still stick with VW

Noel

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
bugger me, that sounds pretty nasty! Glad your ok though!! Must of been very surreal with all that going on!

I remember hearing a while ago on crash investigation they say its harder these days to find out if people have braked due to more cars with abs etc!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have to agree!

Glad that you are here to tell the tale! Hope you are really OK. Just take things easy for a while.

Hope the Police DO find the other driver.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Where was this? I had to pull over this morning for a police car and then had to pull over again for an ambulance bout 1 min later. This was about 8.45am this morning. Was up near the go kart place on the brixham to paignton road.

Glad to hear your ok. Shame to see the car go though as you kept it in pristine nick. I take it everything was declared on insurance?

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Graham, Yes was just by there on the road to Dartmouth/Kingswear, (Kennels Rd) turn right at the Ford garage just past the go kart place, but was approx 09:30 - 09:39.

Yes insurance all fine and they are happy for me to keep car, so i should be able to sell most of it, just the body is destroyed not a panel that isn't smashed and dented plus the chassis is twisted, like someone has got the front and the back and wrung it out, very bizzare....

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
These were heading into paignton way. That road is quite fast, I always seem to screech the tyres going round a corner (about halfway between the ford garage and the roundabout where you turn off to your place, just as you hit the tree's and spooky bit!).

If it's just after the turn in by the ford garage then I could quite easily assume that someone could have sped off or been speeding in the first place. Do you not remember anything at all? Did you take some hedge out or something hence kind of spinning and hitting the hedge a few times?

Wonder if the petrol station might have picked anything up on their CCTV? Depends if they can see the road or not. Doubt the garage on the go kart side would have CCTV unfortunately. Depends which way they went though.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
[:O] Anthony - So glad you're OK, what a shock. You seem remarkably pragmatic about your pride and joy!

Funny you mention parts vultures, I hydraulic'ed my engine like an idiot in floodwater on Tuesday and am having a new engine fitted (already sourced). Hopefully you can transfer your parts into a similar replacement.

Keep us posted with updates and I hope you will be well enough to come up to the meet to see us all with your friend in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Was on the straight spooky bit garage bound (was going to dentist), yes embankment a good 10ft up it back onto rd then ping ponged of each side till i stopped about 100ft down the rd. Police think that a deer must have run out hence i swerved on a straight rd without braking and then well used trees, hedges, mud and tarmac to slow me to a stop.

No don't remember a thing, such a strange experienced being KO'D too, as i came round there was just this woman screaming "are you alright" i thought i was dreaming...

Yes James i hope so, i am trying to get him to get his 2.0L TDi remapped and go on the rollers, but i will try and come even if i borrow my mates touran! If you need anything else let me know! Engine is fine apparently so is turbo etc. Intercooler not so good though!

I won;t be getting another MK4 but i am either going to get a Touran or an S3. Not sure yet and a design i will take very carefully. i am gutted about my car but there is nothing i can do, and at least part of her can live on in others. (Bit like organ donation i suppose)!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Glad to hear you're ok....sounds like you had a really lucky escape. Shame about the car but at least you got off lightly.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Was on the straight spooky bit garage bound (was going to dentist), yes embankment a good 10ft up it back onto rd then ping ponged of each side till i stopped about 100ft down the rd. Police think that a deer must have run out hence i swerved on a straight rd without braking and then well used trees, hedges, mud and tarmac to slow me to a stop.

No don't remember a thing, such a strange experienced being KO'D too, as i came round there was just this woman screaming "are you alright" i thought i was dreaming...

Yes James i hope so, i am trying to get him to get his 2.0L TDi remapped and go on the rollers, but i will try and come even if i borrow my mates touran! If you need anything else let me know! Engine is fine apparently so is turbo etc. Intercooler not so good though!

I won;t be getting another MK4 but i am either going to get a Touran or an S3. Not sure yet and a design i will take very carefully. i am gutted about my car but there is nothing i can do, and at least part of her can live on in others. (Bit like organ donation i suppose)!
Know where you mean. Like everyone has stated, dunno how your so calm about it all! What stereo you got in there? I'm on the lookout at the moment.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Only a gamma, linked to phatnoise a sub and an amp. The sub i have is built into an enclosure that goes into the cupboard in the boot, really neat and tidy and loose no boot space or spare wheel!

To be honest i don't know how else to be could be the painkillers, but there is nothing i can and yes my pride and joy is beyond repair but i am alive and relatively well and can look foreword to my nest car... (A slower one probably)!

1 - 20 of 80 Posts